Western State Hurricanes - LP + Reunion Show

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Cynical_Satan
Current Heading: North

Western State Hurricanes - LP + Reunion Show

Postby Cynical_Satan » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:29 am

It seems relevant to spread the word here too

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/west ... debut-lp#/

With your help, Latent Print Records is very proud to announce that we will be releasing the oft whispered about unfinished recordings of the Western State Hurricanes for the first time ever on beautiful, beautiful vinyl. They have been lovingly given the proper care and treatment they deserve, of course, and will be a limited edition. This essential piece of Seattle music lore will be pressed on colored vinyl with original, amazing artwork.

https://www.facebook.com/WesternStateHurricanes/

Just so you don't think every Monday is the same, today we are happy to announce the pre-order for our debut album on vinyl with the help of Latent Print Records. We cannot begin to tell you what these songs mean to us and how excited we are to share them with you.

Please take a look at the campaign and take note of of some of the great rewards being offered (including posters, t-shirts, and even a ticket to a reunion show in February of 2020) and if you'd be so kind, help spread the word.
--------------------
They hit their Indiegogo goal within 24 hours, so there's definitely lots of interest. I'm anxiously awaiting the details on the February date and venue (here's hoping for The Croc) and hope to make the trek out to Seattle, just like the old days.

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Re: Western State Hurricanes - LP + Reunion Show

Postby sour29 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:53 pm

Wow. I didn't realize that WSH had enough of a following to hit their goal in the first 24-hours. That's ... wow. Congrats to all involved. I'll be jumping on and pitching in before the campaign is over. Can't wait!

orochics

Postby orochics » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:04 pm

Interesting, the indigogo link doesn't mention a show (maybe they removed the info?) I'll definitely be going if it does happen tho!

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:46 am

Just in case you hadn't seen it elsewhere, the show has been announced and tickets are for sale:
https://www.ticketweb.com/event/western-state-hurricanes-w-guests-tractor-tickets/9940995?pl=tractor

Hurrah for TLW related activity. If only it wasn't quite that far...

orochics

Postby orochics » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:36 am

A second show has been added. See you there!

https://www.ticketweb.com/event/2nd-sho ... ts/9971815

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:02 pm

For those of you unable to attend one of the shows, WSH will be on KEXP on 2/6 at 1:00. The in-studio is also open to the public: https://www.kexp.org/events/kexp-events/2020/2/6/. I can't make the in-studio but I'll be at the Saturday show.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:52 am

Waiting anxiously for the details! :)

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:56 pm

I wasn't feeling very well so I don't remember all the details but here are a few random things. They played the whole album plus a few cover songs. Most of them have ended up on TLW albums so they weren't completely new to me. The older versions were definitely grungier than the versions TLW released. One of the cover songs was a Death Cab for Cutie song but I don't remember the title. They also played Cinnamon and John explained that Stephanie did the backing vocals for that song. John said that rest of the band had indicated on the setlist very specific times when he was allowed to tune and talk. He then noted that he had already violated that request. It seemed like the band was still very cohesive after all this time and were very relaxed and joking. They talked a little about how the band came together and how they bridged grunge and indie music (they were "grindie").

John explained that there would be a brief break before the encore and that we should all clap as if we didn't know that they were coming back out. Ben Gibbard joined them for the encore. He and John traded vocal for the first encore song, which I can't remember the title of (I was feeling a bit tired by the end of the show). They then brought Mike Squires out and they played Feels Like Teen Spirit. John joked that most bands would have ended the show there but they closed with Nora.

I saw someone recording the show so hopefully the video will show up somewhere. If I remember anything else I'll edit this message.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:27 pm

Would've loved to have been there. Thanks for the review. Here's to hoping that video sees the light of day.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:49 pm

There's a short clip of Feels Like Teen Spirit here: https://fuckyeahjohnroderick.tumblr.com/.

Cynical_Satan

Postby Cynical_Satan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:36 pm

Setlist! Same both nights, with one exception....

