Euro tour, cont'd.

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Euro tour, cont'd.

Postby Moni » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:15 am

I got to the cozy venue in Hamburg full of cat hair and drained from a neat little little rain shower (which was, let's face it, neither neat nor little). Very small venue, packed, nice people all around (because Hamburg rocks). Now trying to decipher my handwriting from yesterday night:

Shapes
Teaspoon
Carparts
Cinnamon
Stupid
Hindsight
Fire Island
Delicate Hands
Blue Diamonds
Ultimatum ("soft" version)
Clouds
It'll be a Breeze
Seven
Rich Wife
Prom Night
Departure
Sky Is Open (acoustic!)
Nora

In the beginning John asked for requests until finally someone requested a song "we can really play as a first song" (Breeze = too much of a downer, Prom Night = requires different tuning etc etc)

Many requests, many tunings. It was awesome, fun and all hot and sweaty (no more cat hair). Went home to friend's apt. quite late, to a bed with a big red cat at my feet. Again more cat hair.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:55 pm

my goodness, Sky is Open?? Was that the live debut?
Surely that was your reward for being soaked earlier. Kinda appropriate don't you think?

When people shouted out requests in Utrecht, John said that "Mimi makes us sad, and Nora makes us mad" and they didn't play either. I shouted out Hindsight more than once; glad to see it got played, even if it was with a 24h delay.

John said they relearned to play Prom night in Philadelphia and have been playing it a lot since. He was telling this as he was tuning for a different song, and didn't say the title, so it was kind of a mystery until they played it later. It sure has been showing up a lot lately.
Right, switching out of setlist nerd mode.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:48 pm

Liesbeth wrote:When people shouted out requests in Utrecht, John said that "Mimi makes us sad, and Nora makes us mad" and they didn't play either. I shouted out Hindsight more than once; glad to see it got played, even if it was with a 24h delay.

Yeah, Toronto was the second time Prom Night was played, I believe. Someone in the audience was being very adamant about hearing it. I paid John $10 to play Mimi. It's all in the bling. I thought Nora was a staple on this tour ... too bad you missed it, it sounds great.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:16 pm

I warned John that he had to play a long long set in Amsterdam, there's some chances yet. I'm not paying him to get a song played though. I'm a goofy fan, but that's where I draw the line.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:46 pm

Ten bucks was not enough for any merchandise I didn't already have. I have no problem handing the Long Winters an extra ten bucks, if I don't need it for food or shelter. If I can con an extra song along with you, you know I'm gonna try.

Moni

Postby Moni » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:12 am

Obligatory merch picture:

Apparently every merch purchase that's € 10,- or more now comes with a complimentary lime!

Liesbeth wrote:my goodness, Sky is Open?? Was that the live debut?

Yes ma'am. John said they might learn the song on the ongoing tour, because it seems to be fairly popular in Europe (I knew I couldn't be the only one who loves that song).
And before I forget, Clouds is just beautiful live.

Squid

Postby Squid » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:05 am

People in Europe are getting free limes??

I think my feelings are hurt. I didn't even get an extra maraschino cherry in my manhattan...

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:44 pm

right, Amsterdam. Not much I can say about it, I just came back, having been dropped off by quite possibly the nicest guys in rock music. Except for where they were joking about Chan Marshall of Cat Power probably biting off birds' heads in her big hotel room. I think some jealousy might have been part of it, the guys are driving to Belgium as I type.

I will give you this at 5.30 am though: the two hour show setlist. Pretty much the only song that was on my top wishlist (except for Blanket Hog, which I have accepted is not likely to be played anymore) and wasn't played was Sky is Open. After the show John said he didn't think it went really well in Hamburg, and he didn't mention anything about going to rehearse it, but maybe that's a secret. I didn't hear it requested here (except for me, I had to try of course, only to yield a sly smile and a forbidding shake of the head). Everyone has been dying to hear Mimi here, it's a Dutch fave, it seems. Someone requested Copernicus and John said it was a great suggestion, but they really don't know how to play it anymore.

Fire Island AK
Teaspoon
["hardcore version of Shapes"]
Shapes
[one-second blues, cut off by John when it lasted more than one second]
Hindsight
Honest
Scent of Lime
Delicate hands (John piano)
Blue diamonds (John piano)
Carparts
Cinnamon
Scared straight
Pushover
Sound of coming down
[jazzy blues jam]
Stupid
Rich wife
Departure
-- so called encores for which they didn't actually leave
Breeze (John solo acoustic, with Eric backing vox)
Mimi (John acoustic, w/Eric backings and bass)
Clouds
Seven
Commander (J. piano)
Nora (J. piano)
'hard' Ultimatum (rock won the vote)
Med Cab!

