TLW at the Upstream Festival

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

pahouk

TLW at the Upstream Festival

Postby pahouk » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:30 am

The Long Winters will be playing the Upstream Festival on May 12 : http://upstreammusicfest.com/Fest/Lineu ... inters/699. Not sure if it's going to be a full band set or just John but I'm looking forward to it.

Edited to add: An article in The Stranger mentions the 'recently reunited' Long Winters so I'm guessing it's a band show. I'm curious which version of the band will be playing.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Re: TLW at the Upstream Festival

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:42 am

Could be that the 'reunited' part is inspired by the recent new music, though. Knowing John that might not be clear until the actual festival :-)

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:46 am

Wait: John on Instagram: 'with all the amps'.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSjU2J5ALW9/

That sounds like band show, doesn't it?

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:08 pm

It looks like The Long Winters will be playing at Axis: http://upstreammusicfest.com/Fest/Schedule.aspx. This venue is listed as 21+.

Edited to add: The schedule shows that TLW will be playing from 9:45 to 10:45, which is a pretty short set. Maybe if we all refuse to leave we can force the organizers to let them keep playing.

FYI: I got my instructions for Upstream. It appears that you won't be allowed to bring any purses or bags into the venues unless they are clear vinyl (like the kind approved by the NFL for attending football games). I'm not sure why they're doing this but I thought I'd let people know in case they were thinking about attending.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Sat May 13, 2017 12:17 pm

so jealous of those who could attend this show. Just look at this setlist!! If anyone was there: is Sleepless a new song, or am I missing something?

thankfully the KEXP session is available on video though: https://www.facebook.com/kexp.fm/videos/10155387897773112/.
lots of great banter. I know I'm a total nerd, but I realised straightaway that this was a unique line-up, since Nabil and Sean had never played live together.

this has me all excited. if only that new album shit is real, that would be awesome. just awesome.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Sat May 13, 2017 3:18 pm

It's been some time since I've been up front at a Long Winters band show. It was definitely a rock show with a lot of energy. You can tell by the setlist someone posted that they played a great selection of songs, including a new song! Nabil flew in from New York. Eric was back playing the bass. The banter between John and Sean is always fun. Although it was supposed to be an hour show but it ran closer to one and a half. I am now the proud owner of a Long Winters kazoo and a few stickers. Somehow I've never been able to get a kazoo so I'm happy. John mentioned the stickers are old. They have a penguin with "The Long Winters" written across the front. Anyone know the vintage of them? A few things from the show:

John couldn't remember the opening to Cinnamon so someone looked it up on their phone.

New Girl was the "last" song of the set (Clouds and Commander were the "encore") so it featured an extended banter session between John and Sean. The insults got longer and more complex.

Commander featured a long guitar solo by John. The band kept trying to catch his eye to see when to end the song.

John made the other three band members swear they would get back together and play more shows. He then asked any booking agents or even someone who has money to book them for a show. I think we should get together and crowdfund a Long Winters world tour.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon May 15, 2017 10:36 am

Nice, thanks for your report. More shows would be great.
I think the penguin stickers are from the Putting the Days to Bed era. Oh no, hang on, in my archive of TLW nerd stuff I found a photo which says it dates from the Ultimatum days. There also was a penguin t-shirt; different penguin though...

Return to “Give Me a Moment”