Spotted on VH1

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

A Brutaful Smile

Spotted on VH1

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

This evening I was watching a show on VH1. It follows Leah Remini(from King of Queens) and her husband thru her pregnancy and birth of their daughter. During the show I recognized a song and thought to myself 'hhhmm, i know that song. who is it?' Think, think, think. Then came the realization outburst. "OH MY GOD! THAT'S THE LONG WINTERS!" No shit! It was a loop of the piano intro to Blue Diamonds. I almost died.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

one thing and one thing only comes to mind: SPaG!!!
Tater

VH1 Inside Out

Post by Tater »

I saw the same thing. I am now concerned that everytime I load WIPTF into the cd player and hear the beginning of "Blue Diamonds" my mind will be forced to think about home pregnancy tests.
A Brutaful Smile

nothing goes together better than the long winters and peeing on a stick!
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

indeed.
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

A Brutaful Smile wrote:nothing goes together better than the long winters and peeing on a stick!

That is quite a statement.
And I just saw Ed Helms on VH-1. It made me happy (he was talking about someone's eyebrows).
wonderbex

vh1 loves the long winters

Post by wonderbex »

it's true.

sometimes their tee-shirts make sporadic cameos as well.
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

well, I don't know how it is in the States, but over here that kinda airplay earns ya cash through composer and performer rights, and that would be well deserved for the boys.
gotta love people at stations who push cool music like this.
A Brutaful Smile

i wonder if that's that laguna beach teen real life drama show. but really, what on mtv doesn't match that discription? and isn't real life on tv an oxymoron or something? we have all found out how those shows try to minipulate everyone and it's not really as real as they like to make it sound.
Cynical_Satan
Current Heading: North

Post by Cynical_Satan »

The intro plays on loop for a solid 2-3 min. I had no idea what the show was about except that at the end of the segment, and hence the end of the loop, the guy lost his girlfriend and the girl he was fooling around with. I saw no reason to continue watching...
wonderbex

Post by wonderbex »

Liesbeth wrote:well, I don't know how it is in the States, but over here that kinda airplay earns ya cash through composer and performer rights, and that would be well deserved for the boys.

i can't speak for all channels, but amongst the viacommunity, we get an 'approved list' of tracks that the labels will let us use, gratis. barsuk kicks out a few jams every so often -- last i checked, the Ldubs' 'blue diamonds' was still there, and nada surf's 'inside of love' is still there. the postal service has SGH and The District Sleeps Alone but once a song has been out there and (over)used in the music-bed multiverse, we move on. usually, labels like to promote their, ahem, hit singles, and so we gets 'em free of charge. i think the philosophy is that viacommunists get to use thirty seconds of the bands they like for free, and anyone watching goes, 'dang, what's that killer track, i simply must go to itunes and download it right now and then go to a concert and buy a a teeshirt.'
Yarn

Post by Yarn »

I heard that intro to Blue Diamonds on MTV as well. As happy as it made me, it really didn't come as a shocker. If you watch shows on that channel (and you really shouldn't), you'll notice pieces of a lot of good songs played here and there. I figure, the people that actually run MTV know good music, they just play crap all day because it sells. Oh well.
anthropomorphizing_kitty

Post by anthropomorphizing_kitty »

wonderbex wrote:
Liesbeth wrote:well, I don't know how it is in the States, but over here that kinda airplay earns ya cash through composer and performer rights, and that would be well deserved for the boys.

i can't speak for all channels, but amongst the viacommunity, we get an 'approved list' of tracks that the labels will let us use, gratis. barsuk kicks out a few jams every so often -- last i checked, the Ldubs' 'blue diamonds' was still there, and nada surf's 'inside of love' is still there. the postal service has SGH and The District Sleeps Alone but once a song has been out there and (over)used in the music-bed multiverse, we move on. usually, labels like to promote their, ahem, hit singles, and so we gets 'em free of charge. i think the philosophy is that viacommunists get to use thirty seconds of the bands they like for free, and anyone watching goes, 'dang, what's that killer track, i simply must go to itunes and download it right now and then go to a concert and buy a a teeshirt.'

Bex, I don't know exactly what you do, but if it involves putting music in commercials then you have one of the coolest jobs of all time. Here's a question, if you hear a song you really like in a commercial and don't see the name of the band on display anywhere, is there typically any way to find out who it was?
wonderbex

commercial songs

Post by wonderbex »

Bex, I don't know exactly what you do, but if it involves putting music in commercials then you have one of the coolest jobs of all time. Here's a question, if you hear a song you really like in a commercial and don't see the name of the band on display anywhere, is there typically any way to find out who it was?

there's this website: http://www.songtitle.info/
and this one: http://www.whatsthatcalled.com/

often googling the product and the words 'commercial' and 'song'
(or, for a network, 'promo' or 'spot' and 'song') works.
A Brutaful Smile

cool! thanks for sharing that cuz i was able to find a song i have wondered about recently.
Yarn

Post by Yarn »

What song?
A Brutaful Smile

the kinks song in the hp commercials.

starts singing

Picture book, pictures of your mama, taken by your papa a long time ago.
Picture book, of people with each other, to prove they loved each other a long time ago.

/singing

i love that song!
unfortunately it's not on my "hits" cd that i own. :(
Yarn

Post by Yarn »

I can't help but love The Kinks.
wonderbex

picture book

Post by wonderbex »

... and let us not forget the fine, fine version of "Picture Book" as recorded by the fine, fine, fine Young Fresh Fellows, featuring Scott McCaughey who rocked the box 'monica on the L-dubs' "Blanket Hog."

who was in a movie with Kevin Bacon.

teasing.

how 'bout that debate?