Feeling competitive?

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Squid

Feeling competitive?

Postby Squid » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:57 pm

I certainly hope so, coz it's contest time!

http://www.pastemagazine.com/thelongwinters

Part (that's right, only part) of le grande prize is a customized Long Winters Epiphone Les Paul Special II with the PTDTB cover art neatly ensconced on its front. Then there's some other prize where J-Rod signs everything for you. I mean, everything...all the albums, your socks, small animals, you name it. Why, if I wasn't so busy trying to win Kelly Clarkson's mustang, I'd be entering under all sorts of fake aliases! Instead, I'm just telling all of you, in the hopes that you'll win one for the Squipper.

Make me proud, people...

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:08 pm

Damn. I could really use a new guitar. Especially a free one.

junker347

Postby junker347 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:21 pm

OH MAN FREE IZZE SPARKLING JUICE!!!!

A Mess

Postby A Mess » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:21 pm

hahah can you IMAGINE how ridiculous you would look playing that guitar? i hope i win so i can be that ridiculous.

Forrest

Postby Forrest » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:17 am

Something tells me I'm probably not eligible for this contest.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:25 am

but maybe you will get to hold the guitar for a moment or two?

I was definitely worried that it would be a USA thing only, but that doesn't seem the case. However, the contest rules are hidden behind a member log-in so that's pretty unuseful.
That guitar is the ultimate in fan geekness though.

bijou

i entered on behalf of

Postby bijou » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:46 am

i entered on behalf of... my best gal, whose much loved red baby fender "trixie" is already suffering a broken peg that connects the guitar strap. she would be mucho proud and not "too cool" to own any guitar (let alone an epiphone) from her favorite band.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:20 am

I have the same broken strap problem, too. It was actually held in by a screw, which has stripped the body of the guitar, completely, so the screw won't stay in at all. Sad, sad, sad.

bijou

best gal's first guitar...

Postby bijou » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:43 pm

yeah she wasn't happy about it either. it was her first... a gift on her 7th birthday with baby marshall practice amp. her late father's acoustic guitars (a greg barrett Samich D7 and an Epi ED100) are still too big, but she was constantly trying to play them and i was afraid they would see the damage only a small child can (unintentionally) inflict on precious items she may want later on in her life. i asked if she wanted an acoustic, but little gal was stuck on electric, so she gave trixie, a candy apple red fender in the seattle guitar center a home. she still plays it, but it would still be nice to use the strap and let her jump around again. her secret weapon of cuteness remains lethal to all who encounter. (;-D)+{

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:46 pm

Entered... and hoping to win.

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:30 pm

For all you strap button people who think you're screwed (pun intended), if they're solid bodies, (or really any guitar) you should be able to pull out the screw, stick in a toothpick or two and some basic white glue (or whatever), break off the excess length on the toothpick(s) and screw in your strap button.

If that method is too low end MacGuyver for you, you can get a drill bit and a dowel of the same size (most any size, as long as it's bigger than the strap button screw, and smaller than the strap button where it touches the body), drill where the hole was to make a larger and smoother hole, brush some glue on the dowel, tap it into the hole, let the glue dry, cut off the excess and drill a new small pilot hole for the strap button into the center of the dowel. Either method will ensure that if you're playing with your guitar perched on your knee, it's because you want it there.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:34 am

That sounds like a neat trick! I'll try it out -- thanks!

Now, how can I keep that MF in tune? Ha.

Squid

Postby Squid » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:21 am

Flyn wrote:For all you strap button people who think you're screwed (pun intended), if they're solid bodies, (or really any guitar) you should be able to pull out the screw, stick in a toothpick or two and some basic white glue (or whatever), break off the excess length on the toothpick(s) and screw in your strap button.

Now see, I struggled for a moment, trying to decide whether or not to put this contest in "Band Nerd" instead...and Flyn has proven my unease to be well-founded with this golden nugget of guitar-fu! Ah well.

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:33 am

oops, I meant:

Wooooo, win a guitar!

bijou

guitar repair tips

Postby bijou » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:58 pm

thanks flyn.... i'll see if my diy skills extend into repairing my kid's guitar, i've been humbled before with much smaller tasks than this... thanks again!!

GMM

Postby GMM » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:04 pm

Oooh. I shall enter when I get back from school today

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:28 am

too bad that the link on this competition page to the Pushover live footage at the Gibson Baldwin Showroom doesn't work. I've searched all over the Paste site for a webmaster e-mail address, but all they want is to get you to suscribe. Understandable, I'm sure, but not what I was looking for.

GMM

Postby GMM » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:27 am

Eeeep. I can't find a definite date for one the band formed! I am doooomed

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:54 am

I said it was the year of the first LW live shows.

GMM

Postby GMM » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:07 am

Hmm. *goes to check dates of live shows against other possible years*

edit: Aargh, but the year of the first official LDubs show or the year before that when John and Sean played together?

I'll go for the first official show and pray lots

Return to “Give Me a Moment”