The Shelter: We Love Banter

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Damien_82

The Shelter: We Love Banter

Post by Damien_82 »

The show was great. Meeting Sean was great. Unfortunately we missed John, but I'm sure he's cool too (and a good person by association). Be careful amongst the goose-stepping canadians.
call me stupid

Re: The Shelter: We Love Banter

Post by call me stupid »

Damien_82 wrote:The show was great. Meeting Sean was great. Unfortunately we missed John, but I'm sure he's cool too (and a good person by association). Be careful amongst the goose-stepping canadians.

Does anyone else have any good "bantering" stories from past Long Winter's shows???
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Re: The Shelter: We Love Banter

Post by Unremarkable »

call me stupid wrote:Does anyone else have any good "bantering" stories from past Long Winter's shows???

Glad you asked!!!

@ snoqualmie pass

Sean: How's everything sound out there? Does it sound EXTREME?!?!
John: Yeah!
Sean:'Cause we don't know how to do shit that isn't EXTREME!
---------------------

Sean: Ya know, when they asked us if we wanted to play a show with the Presidents of the United States of America, we only had one question--two questions: 'What time? And at the foot of what ski slope?' The answer was, like, three o'clock, and Snoqualmie Pass...So we said 'Yeah!!! INDEED!...INDEED'...(John gives him an odd look) I'm trying to be extreme...for the folks.
John: You're doing a great job.
Sean: Thanks!
----------------------

Sean: Can you believe that?
John: The old level setting eh?
Sean: I blame myself, and public, and private different matters...is this mike on?!? Jesus!
John: Entertain the crowd with more of your witty banter.
Sean: Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh...Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...Oh God!
-----------------------

John: All right, thanks very much everybody for standing here, thank you sir for standing there (points at me) and thank you sir for standing directly behind him. You're obviously a fan of live music, I appreciate that. You guys (points way back out), I'd give you credit, but you've got a picnic table there, and that's...To be true rock music fans, you have to be down here. (they say something back) No...
Sean: Are you true rock music fans?
John: They're probably ski patroll.
Sean: Look, we didn't come here to berate the skiers.
John: They're going to pull my pass. (pause) You can't pull my pass, HA! That's right, I'm skiing out of bounds, thats a metaphorical skiing out of bounds.
Sean: And a literal.
John: Well, hit it fella's.
---------------------------

More to come...
call me stupid

Post by call me stupid »

keep 'em coming!
realneal

Post by realneal »

I won't try to paraphrase him, but at the record release shows in Seattle Sean kept talking about putting the "emo" back in "Fremont".
Unremarkable

Post by Unremarkable »

From the WWU show:

Drunk Kids in Front: What's your name?
John: We're The Long Winters.
Drunk Kids in Front: (drunkenly) THE LONG WINTERS!
Sean: What's your name..."Uhhhhh"
Drunk Kids in Front: ROB!
John: The Robs! The Robster!
Sean: I told you Rob would be here.
John: Ok, we're from Seattle, which is a town to the South of here.
Drunk Kids in Front: (screaming) AOOOOOUUUUU!!!
John: Yeah, these guys know, they took a geography course this year. Seattle is on Washington's Puget Sound, it's a beautiful body of water, Bellingham is also on the same body of water.
Drunk Kids in Front: YEAH!
Sean: I think we should have a who can scream the loudest in the front row, between those two contest.
Drunk Kids in Front: (SCREAMING)
Sean: IT"S A TIE! It's a tie. Now go on back to the free pizza place, and claim your prize.
John: I can smell the peach schnapes from here...(crowd laughs)
Sean: Your Dad's going to be pissed.
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

The moral of this story is to be careful what you say around our friend Unremarkable, 'cuz he's always wearing a wire.

Are you getting all of this? Good.
Unremarkable

Post by Unremarkable »

Forrest wrote:The moral of this story is to be careful what you say around our friend Unremarkable, 'cuz he's always wearing a wire.

Are you getting all of this? Good.

