scared straight is brilliant

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

trashcan_afterthought

scared straight is brilliant

Post by trashcan_afterthought »

i dont know, just wanted to let everyone know. all the songs are brilliant tho :-)
SLR

I have to second that

Post by SLR »

I think it's brilliant because you never know if you're the one singing or the one one being sung to. Everytime I listen to it I get more confused.
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

"You want to burn the liars? You'll set us both on fire!"

One of my favorite songs on the album.
BladeRunner

About Sacred Straight

Post by BladeRunner »

I was just wondering "the message" behind Sacred Straight. Was the song reflecting someone in real life, or was it suppose to be something else?
trashcan_afterthought

"act nice!"

-2nd greatest line ever

"you never say i love you until i say i love you, like we're exchanging hostages"

-greatest line ever
BladeRunner

Post by BladeRunner »

that last lyric came from Nora, not scared straight.
SLR

Re: About Sacred Straight

Post by SLR »

BladeRunner wrote:I was just wondering "the message" behind Sacred Straight. Was the song reflecting someone in real life, or was it suppose to be something else?

Definately about someone (many ones.) Himself included, I'm sure. I think even he was confused writing that one. "You want to burn the liars? You'll set us both on fire..." hits so close to home for anyone who has loved a little too extravagantly.

By the way, "...like we're exchanging hostages" has always been my favorite line of any and all songs by anyone. Especially live, it gives me a chill or a tear every time.

Hey Merlin! Can we get a spell check on this bad boy so I don't make an ass out of myself around all of these damn readers?[code][/code]
Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Post by Merlin »

SLR wrote:Hey Merlin! Can we get a spell check on this bad boy so I don't make an ass out of myself around all of these damn readers?

Lemme check, Susan. I don't know of one, but I'll see what I can do. :)
mildlyrestarted

Post by mildlyrestarted »

SLR wrote:
By the way, "...like we're exchanging hostages" has always been my favorite line of any and all songs by anyone. Especially live, it gives me a chill or a tear every time.

it's good to see you here, susan. :)
BladeRunner

Post by BladeRunner »

SLR wrote:Definately about someone (many ones.) Himself included, I'm sure. I think even he was confused writing that one. "You want to burn the liars? You'll set us both on fire..." hits so close to home for anyone who has loved a little too extravagantly.

Well, I just don't want to wrap it into something it's not; especially since it's eerily relatable to someone I know. Those who frequent the Harvey Danger, and read the one topic about drugs and it's legalization know who I'm talking about. Yeah, they just don't that nice of a life. Infact, I am constantly refer to as their savior and the only reasoning for living. So, yeah, Scared Straight, gives me somewhat of a positive message, believe it or not, because I take a sort of new-found freedom that is associated with it (the "plaintive, you're feeling so washed up...you called to say you're gonna run" verse). It speaks of being forced down by a female individual, the same is for my current situation. It cuts suprizingly deep, and I'm actually relucant to have them listen to the song and get, what I'm assuming, is the wrong idea.

SLR wrote:By the way, "...like we're exchanging hostages" has always been my favorite line of any and all songs by anyone. Especially live, it gives me a chill or a tear every time.

Nora, heh, Nora reminds me of a previous relationship. I can literally relate to every lyric. That relationship was fucked to being with. She called it off on the count that I wasn't abusive enough. So right now, if anything, I constantly find myself refer to "She know what she wants, and I know what she is going to get" whenever the discussion comes up.

whoa, this was a bit of a release. Oh well.
trashcan_afterthought

BladeRunner wrote:that last lyric came from Nora, not scared straight.

oh, i know
SLR

Bladerunner, take what you can

Post by SLR »

The entire CD is a release for me. The lyrics kept me going when I was just about to break down. Every word and/or theme is so applicable to my own dysfunction. No offense John! I've gotten extremely positive messages from the songs and have learned a lot about my relationships through them. (Is that sad?)

That's more than I had ever hoped for. I guess I should say thank you. Thank you.
BladeRunner

Post by BladeRunner »

No, I don't think it's sad, I just don't want to mute John's message by screaming out "MY GOD, THE THEME OF THIS SONG SO RELATES TO ME!!! THAT MEANS IT'S ABOUT ME!! THANK YOU, YOU SEXY BEAST YOU!"

....doens't exactly comb over well; you know?
inverted/converted

You know Karate now? From a show??

Post by inverted/converted »

One of my favorite lines, "You know karate now? From a show?" that line makes me chuckle ...alot, for some odd reason, and then it rises up some bitterness toward a "friend". She trys to out do me all the time, etc.

"Nora says I don't love her the way she wants to be loved", I always replace that with "Brian says I dont love him the way he wants to be loved" and then I say to myself, Brian is a fucker anyway.

-yinnia
SLR

school of love

Post by SLR »

I definately saw my ex-boyfriend portrayed in the songs and learned about the mistakes he made through them. More importantly, the words have been a looking glass into my own dumb ass actions and reactions in the relationship. The person you're with always has negative qualities but you always do too. Darn. If you work hard enough can you ever be perfect?