the show at Ekko in Utrecht

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

pas de nom
Location: Seattle... at the moment, in the middle of France (Montluçon)

the show at Ekko in Utrecht

Post by pas de nom »

I am a Seattlite studying abroad in France, though I have a break at the end of October and heading up to Utrecht for the Long Winters show... words can not describe how excited I am. Though I was wondering if anyone knows if I can buy tickets ahead of time from Ekko. I went to the Ekko website and when I clicked on the 'ticket' link, though the link didn't work. I won't be arriving in Utrecht until the show and I want to make sure I will be able to get in. I don't know any Dutch, but from this except below, I think it says the capacity of Ekko is only 150 and I don't know the popularity of TLW, but I just want to make sure I will be able to get in.
Thanks

EKKO, gelegen in het centrum van Utrecht, is één van de toonaangevende poppodia in Nederland. In EKKO spelen vernieuwende (inter)nationale bands, draaien dj’s hip-hop, pop, reggae, rock. In het eethuis wordt een vegetarische driegangenmenu geserveerd voor slechts 8,50. Naast een vaste staf, werken er bij EKKO ruim 150 vrijwilligers mee in de bedrijfsvoering.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

hehe, it actually says that about 150 volunteers work for Ekko (and they are not all there at any given night :-)

the capacity is about 250, and on a Monday night, with the current popularity of the band, (alas) I am pretty sure the concert is not likely to sell out and if so not before the night.

The ticketservice online works again, but doesn't yet have a credit card option so it's no use to you. My advice: send them an e-mail through info@ekko.nl, explain that you come all the way from France for this show and can they make a reservation for you that you will pay at the door because you can't use the ticketservice. They used to do it that way all the time before this e-ticketing, and I dare say they will do it now, they are nice people.

Should they reply that they cannot, feel free to pm me, and I will gladly buy a ticket in advance for you. Or if you need any other advice or help. Look forward to meeting you, I will be the slightly confused looking soul, who just had her first communications exam - my Fall break is one week later...

One advice: get there in time, the venue always runs on time, because they have a 23:00 curfew.
pas de nom

Post by pas de nom »

thank you so much for all your helpful information and also correcting me on my bad translation of Dutch :)
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

yay, we had an international little board meeting. Short, but I forgot to warn Alaina that I'm fairly incoherent after any Long Winters show.

Although to be fair this wasn't just any Long Winters show. It was my thirteenth show so far and it was fantabulous. I will go on record saying that I think this is the best Long Winters line-up I've ever seen live. Although this was the first European show the jetlags had been kicked and it sounded as solid as if they had been on the road for weeks. Solid as in good solid, as in -steady base you can diverge from so it's smooth as well. Smooth solid, or solid smooth, that's what it was.

The venue stopped playing the music before the guys were ready. So John tuned his guitar while the rest started the show with a jam. There was more delay in between songs, most notably when John had no idea how to tune his guitar for Departure. The whole band chipped in on whether he even used a capo on it or not (2 in favor, 2 against, the guitarplayers beat the rhythm section on this)... Let's just say they have a week left before they play in front of arenas and have to get their shit together - thankfully they can goof around on shows like this, I love it.

Poor Nabil, he's been in the band for over a year, and still he's the new drummer. When I say I was totally compelled to watch his subtle egg-shaking, by no means is that meant to belittle his drumming. It's just that it's so solid that I had plenty of time to watch Jonathan most of the time. I just had to see where all those unfamiliar yet familiar sounds came from. With a second guitar and a stage full of keyboards and synths, the sound is so rich, especially compared to the stripped down set-up of the river otter line-up, which were the last band shows I had seen. I think John's guitarparts get more room with the additional guitar, and everything is well-dosed. Sound was really good, and nice 'n loud.

Right, setlist. I wrote it down every few songs or so, and even so, I am not entirely sure I got it right, I was just so mesmerized after a while that I forgot about these earthly things. I'm pretty sure all of this was played, but I don't know exactly where Carparts and Pushover were in the set. There were lots of requests, some of which were played, others didn't fit in the set (like Mimi, MedCab and Bride&Bridle). The turn-out wasn't bad for a Monday night, and the crowd was well, well into it.

jam
cinnamon
fire island, ak
rich wife
shapes
clouds
honest
blue diamonds (john piano)
the commander (john piano)
teaspoon
carparts
stupid
departure
prom night at hater high
pushover
'quiet' ultimatum (drummer's choice)

The merch table was entirely filled with goodies. They brought two new t-shirt designs: a blue girly and bright green regular shirt with a tree with a birds nest design, will post a pic later. However, I went for a grey penguin shirt, and vinyl! Bought all of them. I kid you not when I'm saying that everytime I even think about those records, my saliva glands are activated. Maybe I should leave them all in the cellophane so I won't spoil them when I drool.