Yeah, well, I recorded both concerts. Unfortunately, now that my DAT is broken, I might not be recording any more. :(
A Brutaful Smile

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

I liked this one at the S.A.M. show:

During their set John mentioned him and Sean playing at The Sunset. Someone yelled out "where's the Sunset?" Sean said "usually it's on the horizon", and then John said "around here it usually goes into the ocean".
A Brutaful Smile

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

realneal wrote:I won't try to paraphrase him, but at the record release shows in Seattle Sean kept talking about putting the "emo" back in "Fremont".

that one is classic!
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

call me stupid wrote:keep 'em coming!

just wait until he's got the sonic boom shows... tons of stuff on there
huck

Post by huck »

next time they play at the market street sonic boom, they ought to put the "lard" back in ballard.

or else we could just get a krispy kreme.
mildlyrestarted

Post by mildlyrestarted »

Unremarkable wrote:From the WWU show:

Drunk Kids in Front: What's your name?
John: We're The Long Winters.
Drunk Kids in Front: (drunkenly) THE LONG WINTERS!
Sean: What's your name..."Uhhhhh"
Drunk Kids in Front: ROB!
John: The Robs! The Robster!
Sean: I told you Rob would be here.
John: Ok, we're from Seattle, which is a town to the South of here.
Drunk Kids in Front: (screaming) AOOOOOUUUUU!!!
John: Yeah, these guys know, they took a geography course this year. Seattle is on Washington's Puget Sound, it's a beautiful body of water, Bellingham is also on the same body of water.
Drunk Kids in Front: YEAH!
Sean: I think we should have a who can scream the loudest in the front row, between those two contest.
Drunk Kids in Front: (SCREAMING)
Sean: IT"S A TIE! It's a tie. Now go on back to the free pizza place, and claim your prize.
John: I can smell the peach schnapes from here...(crowd laughs)
Sean: Your Dad's going to be pissed.

oh man, that was way funny. i'm assuming you don't have that engraved in your brain, and that you recorded that show. you should share with me!
stephanie

the ascot room : mpls, mn : 5/25/03

Post by stephanie »

John: Sean, what's the difference between a simile and a metaphor?
Sean: A simile hangs from the roof of the cave.
(me: Awwwwww.)
Cynical_Satan
Current Heading: North

Post by Cynical_Satan »

From the Black Cat in Washington D.C:

John: Hello, we're the Long Winters, we're from that other Washington, the one without these crazy politicians. And, yea, we've been trying to work on our banter between songs. It seems we've become known to alienate our fans.
(Pause, crowd fairly silent)
Sean:Yea, so fuck you!
Girl in crowd:No, fuck you!
John:Watch out now! It's one of those Bush girls in the audience.
NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Post by NatureBoy »

I'm bumping this thread, because surely we can add more to it now...
kathryn

Post by kathryn »

while not precisely long winters banter, the "super pop and gay/super marvin gaye" exchange will always hold a special place in my heart.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

one of my favourites is from the KEXP radio broadcast from NY, with John announcing Sean's tour journal for Spin, the magazine for dryer manufacturers

That and the Austerlitz banter, where John found out that although it was named after the place where Napoleon won a battle, this place never saw any fighting action. Best part was that Eric stepping in, suggesting that Austerlitz was called that because that's where they ousted Litz. It wasn't just what he said, but also that he said it at all.
Squid

Post by Squid »

There's always this incident from March 7, 2001:

"This Busy Monster were all good musicians, but their lead singer didn't seem to be enjoying himself that much, and it really affected their stage presence. Theirs is a freeform mix of genres that requires an attentive crowd, and this audience wasn't it. Luckily, they were joined by a mystery guest who changed the mood completely. There were idiots yelling for Death Cab, and he responded, "We're guests in your town and you're being rude. Just for that, I'm going to play one of my songs, and it's very long and extremely obtuse. AND I'm only going to partially tune. That's good enough for you." It was a scathing delivery that gave him instant indie cred with the crowd. He then went on to blow everyone out of the water by doing a fantastic song, "Medicine Cabinet Pirate". Who the hell is this guy? Turns out his name is John Roderick, formerly of a band called Western State Hurricanes, and he's going to be doing an album produced by DCFC's Chris Walla. This guy was seriously great. Quoth Mike, "where the hell was HE during the rest of the set?" "

(ps: and lest anyone think my description of TBM unkind, I shall defend my review by explaining that the crowd at the Bottom of the Hill that night was mostly comprised of rabid San Franciscan DCFC fans who weren't really interested in the whole "label showcase" concept. Thus, an unhappy lead singer who wasn't enjoying himself much. phew! nothing like deconstructing shit you wrote three years ago...)
Dragonbait

Post by Dragonbait »

At the El Rey, in LA. Some time in June...

Some guy in the audience: I WANT TO HAVE YOUR BABY!!
John: Well, now, I can think of a few reasons why you couldn't have my baby. We'll actually be handing out applications later on. Applicants must be female, eighteen or older..
*Laughter*
John: That doesn't mean we can't be good friends though.
*Eric gives him a strange look and conspicuously steps away*
John: Not you!