Cap Hill Block Party

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Ryan

darius is a nice guy

Post by Ryan »

they played again last night at the comet tavern, with the catheters and someone else... perhaps boning up on the new chops with darius. i'd have gone, but my decision to photograph the blood brothers set from front and center resulted in several kicks to the back of the head and a pinched nerve in my lower back. so i spent the remainder of the evening rock and roll style alternating a heating pad and ice pack on the couch.

as for the disappearence of m. schorr, there are rumors abound. i heard one that he wanted to sing backup vocals, and john snapped - stuffing him into a 55-gallon drum and throwing it into elliot bay under cover of darkness (i mean, has anyone even heard what chris caniglia's up to recently? no. and we all HEARD his backup vocals.). i heard that a woman came between them and john said "it's either the long winters or muffy the cigarette girl," and michael split for a lifetime of free lucky strikes. oh, and then there's the one how michael put all of the LW beats on his laptop and announced he'd quit playing drums and was looking into playing only bollywood and bhangra.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

@ brutaful Haha. speaking of which, the first time I met Michael Schorr, I recognized him from his board avatar, but did not realize that he was in the band until they got on stage. I thought he was just one of us nutty board fans.
aj

Post by aj »

not necessarily on good authority, but one of my roommate's friends visited us and was talking music and (of course) the tLWs came up. he used to work with Michael and said that he was only temporarily with the band. he also said they didn't "work" together as much as they played video games on the clock. perhaps Michael has quit all things that do not involve video games.

they have a great combo now though. I hope he's still in the band.

is J-Ro really that hard to work with? perhaps his eye color is just too intimidating after awhile.
the new math

Post by the new math »

i was going to post this in a different thread but, after reading all this speculation, this seems the most appropriate place to set the record straight.

first off, i HAVE resigned from my position as the drummer for the long winters. i wish the current lineup all the success in the world.

after four years of touring with bands, i can safely say that this line of work isn't what i want to do anymore. the privelege of touring the world(!) and playing wonderful music has ceased to outweigh the things i have to give up in order to do it. (education, wife, family, etc...)

on a lighter note, i have NOT given up everything that doesn't involve video games, but my involvement with games in general has increased. (i'm working on two projects at the moment, including an internship at a video game company.)

thanks to all for putting up with me and putting me up!

michael schorr-
wonderbex

Post by wonderbex »

A Brutaful Smile wrote:
chelsea wrote:*michael schorr has been replaced by a guy named darius

are you not familiar w/darius? he's been in a bunch of bands, not to mention made famous in a song about him and mitzi by the nevada bachelors....which i can't help hearing in my head anytime i hear/see his name.

Darius ... Darius ... I must be totally lame because I am unfamiliar with Darius. hmmm.
WAIT.
Darius RUCKER?
Is HOOTIE the new drummer?
Oh, heavens to betsy. HOOTIE is now playing drums for The Long Winters.
Please excuse me, I have to go alert the authorities.

HOOTIE is in The Long Winters!
A Brutaful Smile

Re: darius is a nice guy

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

Ryan wrote:they played again last night at the comet tavern, with the catheters and someone else... perhaps boning up on the new chops with darius. i'd have gone, but my decision to photograph the blood brothers set from front and center resulted in several kicks to the back of the head and a pinched nerve in my lower back. so i spent the remainder of the evening rock and roll style alternating a heating pad and ice pack on the couch.

i witnessed a blood brothers show once and even from the back i could tell the crowd was insane. and from what i have heard EVERY show is that way. you are one brave man. especially being an old man at that. ;)
A Brutaful Smile

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

aj wrote:is J-Ro really that hard to work with? perhaps his eye color is just too intimidating after awhile.

i've heard he's a real bitch. starts some mean cat fights and plays dirty, pulls hair and everything.

i can't believe i have no idea what color his eyes are. you would think i would know.....
Ryan

old man

Post by Ryan »

A Brutaful Smile wrote: you are one brave man. especially being an old man at that. ;)

and it really pisses the kids off when i say things like "you think this is a mosh pit? this isn't a mosh pit... why, when i saw fugazi at the outhouse in lawrence, kansas back in '88, THAT was a mosh pit. you punks are little sissy babies - why don't you go back and pogo to your SPAG music." and then i keep chewing my gum and shooting photos.

ha. old man. damn right.
heather

Post by heather »

wonderbex wrote:
A Brutaful Smile wrote:
chelsea wrote:*michael schorr has been replaced by a guy named darius

are you not familiar w/darius? he's been in a bunch of bands, not to mention made famous in a song about him and mitzi by the nevada bachelors....which i can't help hearing in my head anytime i hear/see his name.

