is it true????

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Heather_P

is it true????

Postby Heather_P » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:30 pm

from what i've herd from other long winters fans is that most of you think john is a well, ass.

I've meet him and he seams nice to me....go john woot woot

zach

Postby zach » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:43 pm

heehee.

junker347

Postby junker347 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:10 pm

i think you are confused. like most humans, john has an ass, but this does not qualify him as one. hope this helps.

Heather_P

Postby Heather_P » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:59 pm

junker347 wrote:i think you are confused. like most humans, john has an ass, but this does not qualify him as one. hope this helps.

i know john HAS a ass..everyone has a ass

but is he?

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:39 pm

I've never heard anyone say that.

Though, there's probably some truth to the advice to never meet your idols as you may be disappointed. Maybe that's what happened to the fans you met.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:40 pm

i met him once and he seemed nice. *shrug*

GMM

Postby GMM » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:26 am

He's not an ass. He does hate people (I mean people in general, not sepcific people) but you know, he's a cool dude. How could the man who wrote [INSERT TITLE OF YOUR FAVOURITE LONG WINTER SONG HERE] possibly be an ass?

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:04 am

weird post of the week, nay, the month.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:58 am

He's always been nothing but extraordinary nice to me the three times I've talked to him (although the first two were really brief).

The first one was after the show in Toronto in which maybe five people were in the room (including the sound guy). I told him I liked the set and loved the album, and he told me a story about how he only ended up there with a distortion pedal, rather than his usual plethora of effects.

The second time in Montreal, I requested Nora during the set. After they refused my request, John bend down (I was front/center stage) and apologized, explaining they hadn't rehearsed the song yet, and gave me his guitar pick with a promise to play it next time I caught them play.

The third time was in Toronto again, and we talked for a fair amount of time about this and that. He was nothing but pleasant, and more than happy to sign an autograph and take a picture. He even honoured the Nora promise.

I have since communicated with him online a number of times -- mostly about the MySpace page I opened up and ran before turning over to Barsuk -- and he never came off as anything but completely friendly.

So I definately vouch for him as being a very nice, friendly, and warm man.

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:48 am

Well, I got to talk to him after a show in Iowa City and he was really nice to me.

However, he was clubbing a baby seal at the time and kept throwing rocks at the rest of the band...

lagomorph

Postby lagomorph » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:54 am

Hey, everyone. I don't really post anymore, but I thought I'd weigh in on this one. In addition to his oft-noted intellect and wit, John possesses a core of decency, the circumference of which outdistances that of his neck. And he has a good heart. ("Aw!") Hope everyone's summer is delectable so far. Litsa

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:54 am

Heather_P wrote:from what i've herd from other long winters fans is that most of you think john is a well, ass.

So, there's a herd of Long Winters fans roaming in the state of Washington, who are being misfed information? Just because John has admitted to being a grazer doesn't mean he's a donkey - at least not the times I met him.

Squid

Postby Squid » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:28 am

I like him just fine, except when he calls me the wrong name.

You know, I'm all, "Hey John, nice to see you." and he's all, "Yeah, hi Squirrel" and I'm like, "No, dude, I'm SQUID", and he's all, "yeah, exactly thanks for coming Squirrel, have you seen my driver? He was supposed to bring the Exxcalade to the front of the club", and I'm like, "no, but your stylist was here a minute ago and my name is Squid", and he's all, "huh? great. Check you later, Squirrel". But then, he was texting some honeys. I respect a player and, moreover, I do not hate on his game.

I do, however, find him to be a damn good songwriter, and his jokes aren't all that bad, either. Most of the time.

NatureBoy

Postby NatureBoy » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:56 pm

Trying to get anyone to say anything but good things about John is pretty difficult.

Harder still is getting people to say those things on film.

It seems those with dissenting opinions are 'eliminated' not long after their identities are outted. For instance, many people believe John walked across Europe on his own, when in fact he went with a dozen people of varying opinions on the quality of his person.

He came back alone. The others were fed to boars.
Last edited by NatureBoy on Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chadham

Postby chadham » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:29 pm

I refuse the right to pass judgement on JRod's 'being an ass' until I see if I get an advance of this new record...

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:03 am

True story: A gal I know is at a Long Winters show and she spies a young girl standing alone and looking a little lost, so she strikes up a conversation. The young girl seems almost too young to be in a bar, and my friend chats amiably with her for a bit about the Long Winters, (not revealing that she knows me), before the girl blurts out, "Everybody thinks Chris Walla is so nice, but I went out with him for a while (?!?!) and he was super mean to me. John Roderick is supposed to be really mean, so maybe that means he's actually nice." My friend was nonplussed.

Moni

Postby Moni » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:25 am

Squid wrote:I like him just fine, except when he calls me the wrong name.

And here I was thinking he only does that to me

NatureBoy

Postby NatureBoy » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:44 am

So let's say, hypothetically, that John is a huge insufferable asshole. A total 'that guy'.

Would that change anyone's opinion on the songs he writes or the music he makes?

Or, in more general terms: Is a quality character (or at the very least a lack of bad or unknown character) a requisite trait for an indie-rock artist's overall appreciation or fandom? Or is one's character so exclusive from the art they produce that it doesn't really matter?

GMM

Postby GMM » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:18 am

John wrote:"Everybody thinks Chris Walla is so nice, but I went out with him for a while (?!?!)."

"Sure you did, suuuure you did"

longtimecoming

Postby longtimecoming » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:19 pm

john has a nice ass, holla! not like my fat ass, which sadly can fit into anysize jeans, but the evil belly makes me get higher,,society of the golden west high type belly. im a size 12 though...

john is so nice. when i first saw the ldubs, in 2002, i was 283 and a size 20, and i saw this dude walk up to me, start a conversation about if i was there to see the dubs...i said i was into harvey danger...he stood next to me the whole show of the openers, then i saw him onstage. i have pictures. i get smitten by nice men, but the end he walked away with a girl, waved at me. while bummed (yes, johns bum rox) i was smittened. he was nice to me in my suicidal downfall (now harvey danger fans hate me cause of what i did, now they are telling me..sorry) and wrote a great letter saying he was proud to have me as a fan. john is rockin.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”