hola, hello, hallo, heda! Europe

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:01 pm

hit on their cheese, it's their weak spot

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:39 am

There's just too much of it!!

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:49 am

Liesbeth wrote:
And, you got Scent of Lime twice, that is awesimilitude deluxe.

I... did?..... (I checked my setlist-post twice and didn't see it twice.. yer not drunk by any chance, are you? :P )

Betty I didn't think you were being stupid. It's not like Liechtenstein is so world famous.

Oh and I saw the best/worst wal spray painting ever in Graz:
"Finding emo." Aah Styrians.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:12 am

oh dear, I only see Scent of Lime once now, yes. I'm slipping, but I guess I can put this one down to wishful thinking. Glad you got to see it in Graz though, that's quite an emo song, ain't it?

And bienvenido to frontrow: so glad you had a good time in Huesca, and great that you posted even after you had to wait a while to be registered.

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:39 am

We arrived in Liechtenstein shortly after the Swiss invasion. The streets were calm and quiet. No troops were visible, despite the paramilitary incursion, and order was maintained. The proud and noble Liechtensteinians repelled the invaders with their sophisticated anti-Swiss defense system: a solitary raised eyebrow. The only sign of heightened military readiness was at the Austrian border, the guards winking and schnerkling their mustaches with greater than usual aplomb at the short line of cars fleeing the Principality. Your intrepid Long Winters were able to perform a sweep of the entire nation and return unscathed to the EU, with only a full tank of Liechtensteinian Diesel and a raised-foam, mesh-backed trucker's cap secreted away in our van.

Reporting from Innsbruck, I'm John Roderick.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:18 pm

A Journalist Remembers Mao Zedong Before His Ultimate Victory
In early February 1946, Mao invited me, a newly minted Associated Press correspondent, to eat with him at his modest lodgings in Yan'an, his encircled and barricaded cave capital next to the Gobi desert.
(...)
EDITOR'S NOTE _ John Roderick was an Associated Press foreign correspondent for 39 years, dividing his time almost evenly between covering China and Japan.

I come across this second life regularly on my search for Library material. John looks amazing for his age, don't you think?

Squid

Postby Squid » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:25 pm

It's not easy being an Immortal. We can only hope that he continues to win each confrontation with the other Immortals until he is granted The Prize.

Moni

Postby Moni » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:37 am

John wrote:Your intrepid Long Winters were able to perform a sweep of the entire nation and return unscathed to the EU, with [ . . . ] a raised-foam, mesh-backed trucker's cap secreted away in our van.

Quite a daring undertaking if you consider that the Swiss take an issue with people with hats!

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:30 pm

Liechtenstein AND Mao?

Worlds are colliding!

finalni

review of Long Winters @Pauk, Zagreb, 2nd March 2007

Postby finalni » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:28 pm

I was a bit disappointed by their performance in Zagreb. I just felt it could've sounded better (Fire Island, AK was used as soundcheck, that one and Honest disappointed me the most since those are really great album songs). It looked as if they didn't soundcheck before at all, just for a few minutes in front of us.
They played for an hour and few minutes, and so did ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead (maybe 80 minutes, they did a great job:), but they usually play for that long, unlike Long Winters who sometimes play for almost two hours.

They didn't play any of the songs from first album, but they played all songs from other two albums I wanted to hear (except Nora :( ), so, setlist was great for me :), played a lot of requests (Cinnamon was from a friend of mine, that was really nice), ended with (It's a) Departure, which was a great song to end the show, I really liked this one live. Except that one, I liked Cinnamon, Teaspoon, Shapes, Scared Straight and New Girl. People were yelling "Shapes" for some time, we were really happy when they played it. :) I requested "Give Me a Moment!", but they didn't play it. There were many people who knew that they play requests so there were a lot of requests.
I don't know why I didn't write this review before, now I'm not sure about setlist (actually, I'm sure the order isn't right :D ):

Fire Island, Ak
Stupid
Sky Is Open
Rich Wife
New Girl
Pushover
Ultimatum
Honest
Teaspoon
Blue Diamonds
Cinnamon
Scared Straight
Shapes
(It's a) Departure

I bought some stickers, got a tour poster and asked Jonathan to sign it, talked with him for a minute. :)

I hope that they will come again since they are a great band, and play on a more appropriate venue for them, that they'll be the main act of the evening, since this time there were many people who knew nothing about Long Winters and just waited for Trail of Dead...

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:39 pm

Yeah, their opening spots are usually much, much shorter than their closing spots. You're lucky you got a whole hour -- the first 4 or 5 times I saw the Long Winters, they didn't play for more than 40 minutes, and a couple of times much less! Looks like a nice set; too bad to hear it was marred by bad sound.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”