Darius ... Darius ... I must be totally lame because I am unfamiliar with Darius. hmmm.
WAIT.
Darius RUCKER?
Is HOOTIE the new drummer?
Oh, heavens to betsy. HOOTIE is now playing drums for The Long Winters.
Please excuse me, I have to go alert the authorities.

YES. I LOVE HOOTIE.

ps: dear ryan, i will be bringing the hardcore spag fest to you next time we see each other.
Squid

Re: old man

Post by Squid »

Ryan wrote:and it really pisses the kids off when i say things like "you think this is a mosh pit? this isn't a mosh pit... why, when i saw fugazi at the outhouse in lawrence, kansas back in '88, THAT was a mosh pit. .

fuckin' a, RIGHT. look out for us old folks up front. we've been billpayin' for a while, and we're _cranky_.

ps: ryan, a friend of mine directed me to your site a while back. (i'm in SF, so i wasn't familiar...) your photos rock.
grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Post by grant »

Darius was the King of Persia who threw Daniel to the lions, and when Daniel wasn't eaten, decided to worship Daniel's god, Yahweh.

I never knew he had a talent for percussion.
sabirah

Post by sabirah »

Unremarkable wrote:
chelsea wrote:i'll do my best...

*michael schorr has been replaced by a guy named darius

Wait...what? Permanently? Isn't he they guy who played with Harvey Danger at Sasquatch?

Yeah, Sean gave him 5 bucks, and I think he was in Preston School of Industry too.
Flyn

Post by Flyn »

I seem to recall the hootie Darius rhymed with "various", but this Darius is pronounced "duh-RYE-us". Last I checked, he was the drummer for the Posies, and I remember a few years ago, he briefly drummed in the reformed Super Deluxe.

He's a good drummer.
Fi

Post by Fi »

yeah. word has it that Preston School of Industry are bringing Darius to Australia. maybe JR & Eric can squash into toms cases, & they can all do a sneaky tour. that would be neat.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

So now we finally have confirmation that Michael is busy designing The Long Winters game (no doubt involving insider knowledge like you only get the key if you know the colour of John's eyes)...

After hearing how I have mispronounced his first name all this time, I hardly dare to try to spell Darius' last name, but I think it's Minwalla. Oh wait, I can check my vast amount of Seattle related records.... yep, there it is on a Jon Auer ep.
How many drummers are there in the greater Seattle area, just 5 or something?

And does this mean that there's more chance of a combined Posies/Long Winters tour? We can dream, can't we, although I would not know which band I would want to headline!
sean
consigliere

Post by sean »

it's pronounced "YHWH."

darius's nickname is Dollar Bill. Please make a note of it.
wonderbex

Post by wonderbex »

sean wrote:it's pronounced "YHWH."

darius's nickname is Dollar Bill. Please make a note of it.

Wait, pronounced "YHWH" as in Daniel's god, the god who didn't let the lions eat Daniel after Darius angrily threw him into a lions' den for not recognizing Darius's talent for percussion?

it's all getting so breathtakingly ... meta... aaaaaah.

and remember, it's spelled with an 'i'
dchris

Post by dchris »

sabirah wrote:Yeah, Sean gave him 5 bucks, and I think he was in Preston School of Industry too.

Reading that, it sounds as if Darius was paid $5 to play the Sasquatch gig.

As I remember, there was a bet as to whether Dollar Bill could get through a difficult song without travesty.
sabirah

Post by sabirah »

hahaha....yeah it does, you're right! I just meant because of the bet (was it 1 dollar instead of 5?) he caught my attention as being new to the band.
sabirah

Post by sabirah »

Where'd the name Dollar Bill come from?