Unsalted Butter
Through with Love
Medicine Cabinet Pirate
Samaritan
Mimi
Seven Days of Wondering
Pictures in an Exhibition (Death Cab Cover)
Delicate Hands
Carparts
Copernicus

Encore:
Big Dipper (Built to Spill Cover)
Cinnamon
Smells Like Teen Spirit (Saturday show only)
Nora

I think they bantered about being a "grindle" band only on the Saturday show - which makes it all the more fitting that they played the Nirvana cover that night. Each show was fucking amazing. More thoughts to come later.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:03 pm

Couple of short clips from Three Imaginary Girls on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZyivPPbGps and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_no7pZOuU4.

Cynical_Satan

Postby Cynical_Satan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:47 am

So, before some more personal details, this guy on Twitter kinda summed up all the feels. It's a thread of like 5 tweets, but I'll just put them all here.

https://twitter.com/MikeTaffet/status/1 ... 12032?s=20

"Despite living on the East Coast, the Seattle music scene has been responsible for a lot of the music I listen to. Being born in the late 80s meant that I was exposed to both Grunge and Indie during my most formative years. Yet it was only ever a soundtrack. But this past weekend, thanks to
@johnroderick and friends, I got to experience something that feels once in a lifetime. I witnessed a band that hasn’t existed for over 20 years give everything they had to a packed room at two sold out shows. But it was more than that. In much the same way that the venue, Tractor Tavern, feels immune to the way that the Ballard area has evolved around it; @johnroderick proved that Seattle music is and will always be. Surrounded by denizens of Seattle and visitors alike, the #WesternStateHurricanes reminded us where Indie Rock was born, and why it took over. Joined both nights by Ben Gibbard from @dcfc, The shows were raw, powerful, joyous, and bittersweet. For John and the rest of the band, it was a celebration of what could have been. For me, it was a chance to be part of something that, until this weekend, I could only ever purchase at the record store. And for everyone there, it was a reminder that Seattle. Fucking. Rocks."

I still have chills thinking about the shows. Prior to playing Seven Days, John mentioned that the song was full of metaphors and therefore deemed too complicated. He referenced the 59 Live (or whatever the name of the show) performance that floats around on YouTube as the only time it was ever previously documented. Delicate Hands is not about a physical killing, but the killing of a relationship. I remember Medicine Cabinet being a bit more...forceful....for lack of better phrase. The covers were excellent. John joked that they had to fill the set list with covers since they only made 8 songs. Crowd banter was light, but as mentioned there were defined guitar change times that John engaged. Crowd was asked on Friday how many had been to an original WSH show, and a fair amount spoke up. I was probably on the younger side of average crowd age. Ben Gibbard bailed right through the crowd at the end of the Saturday show, with almost nobody putting up a fight. The guy I was next to at the time was just shocked that nobody tried to come up to him - they were all pivoting to John.

There's a YouTube of a TLW show at the Croc around 2011 I think of Nora where John goes reckless abandonment on the guitar at the end. That was Nora on the Saturday show, but to another level. Picture figurative smoke rising from his half destroyed guitar. To me, it's just chilling to think about that Nirvana and Nora back to back. For a moment it was like being back in time, and yet a little bittersweet since Nora was clearly made to cap any WSH setlist and I felt left with that feeling of 'what might have been'. Hell of an experience.

The more professional photos have come out - but I'm not sure if the whole sets were professionally recorded as well. Here's hoping. I did a small amount of recording on my phone - but didn't want to be one of those people who focuses on getting the right shot at the expense of not taking in the experience. (So I've got like 30 seconds of Smells Like Teen Spirit....)

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:17 pm

YouTube user nightdriver posted several videos from both nights.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:32 am

Enitre Saturday show has been making my week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzwrHedFRfs

Cynical_Satan

Postby Cynical_Satan » Fri May 01, 2020 6:10 pm

Excellent find! Yes - these were all the professional style cameras I saw. So glad this was documented. In this now strange world we live in, I am eternally grateful that the timing of this reunion was before everything went to hell.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sun May 31, 2020 3:49 am

Cynical_Satan wrote:So glad this was documented. In this now strange world we live in, I am eternally grateful that the timing of this reunion was before everything went to hell.

Username checks out.

Cynical_Satan

Postby Cynical_Satan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:30 pm

Wow. This is exceedingly rare, and just posted, but will make your day:

Western State Hurricanes Live at the Showbox April 1999
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEft3m1yJ9c

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West