UK Shows?

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

drsupernatural

UK Shows?

Post by drsupernatural »

hey everyone,

I looked around but couldnt really find any info. Just wondering if The Long Winters have ever played UK shows or are going to in the near future?

I found "When I Pretend to Fall" recently and its a really great record.

Cheers
Ronnie
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

last and only band gig in London was in November 2003, and in August 2003 there were two duo shows (the place to find this info is the Performing Arts wing in the Long Winters Library & Archive).

if i remember correctly there were meant to be more UK gigs in December of that year, but the venues offered such pitiful fees that it fell through - John may well have something about it on this board actually. Ha, it made more sense to do 9 gigs in the Netherlands instead (and who was I to complain about that).
stevemc

Post by stevemc »

..i was lucky enough to be at the Spitz show back in Nov03 when the LWs opened for Centro-Matic.. value for money and then some as I recall...
benmarwood

Post by benmarwood »

yeah, it was really really good, as i recall. maybe Keane should bring them over here or something.

not that i'd go and see Keane.. but.. y'know..
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

Something's in the works for April in the UK, although KEANE will probably still be relaxing on their private Greek Island and not available for comment. In contrast, I'll most likely be waiting my turn to perform at Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park.
lagomorph

Post by lagomorph »

John wrote:...although KEANE will probably still be relaxing on their private Greek Island...

At my family's redoubt, no doubt.
KarissaEB

Post by KarissaEB »

John wrote:Something's in the works for April in the UK, although KEANE will probably still be relaxing on their private Greek Island and not available for comment. In contrast, I'll most likely be waiting my turn to perform at Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park.

LOL!

I'll have to let my friends over there know you're coming!
pas de nom
Location: Seattle... at the moment, in the middle of France (Montluçon)

Post by pas de nom »

John wrote:I'll most likely be waiting my turn to perform at Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park.
(I thought I would join in on quoting John)

I would thoroughly enjoy seeing John at Speaker's Corner. The last time I was there I wasn't as impressed as I had expected to be, but I know John would put together a dandy speech/performance.
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

Today a birdie told me something good might happen in May (not necessarily in or only in the UK). Yes.
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

And today... there was a Toutpartout newsletter in the Inbox. Tout-Who? Toutpartout, the European booking agent for TLW. Mentioning a May European tour, together with Centro-matic! No dates yet, but just the thought of those two together makes me melt.

Who the hell are Centro-matic? The kinda band that streams their whole soon-to-be-released album, just so you can see what you think before you buy it.
Melt, I tell ya!
benmarwood

Post by benmarwood »

oh man, LW played with Centro at the Spitz..

maybe i should raid my savings and get them to both come play in my house.
sour29

Post by sour29 »

I almost hate to say it, but I'm damn glad that a tour doesn't look to be happening until May. No one ever comes and plays Ottawa, and for 10 more weeks, I'm stuck here getting my BA. I'm already paying some $70 CAN to travel to Montreal in order to catch Nada Surf for the second time on the Weight Is A Gift tour. $70 I can't afford, at that!

But I expect that the John and Co will be hitting at least Toronto in their travels. And I shall be done school by then and (in theory) have more disposible income. Woot!
Moni

Post by Moni »

That said:

CENTRO-MATIC
support: John Roderick of The Long Winters

23.05.2006 GER - Darmstadt, Oetinger Villa

(www.puschen.net)
beitilyng

Post by beitilyng »

From http://www.barsuk.com/bands/thelongwinters/shows

09 May 2006
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM
[ Borderline ]
with Centro-Matic, The Gourds

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13 May 2006
EXETER, UNITED KINGDOM
[ Cavern Club ]
with Centro-Matic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14 May 2006
NEWPORT, UNITED KINGDOM
[ Meze Lounge ]
with Centro-Matic

16 May 2006
BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
[ Ab Box ]
with Centro-Matic

18 May 2006
ROTTERDAM, NETHERLANDS
[ Rotown ]
with Centro-Matic

20 May 2006
HEYTHUYSEN, NETHERLANDS
[ Tom Tom ]
with Centro-Matic

21 May 2006
UTRECHT, NETHERLANDS
[ Tivoli ]
with Centro-Matic

22 May 2006
ZICHEM, BELGIUM
[ Den Hemel ]
with Centro-Matic

23 May 2006
ZICHEM, BELGIUM
[ Oetinger Villa ]
with Centro-Matic

04 Jun 2006
BARCELONA, SPAIN
[ Primavera Sound ]
with Centro-Matic
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

MELT, I TELL YA!!!

They've asked me to work full-time at my temp job for the next few weeks. Money I could spend on rising heating bills, the new expensive compulsary Dutch health insurance, my husbands driving lessons or... travel. Tough choice.

For the record, the 23rd should be Darmstadt in Germany like Moni posted earlier, Zichem is definitely not big enough to play two nights in a row.
CarstenWohlfeld

Post by CarstenWohlfeld »

there might be also a couple more shows in germany to be added later. one almost happened, but the club was booked on the night that they wanted to play. which is sad because it's 10 mins walking from my doorstep...
sour29

Post by sour29 »

Updating Wikipedia site -- are these shows The Long Winters, or John Roderick, of The Long Winters?
CarstenWohlfeld

Post by CarstenWohlfeld »

the latter, John solo.
sour29

Post by sour29 »

Thanks, I thought so. The Wiki was updated to reflect as such.
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

addition to the schedule above (and in keeping with the original topic):
15 May, London, The Water Rats

the Toutpartout site (booking agency at http://www.toutpartout.be) mentions more concerts to be confirmed.