I could put exclamation points after half the songs on this setlist but I will get some sleep instead. Photos later if any came out okay.

What Pancakes Do

Postby What Pancakes Do » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:56 am

Wow! What a show!! I'm jealous.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:02 am

Moni

Postby Moni » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:29 am

Liesbeth wrote:Sky is Open. After the show John said he didn't think it went really well in Hamburg, and he didn't mention anything about going to rehearse it, but maybe that's a secret.

I was still very happy to hear it.
Aw come one pleease! That song would be totally worth a try!

People in Europe are getting free limes??

I hope they'll have kumquats for their next german shows.

Meritaten

Postby Meritaten » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:34 pm

Set list for the show in Wiesbaden, Germany, Nov 2nd: (I’m writing this from memory almost a week later, I’m not entirely sure anymore about the order of songs in the lower half).

Teaspoon
Pushover
Hindsight
Honest
Ultimatum (rock)
Honest
Rich Wife
The Commander thinks aloud
Delicate hands
Blue Diamonds
Fire Island
It’ll be a breeze
Seven
Unsalted Butter
Cinnamon
Shapes
It’s a departure
Scared straight
Pushover (2nd time)

They played for 2 hours. It was an excellent show, they really rocked, good sound and John was very funny, I thought (“Guitarists are simply effects pedal collectors”).
Almost all songs were requests, with Pushover being played twice, there was a couple who came in late and they pleaded with John, who (eventually) agreed.
The only downside: very small crowd, only about 30 or so. It didn’t bother me, I had a great time and there was plenty of space to dance, but it must be frustrating for the band to put so much effort into it (which they all did) for so little turnout.

Oh, and no limes, kumquats, oranges or lychees.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:17 pm

wow, that's interesting, a song being played twice. I've heard people request songs that were already played and they got to hear about it, for sure.
Jonathan mentioned that the turnout was low on some of the German shows, but they had fun doing them.

junker347

Postby junker347 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:08 am

why is nobody making a fuss about hardcore shapes?? has this happened before or was it just a little snippet?

p.s. love from españa, despite the lack of ldub love

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:48 am

don't worry, it was just a bunch of noise which John then dubbed hardcore shapes because that was on next. It was definitely not Shapes played at double speed

Moni

Postby Moni » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:59 am

Munich:
Wow. We got rocked.
More later.

magear

Postby magear » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:31 pm

Just got home after a six-hour train ride from Munich, where I spent a wonderful time with TLW. They kicked it off with "Carparts", one of the songs I've had in my head they whole week and finished the set with "It's a Departure". They completely rocked. I'll never forget the feeling of relaxed happiness I felt for the second part of the show. And there were smiles on many faces in the Orangehouse which is a nice venue. The setlist that was produced by requests turned out very fine. Each and every song they played sounded great. "Cinnamon" was incredible, very clear-sounding and poppy.

Moni

Postby Moni » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:27 am

Aah you were there, too! I think we met in Langenau two years ago, didn't we. Too bad I didn't recognize you, I have a terrible memory for faces....

Munich was definitely the best TLW show I have ever seen so far. The audience was just awesome--the guy plyaing air guitar to Prom Night alone was a priceless sight.

Vienna was lovely, too, but the audience was one of the weirdest I have ever experienced in this city. And that's not necessarily a compliment, unfortunately. However, I was surpised and pleased to see that so many people stayed until the end at around 1 a.m. (last trams and u-trains leave at 12.30). Plus, the showed the Austrian TV program on big screens and it happened to be Monty Python. Awesome. During the show they kept screening the two LW videos.

EDIT: Munich setlist. First 4 and last 5 are in order, the rest... not so.

Carparts
Teaspoon
Fire Island
Hindsight
Pushover
Scared Straight
Cinnamon
Delicate Hands
Blue Diamonds
Commander
Breeze ("a Ken Stringfellow cover")
Ultimatum (soft)
Shapes
Honest
Hot for teacher
Stupid
New Girl
Departure
Clouds
Nora
Rich Wife
Prom Night

Many many interludes, from silly to sexy, and one of the "there are no wrong notes in jazz"-kind.

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:39 am

Seeing that Hot for Teacher was played at this show is really all I need to know about how awesome it was...

Squid

Postby Squid » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:39 pm

wait, WHAT?

did they really play it, though? or did they just tease you? this is patently unfair. they actually played this song? I'm in cranky, post-deadline sleep deprivation mode, so consider carefully before answering this question. After all, I'm still pissed off about the citrus fruits...van halen covers will send me into (yet another) fit of cthulu-type pique.

captain jack, you've got a lot of splaining to do.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”