Long Winters/Western State Hurricanes mp3 files

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

esatnik

Long Winters/Western State Hurricanes mp3 files

Post by esatnik »

Chapter One: The Going Up

For those of you who never experienced John’s old band, Western State Hurricanes, here is a brief history:

I saw the Western State Hurricanes for the first time in November 1998. WSH was opening for the band Death Cab For Cutie at a small club in Capitol Hill that smelled like urine. Despite the dank setting, I was taken away by the band's beautiful harmonies and the intricate progressive rock chord changes. Here is a list of songs played at that show (mp3s no longer available):

Through With Love| Copernicus | Samaritan | Unsalted Butter | Seven Days | Mimi | Carparts | Nora

In their hometown of Seattle, WSH were starting to create a buzz. Their five-song demo tape, produced by Phil Ek [Les Savy Fav, Built To Spill, etc.] during July 1998, began to generate anticipation for a full length record. One song from it, Unsalted Butter, was even aired on the radio station KNDD 107.7fm “The End”. Here are the songs from that demo (mp3s no longer available)

Through With Love | Copernicus | Unsalted Butter | Samaritan | Mimi

To be continued.....
Last edited by esatnik on Thu May 29, 2003 8:28 am, edited 6 times in total.
Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Post by Merlin »

Thanks for posting the WSH cassette songs! I've really been wanting to hear that.
royal

Post by royal »

Hissing be damned, this is great! Thanks!
NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Post by NatureBoy »

Agreed...thanks so much for the links...

Be sure to add more when they're available!
esatnik

Post by esatnik »

Chapter Two: The Coming Down

I saw the Western State Hurricanes for the last time in April 1999. It was their final show ever at the Showbox in Seattle. The house was packed and the band played a set featuring eleven songs, all the weapons in their arsenal. One of the many highlights was the performance of the title track to the best album that never was, Delicate Hands. The show ended dramatically when John Roderick swung his guitar and threw it in disgust. With that, the Western State Hurricanes were dead. Here is a list of songs played at that show (mp3s no longer available)

Mimi | Carparts | Unsalted Butter | Medicine Cabinet Pirate | Dream On My Own Time | Copernicus | Seven Days | Through With Love | Delicate Hands | Nora

To be continued...
Last edited by esatnik on Thu May 29, 2003 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

best. story. ever.

(Even if I already knew it)
esatnik

Post by esatnik »

Chapter 3: The Rebirth

With everything razed, it was time to begin anew. John Roderick got together with jock rock keyboard player Sean Nelson to form The Long Winters. In February 2002 they released their first album “The Worst You Can Do Is Harm”. In April 2002, I got a chance to see The Long Winters play at the Graceland in Seattle. The highlight of the show was a live performance of my personal favorite Long Winters song, Give Me A Moment. The low point of the show was the bands inability to play my personal favorite Western State Hurricanes song, Through With Love. Here is a recorded version of that show:

Unsalted Butter|Stupid|Coming Down|Give Me A Moment|Shapes|Through With..., psyche!|Carparts|Medicine Cabinet Pirate|Mimi
Last edited by esatnik on Fri May 30, 2003 11:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Post by Merlin »

That "Through with Love" is truly classic. Can't stop listening to it.

Sounds like Team Dresch covering Gordon Lightfoot covering Bowie.

Nothing wrong with that.
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

Since the PCs as well as the MACs on campus fail me... is there a chance someone could uhh... somehow... *mumbles something about CD-R and paying for shipment and efforts..........*
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

After I download a song, when I try to download another, I get:
"Service Temporarily Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later. "
This has happened to me every time, and only allows me to download like 1 song a day. :(
anthropomorphizing_kitty

Post by anthropomorphizing_kitty »

well figure that this post has been viewed almost 300 times which means a lot of people are probably clickety clicking on them there links on top of all the other people who go to that site. their servers are probably just slammed. i've been thinking it would be really cool if someone made a LW fan site and posted the songs on there...any volunteers? :-)
Shawn

Everett True

Post by Shawn »

The Western State Hurricanes were famously and arbitrarily reviled by Everett True in the pages of The Stranger to an absured degree.

Question:
Has True ever commented on the Long Winters?
Has he revised his opinion of John's music?

Daddy, why are there bad people in the world?
Cynical_Satan

Post by Cynical_Satan »

I too got that funny error message after trying to download a second song, and this was at 2:30 in the morning -- not exactly peak downloading time. Maybe they have some sort of firewall protection to drastically limit downloads??
esatnik

Post by esatnik »

I will be moving the Long Winters mp3s to a different server, but not the WSH stuff. I suggest you get whatever you can, even if it requires rebooting after each song.

If anyone has a server (with alot of bandwidth) and would like to host mp3s, please say so.
Unremarkable

Post by Unremarkable »

After I download 1 song, It won't even let me visit visit www.knerd.com
esatnik

Post by esatnik »

Just out of curiosity, has anybody been successful downloading those WSH files? And, if so, how long did it take? I didn't realize how unpowerful the knerd server had become. I haven't used it in quite some time.
royal

Post by royal »

I didn't have that much trouble downloading the files. I found that if you fairly quick about it, you can download 4 songs at the same time (depending on your browser settings). Then the system would probably prevent any further downloads. Wait an hour, and then repeat the process. A little diligence and you've got the files...
Unremarkable

Post by Unremarkable »

I heard that the WSH demo might be remastered and released properly sometime in the future...
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

You shush, you.

Provoker.
NatureBoy

Post by NatureBoy »

The show from the showbox, on 4-17-99 (the aformentioned 'death of the WSH show)...I have every track except 8, 9, and 10...does anyone have these?

I'd really appreciate a head's up on where I can get these...thanks!