John Roderick setlists for Keane tour?

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Pushover

John Roderick setlists for Keane tour?

Postby Pushover » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:33 pm

Hello, I am going to see John Roderick of The Long Winters supporting Keane at the Reading Rivermead this Saturday, and I was wondering what songs to expect him to do?

What songs has he been doing on the other UK dates at Hull, Manchester & Edinburgh?

Thanks in advance of your replies!

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:55 pm

it seems likely that you'll hear....

pushover
hindsight
clouds
seven
honest
ultimatum
it'll be a breeze
carparts
scent of lime

oh this is getting me excited for the seattle show in just over a month!

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:32 pm

Oh, man. It'll Be A Breeze. I love that song. JR & co. have to come back soon. There's a whole slew of songs I'd still love to hear.

Any one know if the band knows Copernicus? I've always loved that song...

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:40 pm

It just dawned on me that there will be a time when they never play songs from the first album anymore. *sincerely cries*

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:49 pm

sour29 wrote:
Any one know if the band knows Copernicus? I've always loved that song...

i've never heard it live. i love it also.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:36 pm

Not even the WSH version? Man, that's something to behold.

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:02 pm

chelsea wrote:oh this is getting me excited for the seattle show in just over a month!

Whuh?

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:38 am

chelsea wrote:it seems likely that you'll hear....

(...)

this is just a guess from previous solo shows, I take it?
I checked out the Keane board yesterday, but only found one photo so far, right about here

and Adam, you will want to check this topic for info about that Seattle show. It's not on the LW website yet, but is confirmed on the Highroad touring site.

Pushover

Postby Pushover » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:50 am

chelsea wrote:it seems likely that you'll hear....

pushover
hindsight
clouds
seven
honest
ultimatum
it'll be a breeze
carparts
scent of lime

oh this is getting me excited for the seattle show in just over a month!

9 songs seems a lot for a support act, can anyone confirm that John Roderick has played these on the current Keane UK tour please? There is also another support act on after him before Keane come on (Captain = http://www.captaintheband.com). Not that i would complain mind you! The more the better! Thanks for the information!

philistien

Postby philistien » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:09 pm

i would say nine is really not that many for an opener....especially an opener that is considerably better than the headliner (i'm just saying. sorry to all you keane fans out there)

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:27 pm

I would say to expect 6-8 of those songs, depending on venue curfews, etc.

keaneuk

john roderick acoustic during keane shows

Postby keaneuk » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:01 pm

ok well john roderick was fantastic on his own acoustic (great voice) may be i will upset some now but i thought he sounded like REM lead singer (stipe) Yes it was worth getting there early as got to see him perform three times reading, and alexandra palace twice.
He didnt sing the same 6 songs on any of the nights. (but may have sung pushover every night)

ok of the ones i can remember
pushover
hindsight
(one about a shuttle crash-cant remember the name)
rock singer (song by a mother who wrote song about her daughter who had a crush on a rock singer)
i cant remeber the other songs but as he has a great voice i was happy to hear all.
He is a very funny guy as well he has great skills in having banter will the fans. Maybe we were lucky to hear him without the rest of the band.

For the fans who will see him in europe enjoy and enjoy keane

best regards Neil

ps off to buy the cd now

sour29

Re: john roderick acoustic during keane shows

Postby sour29 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:15 pm

Am I the only one who doesn't hear the Stipe in John's voice? Not upset by the comparison (it could be much worse) -- I just don't hear it.

keaneuk wrote:pushover
hindsight
(one about a shuttle crash-cant remember the name)
rock singer (song by a mother who wrote song about her daughter who had a crush on a rock singer)
[...]He is a very funny guy as well he has great skills in having banter will the fans. Maybe we were lucky to hear him without the rest of the band.

Pushover
Hindsight
The Commander Thinks Aloud
Honest

And trust me -- he's just as great with his banter and fan interaction with the full band as he is solo. :)

keaneuk

hi

Postby keaneuk » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:11 pm

thanks for your reply (i have to say that it is worth the ticket price just to see john roderick (he was actually his funniest at reading) he has such scope with his voice. We have over here have to compair him to someone, and thats the closest we found.
I am so looking forward to getting there cd (but maybe ive been spoilt by hearing him acoustically).
The european tour has really something to look forward too. He told us he was 79 and kept his hair long to make him look young.
After three nights of hearing him sing i was sad not to get the chance to hear him again.
There is other USA acts that i love but are not main stream ( i love gavin degraw music and have lucky (or maybe not in your eyes to meet him 3 times).
There is so much better music out there which WE in the UK dont hear.

Please please advise me what cd of the long winters cd i should buy. (i love the rock singer ok yes i know its not called that) So maybe its a big thank you to KEANE for opening are eyes and ears to John.

It must of been hard for him in front of 8000 fans of keane to sing as well as he did . OK we are behind the times in the UK but for the long winters maybe now they have arrived.

Keep supporting the long winters as they (as far as listening to john they deserve success).

Maybe they will do a show in london as a unit in the future.

best regards Neil (and sorry if i offended anyone re my rem remark)

sour29

Re: hi

Postby sour29 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:00 pm

keaneuk wrote:Please please advise me what cd of the long winters cd i should buy. (i love the rock singer ok yes i know its not called that) So maybe its a big thank you to KEANE for opening are eyes and ears to John.
Well, the latest album, Putting The Days To Bed is a classy little disc. Most of the songs you heard live were probably culled from that. It's really hard to pick a disc, because there's so many great songs on each of them that you feel bad not picking it. But I think if someone held a gun to my head and made me pick which album was my favourite, I'd pick When I Pretend To Fall, their previous LP.

Oh, and I picked up the Gavin DeGraw cd a couple of weeks ago at the Salvation Army outlet store for $2. What a steal! :)

zach

Postby zach » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:23 pm

Yeah. I'm a little ashamed to admit that I dig Gavin DeGraw a bit. Chariot is a really great song.

keaneuk: If you liked the rock singer song ("Honest") most, your best bet would probably be to buy the new one, Putting the Days to Bed. After that, When I Pretend to Fall is probably closer in style to that one. But, you'll be hooked and have to get the others, too: Ultimatum EP and The Worst You Can Do is Harm.

Welcome! We like John around here, too. And I think Michael Stipe has an awesome voice, so it's a fine comparison in my book.

GMM

Postby GMM » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:26 am

Yeah, I love REM too but I don't really think JRod sounds like Stipe.

Still! It is excellent that people are discovering him via this tour.

I'd still kill for a full band UK show of course ¬_¬

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:54 am

A fair number of Long Winters reviews mention Michael Stipe. Although I'm not sure I would have thought fo it myself, I can see where it comes from.
zach wrote:But, you'll be hooked and have to get the others, too: Ultimatum EP and The Worst You Can Do is Harm.

I agree about the hooked part, but ah, there's a catch. The European version of Putting The Days to Bed actually features the four studio songs from the Ultimatum ep as bonus tracks. But if Neil liked the solo set, he might want to hear the two acoustic songs on the ep as well, which are not included as bonus tracks. Anyway, for now I think starting with Putting the Days to Bed is not a bad idea. But if you're not sure yet and you have a fast enough connection, I would suggest you download the mp3s available from the different albums on the Long Winters site, or listen to the songs on myspace and that could give you some idea what the older albums are like.

Glad you liked John's performances!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:14 am

But if you're not sure yet and you have a fast enough connection

Or, of course, listen to other live Long Winters sets from the last two tours, including at least one solo/acoustic set by John, at The Long Winters Music Site.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”