NYC: J-Rod at 826NYC Benefit

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

kathryn

NYC: J-Rod at 826NYC Benefit

Postby kathryn » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:52 am

Jon Stewart, Sufjan Stevens, Dave Eggers, Sarah Vowell, John Roderick
Beacon Theatre, New York, NY
Wed, Aug 23, 2006 08:00 PM
http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/00003CEB9D456336

826NYC and The Bowery Presents present REVENGE OF THE BOOK-EATERS, a star-studded night featuring some of today's most recognized names in indie-rock, literature, and comedy, including SUFJAN STEVENS (in a rare solo acoustic performance), JON STEWART, DAVID BYRNE (alone, onstage, with a guitar), DAVE EGGERS (best-selling author of A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius), SARAH VOWELL (best-selling author and This American Life contributor), JOHN HODGMAN (Daily Show regular and author of The Areas of My Expertise) and JOHN RODERICK (The Long Winters) and special guests to be announced in an evening that promises once and for all to settle the debate: words or music - which is better?

The evening will benefit 826NYC, a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting students aged 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. www.826nyc.org

Internet Onsale Info
Onsale to General Public:
Thu, 07/13/06 12:00 PM EDT

icapants

Postby icapants » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:57 am

HELLO JEALOUSY.

Man I love Jon Stewart and Dave Eggers!

junker347

Postby junker347 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:17 pm

WOOO I LOVE THE EAST COAST!!!!!

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:29 pm

Seriously?

This sounds more like a hodgepodge dream of mine with all my favorite humans, except you are missing Ira Glass and Rick Steves.

Am I dreaming? Maybe I'm dreaming.

Forrest

Postby Forrest » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:31 pm

Wow, Kathryn, I didn't even know you were a member here. Way to appear from nowhere and make me jealous as hell.

All y'all NYCers better enjoy the hell out of this. I mean, we get some of those folks at Bumbershoot this year for the 826 Seattle event...but JON FUCKING STEWART?

thepeter

Postby thepeter » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:51 pm

yeah, but a $30 to $50 ticket? that's spendy. maybe if the show were next door, but i can't justify the 3-hour drive on top of the expensive-ass ticket just to see david byrne and roderick play maybe 5 songs each, tops.

i mean, jon stewart is funny, but on the tv he's funny for free.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:26 pm

thepeter wrote:yeah, but a $30 to $50 ticket? that's spendy. maybe if the show were next door, but i can't justify the 3-hour drive on top of the expensive-ass ticket just to see david byrne and roderick play maybe 5 songs each, tops.

Why are the words "indolently entitled" popping to mind? Why don't you just say the rock equivalent of, "I don't get out of bed for less than $10,000 a day"?

Do you realize this is an ALL STAR lineup (with none of that "every-club- must-be-represented-even-the-Royals crap)? That these people established the center of our culture in this generation? And it has a heart too? I mean, The Long Winters. This American Life. The Daily Show. The Eggers literature-artist-supporting/generating-machine....who has done anything better?

Do you realize there are starving fans on the other side of the world who pay 2x that much and take a train 45 min and two buses to see faded 90s stars AND WE APPRECIATE IT?

*pant, pant* Ok, clearly the issue here is 99.7% mine, but... have some tenderness, man.

thepeter

Postby thepeter » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:27 pm

Betty Felon wrote:
thepeter wrote:yeah, but a $30 to $50 ticket? that's spendy. maybe if the show were next door, but i can't justify the 3-hour drive on top of the expensive-ass ticket just to see david byrne and roderick play maybe 5 songs each, tops.

Why are the words "indolently entitled" popping to mind? Why don't you just say the rock equivalent of, "I don't get out of bed for less than $10,000 a day"?

Do you realize this is an ALL STAR lineup (with none of that "every-club- must-be-represented-even-the-Royals crap)? That these people established the center of our culture in this generation? And it has a heart too?

eh - that only names on the bill i give any sort of a fuck over are john and byrne. so i maintain it's not like an all-star-minus-royals lineup. it's more like a mariners vs. yankees lineup, where i like cheering on a few of the seattle players but don't care about the admittantly talanted new york team. and i just don't dig paying all-star game prices to get into a regular-season game.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:39 pm

i already have my ticket for the non-jon stewart version (*sigh*) in seattle. it will still be awesome, i'm certain.

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:23 am

John AND Jon Stewart AND David Byrne. If I hadn't dropped dead just now I'd be crying for the rest of the week, thank you very much.

GMM

Postby GMM » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:49 am

Good christ that sounds like the best thing in the world ever. If only I were the right side of the atlantic.

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:40 am

Seriously, that show should be flagged for illegal use of awesomeness.

Rumor has it the special guests will be a British invasion of Eddie Izzard and a full-scale Beatles reunion featuring the ghosts of John and George.

Would THAT get you there thePete?

kathryn

Postby kathryn » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:19 am

Forrest wrote:Wow, Kathryn, I didn't even know you were a member here. Way to appear from nowhere and make me jealous as hell.

All y'all NYCers better enjoy the hell out of this. I mean, we get some of those folks at Bumbershoot this year for the 826 Seattle event...but JON FUCKING STEWART?

Hey there, friend. That's what I do best.

The show's pricey, but it's for charity! This is how I'm self-justifying. And I just started a new job.

Orchestra, (second row), seats 9 and 11. *wags thumbs*

thepeter

Postby thepeter » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:58 am

No You Are wrote:Rumor has it the special guests will be a British invasion of Eddie Izzard and a full-scale Beatles reunion featuring the ghosts of John and George.

Would THAT get you there thePete?

yes, it would.

and actually, if i were in LA i'd definitely be at that show. mountain goats + roderick + aimee mann definitely kick the NY lineup's ass.

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:53 am

Nice LA action there. Why come stuff like that doesn't come to MY town.

Oh yeah... I live in Iowa.

galleta

Postby galleta » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:08 am

i wish i could go kick some asses.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:29 am

Oh my gosh. I can totally still go. I would probably pay double for this. 8hr drive, I can stay with friends...(thinking).....

galleta

Postby galleta » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:32 am

but I really mean it... kicking asses. literally. kick! kick!
kick!

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:30 pm

galleta

Postby galleta » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:37 pm

""The event, along with its performances, will ultimately strive to determine which is better: words or music?"

JUAJUAJUAJUA!

Return to “Give Me a Moment”