I will end by sincerely apologizing to the Ekko crew and the band for keeping Jonathan chatting at the merch table when he should be breaking up his gear. But hell, anyone would have loved to hear about a rock-opera based on Hemingway's Farewell to Arms, with Colin Meloy as the soldier, wouldn't they? Only half-way during load-out did I realise that maybe it wasn't such a good idea to go for drinks when I had an exam again today, I had so forgotten about the real world. Looking forward to Amsterdam already.
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

There should always be a place for MedCab!
(and thanks for the report!)
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

où en france est-ce que tu étudies?
sour29

Post by sour29 »

Hey! I know what that means! <3

(Although my French is what you might call tres terrible!)
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

les tees nouvelles avec des oiseaux:
sour29

Post by sour29 »

OK, got all but that last word there.

Those are really nice shirts. I got the plain black one, with The Long Winters in cursive.
zach

Post by zach »

Ooh... I want one. What sizes do they run in? Up to 2XL? Because that would be amazing. Hopefully at least an XL...

Who wants to get one for me and ship it out to New York?
sour29

Post by sour29 »

Kind of an ironic design, considering the name of the band... but cute, nevertheless!
the new girl

Post by the new girl »

I love it! It's like the L-Dubs are putting out seasonal shirts...this one is so obviously spring (what with the baby birdies), the penguin is winter (and I suppose any shirt with 'The Long Winters' is kinda wintery if you get technical), now all we need is a summer shirt and a fall/autumn shirt to complete the set :)

It'd be a nice counterpart to the vinyl set...the seasonal t-shirt set :)

(I must've had too much free candy at work today, because I'm feeling silllly!)
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

zach wrote:Ooh... I want one. What sizes do they run in? Up to 2XL? Because that would be amazing. Hopefully at least an XL...

I will have a look tomorrow to see what sizes they have, my husband had similar questions. He sometimes buys an XL when he really wants a shirt they don't have in XXL, then blames me and the laundry for it not fitting anymore.

I think the band have had an amazing amount of different designs going, it's hard to keep up. I really should start work on a merch section for the library.

Oops, nearly forgot: live review in Dutch, but with photo for the linguistically challenged. It compares John to Jim Royle, head of the Royle Family, a great English tv show, which had a one-off special last Sunday. Now, Jim Royle is a couch potato first class, and I'm not sure the comparison is terribly flattering, even if John is called a younger and less cynical version of the character. But hey, the reviewer thinks even Jim Royle would have loved the show, and that must be a compliment, because he is notoriously hard to please.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

that photo in the dutch review does not look like john...
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

I know, it's weird, innit?
zach

Post by zach »

chelsea wrote:that photo in the dutch review does not look like john...

Yeah, lately it seems John doesn't look like John.

2Pac, anyone?
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

pas de nom

Post by pas de nom »

chelsea wrote:où en france est-ce que tu étudies?

Désolée que je n’aie pas répondu très vite, mais j’étudie à Nantes. C’est une ville qui est environ deux heures ouest de Paris par train. Nantes est aussi une ville jumelée avec Seattle.
Harvey Winters

Post by Harvey Winters »

Lol...Utrecht:

Foreman- I don't care who bloody started it. What's it about?

Second Miner- Well ... he said the bloody Treaty of Utrecht was 1713.

First Miner- So it bloody is.

Second Miner- No it bloody isn't. It wasn't ratified 'til February 1714.

First Miner- He's bluffing. You're mind's gone, Jenkins. You're rubbish.

Foreman- He's right, Jenkins. It was ratified September 1713. The whole bloody pit knows that. Look in Trevelyan, page 468.

Third Miner- He's thinking of the Treaty of bloody Westphalia.

Second Miner- Are you saying I don't know the difference between the War of the bloody Spanish Succession and the Thirty bloody Years War?

Third Miner- You don't know the difference between the Battle of Borodino and a tiger's bum.