Gmail group?

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

chadham

Gmail group?

Postby chadham » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:19 am

This is my first post on the list...
Chad here in Austin, TX...JRod has played my yard party the last couple of years during SXSW...hoping to get the full band next year if they all make it...

Anyhoo, I got an invitation to a gmail group for the Long Winters yesterday...is that similar to a yahoogroups or just some spam?

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:34 am

It is indeed a feature similar to Yahoo groups. It is simply set up by google. Here's a link for anyone else interested: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/TheLongWinters?lnk=srg The group is labeled as "announcement only", so that's pretty cool.

I don't know if this is official or what have you, but 434 people can't be wrong on the internet could they?

chadham

RE: Gmail Group

Postby chadham » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:40 am

Aha...so it is announcement only...I guess so JRod can make announcements outside of this forum...

It doesn't appear to be a discussion forum...

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:25 am

Are you sure it's not the ANTI-ROD???

The great, infernal King HE-ROD who misleads the faithful during the perilous Last Days?

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:09 am

I don't think this guy has much to do with Google groups. Much less the Common Era.

Squid

Postby Squid » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:47 am

So, who else just got the invite? (I got it as well.) And who's the moderator? And how did they get my email? And who are "they"? And what do "they" want?

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:54 am

and what am I missing if I don't have a Google account?
have any mighty important announcements been made?

just inquiring, y'know, since the most up-to-date TLW info seems to pop up in the strangest places...

Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Re: Gmail group?

Postby Merlin » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:25 pm

chadham wrote: I got an invitation to a gmail group for the Long Winters yesterday...is that similar to a yahoogroups or just some spam?

Nope, that's no spam.

John's just moving the mailing list from Notifylist to that Google group. Anyone on the former got invited to the latter.

It's not a forum--just an announcement-only list.

Hope this helps.

Forrest

Postby Forrest » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:21 pm

heather

Postby heather » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:18 am

ha. i denied that shit because i thought it was some sort of spam.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:44 am

okay, so I have to google or be begoogled, they better still have megalies available, or... oh hang on, you don't have to actually have a google-account. good!

It wasn't very clear that this was a transfer of the mailing list, so I figure quite a few people will do a heather and are lost. Oh well, it's not like it has been used at all for the past two years...

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:10 pm

ooooooh....glad i read about this. when i got that email i was slightly confused. i wondered why i was being asked to join another long winters group. granted you can join as many groups as you want for one band but it just seems obsessive in my opinion. i figured as long as i hung around here that was really all the grouping i needed. luckily i ended up on this mailing list anyway. seems whoever is in charge knows me and knows i would want these emails.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:22 am

if you haven't received an invitation, but want to join this group anyway, I think I've figured out the way to do it.

To join the mailing list directly, you can use the Join this group link on the main The Long Winters Google Group page. You will be asked to create a Google account, but you can use any e-mail address - you don't need a Gmail address. If you want to receive the messages by e-mail, make sure to check one of the e-mail options, since the web-based option seems standard.

Oh, and I don't know for sure if the link is actually called Join this group, because Google detects language, so it says something in Dutch in my case. For the language nerds, in fact it says 'Deelnemen aan deze groep'.

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:24 am

Liesbeth wrote:if you haven't received an invitation, but want to join this group anyway, I think I've figured out the way to do it.

Oh, and I don't know for sure if the link is actually called Join this group, because Google detects language, so it says something in Dutch in my case. For the language nerds, in fact it says 'Deelnemen aan deze groep'.

It does say "Join This Group" in English. I joined without an invite, and if you have a gmail account you already have a google account.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”