sxsw 2006

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

chadham

Post by chadham »

Saturday, March 18th

Barsuk/Arts&Crafts Records Day Party - Pokejo’s – 1pm to 6pm (1603 W 5th St)

Jim Noir – 1pm

Rocky Votolato – 1:40pm

The Most Serene Republic – 2:20pm

Aqueduct – 3pm

Andrew Kenny – 3:40 pm

John Vanderslice – 4:20pm

Jason Collett – 5pm

The Long Winters – 5:30 pm
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

chadham wrote:The Long Winters are not playing the Barsuk showcase at the Parish.

just curious where you got this info from, since both the SXSW website and the Barsuk website list TLW as playing at the Parish showcase.

That Pok-e-Joes line-up looks good. My consolation is that I get to see JV with DCFC tomorrow night, only a half hour train ride away. No bbq though, nor did I have time to bake the Vaderslice anything...
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

well, John seems to think he will be playing at the Parish, so I guess he will. Maybe you are confusing upstairs and downstairs? Squid, you must just run from upstairs to downstairs and catch some Mints before your Winters (or was it the other way round).

Also I'm told there will be a Barsuk instore at End of an Ear at 2209 S 1st, on Friday 17 from 4 pm, with Rocky V, JV and TLW scheduled for 5 pm.
And a performance at KDHX/Twangfest party at Jovitas (1617 S. First St) on Sat at 3pm. Someone find out whether that means webcast, please!
Squid

Post by Squid »

This is making me feel even stupider than I did reading dchris' "descriptivist" post.

I'm going to re-read this thread again very, very slowly. I will take notes. If I am still confused, I'm coming back with questions, and you know what that means: a lot of whining. You have been warned.

And weren't there three shows mentioned? I feel like I've only counted two. Gawd.
dchris

Post by dchris »

Squid wrote:This is making me feel even stupider than I did reading dchris' "descriptivist" post.

dammit. I was afraid of that. Did you RTFA I was responding to? That's the only way I would have made sense, it seems.
chadham

Post by chadham »

Perhaps LW are now playing the Barsuk showcase...I had initially heard not...but what the heck do I know...

I also found this for Sat...

Twangfest, KDHX-FM and Undertow Records party with
Kelly Hogan (5pm), Steve Dawson (4pm), The Long Winters (3pm), The Drams (2pm), Two Cow Garage (1pm), Love Experts (noon) at Jovita's (inside stage, 1619 south First St., noon-6pm)
Walter Clevenger and the Dairy Kings (4:30pm), Amazing Pilots (3:30pm), Magnolia Summer (2:30pm), Waterloo (1:30pm) at Jovita's (outside stage, 1619 south First St., noon-6pm)
Squid

Post by Squid »

Liesbeth wrote:Squid, you must just run from upstairs to downstairs and catch some Mints before your Winters (or was it the other way round).

Yes, it's Mints before Winters. But not in my heart. Hilarious!

Happily, there's nothing on Thursday night to compete with my Barsuk affections. At least not yet. (Although, Holy My God, the Alarm are playing?) So with the exception of running over to check on my friends Film School*, I'm probably just going to sit tight at the Parish, lost in its myriad stage configurations.

*who will need some loving, seeing as their entire van full of gear was stolen from their motel in Philly this morning. Ugh.

(ps: dchris, i'll respond back in the original thread in a bit. giggles!)
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

Squid wrote:I'm going to re-read this thread again very, very slowly. I will take notes. If I am still confused, I'm coming back with questions, and you know what that means: a lot of whining. You have been warned.

Well, there is now a list of all this in the Library, under Performing Arts. Enter the Long Winters Library here.
It included links to various websites with more information.

I can't seem to find evidence that KDHX actually broadcasts, which would make sense since they are a St. Louis station.

I heard that all current Long Winters members are going to be at SXSW. If this means the return of Otter Rock, I will become officially jealous of anyone who gets to see them. Darn, I loved the rocking trio line-up in 2004.
middswing

Post by middswing »

My Austin mother loves the Long Winters, so can I have very quick summary of what the sxsw shows *actually* are? This thread confused me. I'm not sending my awesome mom to the wrong free party. == Alex
Squid

Post by Squid »

Alex darlin', I sent you private email with the rundown.

For anyone who needs it, I've now been sent two docs that list all the day parties - both of them clocking in at an alarming 18 pages. It's making my head hurt. PM me if ya need them...
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

I'm not entirely sure what's confusing about a link to the Library where there's a full rundown of the Long Winters shows at SXSW in the Performing Arts section, but for those of you who are still confused:

The Long Winters at SXSW 2006:
Thu Mar 16, 4pm (1-7pm); Austin, TX - 10th Annual SXEast; all ages; with Rocky Votolato, The Pink Mountaintops, The Lemurs et al

Thu Mar 16, 10.30pm (8.30pm-2am); Austin, TX - The Parish II; SXSW Barsuk/Saddle Creek showcase, with Aqueduct, Rocky Votolato, Smoosh, Detachment Kit (more bands in The Parish 1)

Fri Mar 17, 5pm (4-5.30pm); Austin, TX - End of an Ear (2209 S 1st); Barsuk in-store with Rocky Votolato, John Vanderslice

Sat Mar 18, 3pm (12-6pm); Austin, TX - Jovitas; Twangfest/KDHX/Undertow party, with Love Experts, Two Cow Garage, The Drams, Steve Dawson, Kelly Hogan

Sat Mar 18, 5.30pm (1-6pm); Austin, TX - Pok-e-Joes on 5th; Barsuk/Arts & Crafts day party, all ages; with John Vanderslice, Aqueduct, Rocky Votolato, Jason Collett, Andrew Kenny +

For this list WITH links to relevant websites: direct link to the Performing Arts section of the Long Winters Library

Disclaimer: this is what I last heard it was gonna be. Hope your mum has fun, Alex. If she goes, can you get her to post a short review, maybe? As for the rest of you crazy bastards: long reviews, if you have a moment to spare, that is.
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

Also, for those unable to attend, I believe I will be appearing on the KEXP broadcast from Austin on Thurs at 6PM. They needed at least one person from Seattle who could speak both "west coast" and "east coast", and I'm somewhat of a cunning linguist.
sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by sour29 »

Damn. I have my evening class then. Hopefully they'll archive it, or someone will rip it and share it!
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

hurrah for KEXP's two weeks of streaming archive.
Karousme

Post by Karousme »

Just got an email from KEXP's Cheryl Waters... she says John is in the studio this instant. Tune in now!!
NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Post by NatureBoy »

Karousme wrote:Just got an email from KEXP's Cheryl Waters... she says John is in the studio this instant. Tune in now!!

Yea [buffering] h! This is [buffering] great I'm [buffering] so glad I can listen at [buffering] work!
sour29

Post by sour29 »

Haha. Great post! I'll try to capture a lossless stream when it's archived and will throw it up on Dime if all goes well.
Karousme

Post by Karousme »

He's playing new songs, BTW. Sorry Adam! Just run out to your car!
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

as i'm sure i've said before, god bless the streaming archive. i just listened. i already knew i loved "pushover" (even better without "the sucky parts"!) but "honest" and "hindsight" were very lovely as well. how long until the end of july?
sour29

Post by sour29 »

When I try to listen, it says not available.

Which sucks, because I'm trying to rip it to FLAC and MP3 to share with everybody.