You guys, you guys, you GUYS!!!

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

nwheather

You guys, you guys, you GUYS!!!

Post by nwheather »

I am currently listening to my VERY OWN (1st) LEGITIMATE LW album!!! =)

Yup, I got WIPTF (along with a bunch of other cool shit) at Wuxtry Records in Athens, GA! Double =)!

If you guys are at all interested in a short review from a first-time listener, I'll do it, but I don't want to presume...

I'm just so goddam thrilled! Seriously! And the best part: I made my friend listen to it on the way back--no, not all 1,000 miles--and she LOVES IT!!! So there may very well be 2 Okies at the next LW show that comes anywhere near here! SCORE!!!
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

triple Yay!

Post by Liesbeth »

congrats and ENJOY!
and it's never too late for a review
nwheather

Post by nwheather »

Well, one person said yes and no one's said 'Aaaaack, NO!' So, here goes my pseudo-review, overall and then song-by-song:

All the rockin' stuff was immediately loved; the slower stuff had to grow on me a bit, but I do love it now. (No offense, Mr. Roderick, but your voice just...shines more when you rock. JMO.)

The one thought I've had most often whilst listening to this album--and the songs I've heard from the other one--is 'Geez, this guy has been seriously fucked over by some chicks!' ('Neato!' was a close second.)

It's nice to see that intelligence and coolness haven't completely lost touch with each other in the music world. I was really starting to worry...

Blue Diamonds - What else is left to say? It's ultra-cool, apathetic-sounding, the perfect 'indie-rock' hit!

Scared Straight - see here.

Shapes - Ending our 3-song string of 'Songs to Drive Pizza To', can't sit still to this one either.

Cinnamon - The first song on the record that had to grow on me, despite Peter Buck's mandolin. The repeating bit bugged me a bit, but the verses are so lovely, and then the rest fell into place.

Bride and Bridle - Kind of a S&G feel to it, took a bit longer to grow on me. Guess I was just in the mood to rock.

Blanket Hog - God, I was so pissed off at this song the first time I played it! I'd just sat through a couple of slow ones, and the beginning of this one made me think, 'Yay, we're gonna rock now!' And then...I grew to love it once I got over the initial disappointment.

It'll Be A Breeze - Probably my least favorite on the record, but still pretty cool.

Stupid - The other one I'd alredy heard a million times. Still good.

Prom Night At Hater High - LOL! Even though our proms were probably 5-10 years apart, Mr. R cracks me up with this one...another can't-sit-still, too.

New Girl - Yay! More rock!!

Sound of Coming Down - Even more rock, and rock that uses the word 'dubious', no less! Yay again!

Nora - I hope I never hear this one live; I heard people who cry at rock shows are forever branded 'dorks'.

Had to cut it short to go into work early...I know you're all soooooo disappointed...
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

nwheather wrote:It'll Be A Breeze - Probably my least favorite on the record, but still pretty cool.

I'd say this one may grow on you, give it a chance and you'll be crying some more.

Cool that you gave a review, it's nice to hear from someone who still has the amazement of discovering the album.
Ah, I guess I need a new one - when you get to know two albums in the space of three months, any wait for a third album is just tantalizingly long.
dchris

Post by dchris »

nwheather wrote:Nora - I hope I never hear this one live; I heard people who cry at rock shows are forever branded 'dorks'.

That would be a terrible mistake. And another of several dozen reasons that I am a huge dork.

Besides, Nora live will not make you cry. It will leave you shocked and amazed and speechless perhaps, but not sad.
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

nwheather wrote:Nora - I hope I never hear this one live; I heard people who cry at rock shows are forever branded 'dorks'.

Nora live probably rocks harder than any Long Winters song, with the possible exception of New Girl...and fast Mimi
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

Unremarkable wrote:Nora live probably rocks harder than any Long Winters song, with the possible exception of New Girl...and fast Mimi

agreed, but I will add Blanket Hog to the mix
nwheather

Post by nwheather »

Interesting...frankly, I just hope to see another LW show before I die at this point...

Last night I was listening again and driving pizza, and it occurred to me that I should be posting the random thoughts I have whilst I listen rather than the crap I posted above (esp. the last bit, I was in a hurry). So, smatterings of randomness shall probably trickle into this thread here and there from now on, but I can't remember any of them now (nor any time I'm on here, as a general rule)...

It feels kinda weird, though, posting comments about someone's work on a site you know they read...
Yarn

Post by Yarn »

God, Nora live is incredibly intense . . . that solo is not only fun to hear, but very fun to watch. Mr. Roderick certainly throws more than shapes.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

nwheather wrote:It'll Be A Breeze - Probably my least favorite on the record, but still pretty cool.

it took several requests (by Nature Boy) of this song at shows before i really sat down, listened, and truly appreciated it. now i request it at shows :-)
LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by LoveSickJerk »

One of my friends mentioned that he didn't give much credit to this song until he and his long time girlfriend broke up, and they were in that awkward still living together phase. One day, after an especially grueling day at work he was driving in his car and It'll Be A Breeze came on, and the song clicked in his head. The rest of the story goes, that it hit him pretty hard, so much he had to pull over. This story, made me happy, having loved the song from the start.