PTDTB Vinyl?

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Forrest

Postby Forrest » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:05 am

sour29 wrote:I remember a couple of bands telling me that vinyl is crazy-cheap to press -- much less than cds, even. But it's not done frequently because they don't sell in terribly large quantities.

That being said, I don't work for Barsuk and I'm not really qualified to be responding to this message.

Um, whoever told you that must be referring to some shitty vinyl. High quality 140-gram and 180-gram is not even close to being cheap to produce. That said, we didn't run these records, they were licensed to The Control Group, so I don't know exactly how much their production costs are. And even if I did, I wouldn't be talking about it here.

Just order the vinyl, embrace it, cherish it, share your deepest secrets and longing glances with it. You won't be sorry.

keaneuk

I love vinyl

Postby keaneuk » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:42 am

But i dont think that its for sale in the uk on vinyl, So if you can get it in that format good on you.
I will have to be happy with my cds.

rgds neil

ps congrats to the record co for producing it in vinyl as they didnt have too

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:35 pm

sour29 wrote:I remember a couple of bands telling me that vinyl is crazy-cheap to press -- much less than cds, even. But it's not done frequently because they don't sell in terribly large quantities.

That being said, I don't work for Barsuk and I'm not really qualified to be responding to this message.

From being in the room during the brainstorming sessions about the vinyl editions of their catalog, I can tell you that the expense of doing this was a concern, but the greatest priority was making the very highest quality, feature-packed records they could - even to a comical degree (ideas spanned hand-bound booklets made from the tiny hands of child labor, quadruple-gatefold pop-up-book editions, dual-album sleeves with one being a full-length album and the other being an 8", and so on), price be damned.

I just got my boxed set and I can say quite definitively: it is teh awesome, and worth every penny.

Just buy it. It's a no-brainer.

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:22 pm

Curiosity leads me to ask: where is the track listing split across A and B-sides? Is Shanty Town on the LP? I noticed there didn't appear to be lyric sheets. Is there an insert I missed somewhere? Or are they absent? One a scare from 1-10, how awesome/sucky are the new Ultimatum tracks?

SoL

hi from argentina

Postby SoL » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:38 pm

hello.. i`m Sol from Argentina.. i was conected when a found a song of this band.. the song was "Pushover" from "Putting the days to bed", i realy like it.. buy i don`t know so much about this band.. so i would like you to coment me some things about them..actually i broke up (?is that expresion ok?) with my boyfriend and his birthday is comming so i`d like to buy him the last CD. sorry about my "english" but i speak español.. waiting your answers![/quote]

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:51 pm

Hola Sol, good to see someone from South-America here!
I just saw the band live tonight, and they were great. Their new album is really good, and it will make a good gift for everyone, I think. Sorry to hear about the break-up though.
Does anyone know any Spanish here? I can say Adios, but that's about it. Buenas noches mis amigos.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:14 am

i had my set sent to my work so it wouldn't sit outside my door at home. when it arrived on friday (the quickness from ordering to receiving was wonderful!) i ran to the door and back to my desk to open it right quick. others watched as i opened it and i showed them. one asked if i was ever going to play them. uh, no. they are to look at and admire (and hug as i was doing for a moment), not ruin by playing. truthfully i don't know if i will ever open them. i'm kind of afraid to. since i have all the releases on cd (except the extras on ultimatum) i have no reason to play them. i do want to look at the insides but when i do break down to open them i will leave the cellophane on the outside, just a slit down the side to get the insides out. the box itself is nothing fancy really but it does look REALLY nice. even the fiance who is not a long winters fan agreed it is display worthy. right now it sits on our mantle until i have a permanent home for it. i also need to decide if i am going to hang up all those posters that came w/it. i think if i do my house will look like a long winters shrine and that's just crazy. right?

to sum it up, the vinyl box set = glorious! i'm in love.

philistien

Postby philistien » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:45 pm

i'm so excited about this. i ordered it yesterday and it shipped today, but sadly i had it sent to the home in seattle....so i don't get it until christmas, and i'll have to explain the package to the parents. but how was i going to carry them home to the record player from maine? here's to two months of waiting.

thepeter

Postby thepeter » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:13 pm

one asked if i was ever going to play them. uh, no. they are to look at and admire (and hug as i was doing for a moment), not ruin by playing.

eh, i could never get into the whole "it's a record, but i'm not going to play it" thing. sure, i've got the cds. but i just have trouble getting past the idea of gettinga record and then not having all the fun of opening it and sliding the record out and putting the needle down on it. it's not like i'll ever sell them, so who cares if i hurt a theoretical market value? cause the value as percieved by me goes up exponentially if i actually play the damn thing.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:19 pm

especially if there are unreleased songs on it. How can you stand not opening Ultimatum? Sure, they aren't new songs, but they are very different versions from the official ones (and some very nearly had been the official ones, so I'm told).

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:54 pm

Liesbeth wrote:Sure, they aren't new songs, but they are very different versions from the official ones (and some very nearly had been the official ones, so I'm told).
Neato! Elaborate?

GMM

Postby GMM » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:01 am

Would anyone be kind enough to post photos of The Box?

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:59 am

sour29 wrote:
Liesbeth wrote:Sure, they aren't new songs, but they are very different versions from the official ones (and some very nearly had been the official ones, so I'm told).
Neato! Elaborate?

yeah, I was afraid it would come to this. I suck at titles and was talking about this to John at around 3.30 am, both of which don't make for very accurate memory, but I think that either the vinyl Clouds or Seven was nearly the official choice for the record. Frankly, I'm not sure which song it was.

I think it's intriguing though. Most bands I know will record more songs than end up on the record. But very few do I know that do different versions of the same song, and then choose which version will make the album.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:03 am

thepeter wrote:eh, i could never get into the whole "it's a record, but i'm not going to play it" thing. sure, i've got the cds. but i just have trouble getting past the idea of gettinga record and then not having all the fun of opening it and sliding the record out and putting the needle down on it. it's not like i'll ever sell them, so who cares if i hurt a theoretical market value? cause the value as percieved by me goes up exponentially if i actually play the damn thing.

my not wanting to open them or play them has nothing to do w/ruining the market value. it's more about keeping them in tact look wise.
i have quite a few records that i own that have never been opened including a posies and a nirvana.
i do want to open them to look at everything but i'm not really interested in playing them. and technically i can't play them right now because my son broke my needle when trying to do some dusting.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:05 am

Liesbeth wrote:especially if there are unreleased songs on it. How can you stand not opening Ultimatum? Sure, they aren't new songs, but they are very different versions from the official ones (and some very nearly had been the official ones, so I'm told).

if this gives you any indication....i bought the ultimatum CD i don't even know how long ago and still haven't listened to it to this day.

GMM

Postby GMM » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:10 am

A Brutaful Smile wrote:
Liesbeth wrote:especially if there are unreleased songs on it. How can you stand not opening Ultimatum? Sure, they aren't new songs, but they are very different versions from the official ones (and some very nearly had been the official ones, so I'm told).

if this gives you any indication....i bought the ultimatum CD i don't even know how long ago and still haven't listened to it to this day.

You're missing out...

Return to “Give Me a Moment”