damn you portland oregon

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:09 am

zach wrote:
chelsea wrote:
zach wrote:You'll be on Orcas Island? Details? Tomorrow I'm headed up there for the summer!

for the summer?!? i'm entirely jealous! how will you be spending your days? my family and i go camping up there every summer at moran state park, though we used to stay at beach haven. i've been to orcas island every summer of my life except for one or two and it is without a doubt my most favorite place in the world. three nights once a year is not enough, but it is definitely better than nothing. i'll stop now because this is "give me a moment."

I'm a director at YMCA Camp Orkila on Orcas island. And, yes, it's the most beautiful place in the entire world.

lucky, lucky you. funny how i've never been to camp orkila even though i was involved with the YMCA as a kid. anyway, did you see this?

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:20 am

Unremarkable wrote:From the High Road Touring website:

Sat Jul 22 '06 (9:30 PM)
Neumos Crystal Ball Reading Room
Seattle, WA

awesome.

i totally can't go.

icapants

Postby icapants » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:30 pm

(copy-paste from KEXP JITM list thingy)

JUST confirmed the bill for July 1st at Highdive. Holy Crap its a great bill AND all four
of us Audioasis hosts will be there AND its a holiday weekend. Sean is bringing fireworks,
Abe is dressing up like Uncle Sam, Lisa is going to throw those cap things at everyone (I
loved those) and I think Cheryl will be there dressed as lady liberty. God Bless America.

Awesome
Love Battery
Memphis Radio Kings
The Valley
Long Winters (just confirmed!)

This WILL sell out, get your tickets before that happens. I wan't to see you down there.

Chelsea?

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:58 pm

icapants wrote:(copy-paste from KEXP JITM list thingy)

JUST confirmed the bill for July 1st at Highdive. Holy Crap its a great bill AND all four
of us Audioasis hosts will be there AND its a holiday weekend. Sean is bringing fireworks,
Abe is dressing up like Uncle Sam, Lisa is going to throw those cap things at everyone (I
loved those) and I think Cheryl will be there dressed as lady liberty. God Bless America.

Awesome
Love Battery
Memphis Radio Kings
The Valley
Long Winters (just confirmed!)

This WILL sell out, get your tickets before that happens. I wan't to see you down there.

Chelsea?

i'll be there wil bells on. where can i buy a ticket?!?

thepeter

Postby thepeter » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:03 pm

i now think a more appropriate title to this thread would be something more like Damn You Seattle Washington

junker347

Postby junker347 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:39 pm

how about damn you Washington in general?

thepeter

Postby thepeter » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:40 pm

Damn You Portland And Vancouver/Victoria And Everything In Between

icapants

Postby icapants » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:46 pm

thepeter wrote:Damn You Portland And Vancouver/Victoria And Everything In Between

Maybe also known as "Damn you Pacific Northwest"

GMM

Postby GMM » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:07 am

Or in my case, Damn You America!

sabirah

Postby sabirah » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:32 pm

Well I have to say though, I'm glad they had a show in Portland because since I don't live in Seattle anymore (and miss it terrible....can't wait to move back!) I was at least able to go to the show here and get the album before Tuesday! The show was awesome by the way and the new songs are great. So if you aren't at the Seattle show right now and live there, what are you doing on the board, get your shoes on and get going! Although I did fear for my toes as the guy next to me was dancing drunkily without being aware of my presence right next to him. Throughout the show I kept wishing I hadn't worn my flip flops.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:12 am

Set list for the show in Seattle at Neumos last night (for Liesbeth, and anyone else who is interested):

Fire Island
Pushover
Teaspoon
Hindsight
Cinnamon
Scared Straight
Ultimatum (EP version)
Honest
New Girl
Rich Wife
Delicate Hands
Blue Diamonds
Give Me a Moment
Carparts
Scent of Lime
Shapes
It's a Departure
The Commander Thinks Aloud

Now that's what I call a fucking setlist. It was a killer show, well worth the wait of the past 7+ months since I had seen them last. The new fellow on keys and backing guitar/vox (John something, didn't catch his last name) did really great. J-Rod dedicated Give Me a Moment to me and pointed me out in the audience, because he remembered it was my favorite LW song. Perhaps my favorite LW related moment, thank you John.

icapants

Postby icapants » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:22 am

It was a great show. Definitely worth only getting four hours of sleep for work today. The only thing missing for me was Seven. It's on of the songs that has really been sticking out for me and I was hoping to hear it. Maybe I'll get it at the instores?

