Euro tour, cont'd.

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:36 pm

I've seen them play Runnin With the Devil live... complete with a drunk from the crowd on backup vocals.

No, it wasn't me.

zach

Postby zach » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:26 pm

No You Are wrote:...it wasn't me.

Yeah, that's what Shaggy said, too.

CarstenWohlfeld

Postby CarstenWohlfeld » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:30 pm

Bielefeld, Germany - 21 November 2006 - setlist

strange audience. about 50 sould all in all, standing at the back of the room, mostly dead silent. yet nobody left early and they made the band play for two hours. weirdos! more later!

Carparts
Teaspoon
Fire Island AK
Honest
Stupid (my request)
Seven
Cliuds
Delicate Hands (John on piano)
Blue Diamonds (John on piano)
Commander (John on piano)
Cinnamon (audience request)
Scared Straight
Hindsight (Eric's request :-))
Pushover
Rich Wife (my request)
Departure
(if we would do encores we'd leave now cigarettes break)
It'll Be A Breeze (John & Eric only)
New Girl (my request)
Hater High

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:15 pm

Have I mentioned how awesome it is Delicate Hands is getting love? It's such a beautiful song, and being as it's stuck on an EP -- you can never be sure if those songs will ever get played, or relegated to B-side obscurity. So kudos to the boys for making it a regular this go around.

Also, that's a fairly solid set list. I've seen some pretty weird LW audiences myself -- from virtually empty to complete indifference to polite nonchalance to downright rowdy. But that keeps it interesting, I guess.

I don't want these guys to ever stop touring. Seriously. Ever.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:26 am

it might help that the ep-tracks are bonus tracks here in europe, john usually mentions that when announcing delicate hands or the commander.

CarstenWohlfeld

Postby CarstenWohlfeld » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:47 am

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:15 am

Liesbeth wrote:it might help that the ep-tracks are bonus tracks here in europe, john usually mentions that when announcing delicate hands or the commander.
True say. I keep forgetting about that. Still, it was played pretty frequently in the North America tour, too. Which was awesome.

And nice pics CW!

CarstenWohlfeld

Postby CarstenWohlfeld » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:41 am

my take on the bielefeld show (in german, sorry).

http://www.gaesteliste.de/konzerte/show.html?_nr=1399

might post something english soon, but don't hold your breath.

Moni

Postby Moni » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:08 am

I'm glad you liked it so much, tho that sounds like a scary audience.

But still, Sweet Home Alabama - totally approved.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:04 am

Last show of the tour in Antwerpen yesterday. There was a Swedish heavy metal band playing next door, which drew a largely black-cled crowd - I wondered for a brief moment if they all came for the Long Winters. In fact, the venue was far from sold out, but the crowd seemed to be into it.

For a band with serious sleep deprivation (their booker: "c'mon, you had days off", John: "yeah, to drive from Brussels to Copenhagen, or from Oslo to Berlin") they did a great show. John literally was asleep on one of the nice big orange lounge couches until one minute before the show and had a little trouble adjusting to being on stage for a bit, but then the banter machine went full steam. So in between songs a range of topics was discussed, from the Japanese release of Ultimatum ep on carved rocks which make a sound when you throw them in the water and that is the music ("that didn't sell too well"), a nasty comparison of Eric to Idi Amin, John's ideas of becoming a politician ("I have great experience in galvanizing European audiences, and I think that would be a useful skill for an American politician these days"), to starting an American version of the Dutch Party for the Animals [yes, they got two seats in parliament last week, no, I didn't vote for them, but seeing how there are more pigs than people in our country, which for a good part live in small, stacked-up cages to save room, I can see why people would support them] and superfluously explaining how Americans use the word super all of the time.

Can safely say now that my LW addiction is stronger than my recurring cold. I was high on painkillers, low on conversation. The songs kinda came through a haze, but they came through anyway. Good thing that the venue was smoke-free, that sure made it more bearable.

They didn't play very long, on account of Danielson playing second. John even went to ask them if the Long Winters could play one more song after their allotted time - after which he explained that it was okay, because Danielson were still in the bath and it would take them some time to towel off, something that invoked an audible giggle from Daniel Smith backstage.

All request show, John being very democratic in honouring them in the right order. After John made it clear that there would be no Stairway to Heaven, someone yelled Like a Virgin, and John even turned to Eric to see if he felt like giving it a go (Eric mouthing No fxxxing way was a clear enough answer).

Funk jam (inspired by the house music)
Intro to 'Walk this way'

It'll be a breeze
Teaspoon
Shapes
Blue Diamonds
Delicate Hands (my request, hope you felt a little warm wave at around 8.30pm GMT, Jason)
Cinnamon
Hard rock Ultimatum (the Belgian audience collectively insisted on the loud version and it got a big applause afterwards)
Carparts
Fire Island, AK
Pushover
Jam while John went to ask Danielson if they could play another song
Commander

Well, there will be no time to start missing these guys, as they'll be back early next year. Heros!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:09 am

THAT'S what that was! <3

Return to “Give Me a Moment”