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:57 am

Wow. That is a freakin' setlist. Although I'm still not sold on Rich Wife and It's A Departure, the setlist as a whole looks very rockin'. Glad to see that Delicate Hands is getting more than the usual b-side treatment (ie. ignored).

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:11 am

Unremarkable wrote: J-Rod dedicated Give Me a Moment to me and pointed me out in the audience, because he remembered it was my favorite LW song. Perhaps my favorite LW related moment, thank you John.

They soundchecked 'Nora' and thought for sure that's what he would dedicate to you...

Awesome moment, Chris!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:23 pm

AH HA! It pleases me greatly to hear that I might just, maybe, possibly hear Nora live again. Damn, that's hot.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:15 pm

sour29 wrote:Wow. That is a freakin' setlist. Although I'm still not sold on Rich Wife and It's A Departure, the setlist as a whole looks very rockin'. Glad to see that Delicate Hands is getting more than the usual b-side treatment (ie. ignored).

how can you not like those songs?!?! those are two of the best. in my opinion obviously. i love how (it's a) departure is a real rock song. it's awesome. and my favorite to turn up reaaaaalllly loud.

i like the old days
but not all the old days
only the good old days

that's totally how i feel.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:34 am

I don't know, I guess I'm more into the pop songs than the rock songs. It took me a long time to be able to listen to New Girl, and I still can't get into Prom Night at Hater High.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:36 am

whoah, i'm tempted to get into the (new girl-rock? that's pop if ever there is something) debate, but i'm too psyched about that setlist to get into that.

chris, will you please fly out to europe to get them to play give me a moment over here?

it's funny how tastes differ, rich wife and departure are two of my album faves, whereas seven as yet is the only song that doesn't move me in some way. although i would be interested to see how that works live, it might actually work as the quiet song in between the 'rock' songs, those being the more obvious setlist fodder (in the best sense of the word)

i'd say with the older songs this is pretty much a perfect list of songs i would hope they will still play, although i can still think of some more (but then there are just too much, aren't there)

if the kexp session was any indication, jonathan rothman is a great addition to the band, and i'm looking forward to seeing them in this incarnation

i do realise i'm already on my sixth paragraph here, but genuinely this has me so very excited. i'm really glad this album is going out into the world at last, and although it doesn't have to that long next time, it has been worth the three year wait.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:49 am

sour29 wrote:I don't know, I guess I'm more into the pop songs than the rock songs. It took me a long time to be able to listen to New Girl, and I still can't get into Prom Night at Hater High.

i'd be curious to know what to you the difference is between pop and rock. i find it to be a thin line actually because me i love pop rock. so to me any song that has anything catchy about it is bordering on being pop. rock itself would be a little harder than pop but not always. the whole thing is very tricky.

I KNOW! tell me what to you is a long winters "pop" song. then i can compare. :)

icapants

Postby icapants » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:58 am

Liesbeth wrote:
if the kexp session was any indication, jonathan rothman is a great addition to the band, and i'm looking forward to seeing them in this incarnation

I think he did a wonderful job. John said something about him having learned the entire catalogue in a month and a half (i think) and he seemed to know it pretty well.

I was talking to my roommate who stood outside of the show to listen (it was 21+, but they had one of the doors open since it's been so hot so she saw/heard it pretty well) and we agreed it was a pretty perfect set.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”