hola, hello, hallo, heda! Europe

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

GMM

Postby GMM » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:41 am

Well
They're the only act playing that night (it seems), its says 7pm on the Academy website but I'd guess that's doors open time. And the place closes at 11.30. You do the math! I'm gonna be ther 7 myself but I'd guess they PROBABLY won't start till after 7.30 and will hopefully rock out till curfew time.

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:53 am

Liesbeth wrote:'fun to hear' is not an apt description for Sky is Open live. It was f**king ace, man!

I'd like to take a break from my migraine and ask you to paint me pleased and excited.

And the place closes at 11.30.

11.30? What's wrong with GB?!

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:50 pm

11.30 looks remarkably related to closing time when pub drinking hours were still regulated - no beer, no show, I suppose. I for one think it is very civilised to start shows at a decent hour, but then again, I'm of the working persuasion and like my 8 hours of sleep.

hope you can figure out a way, Mike, surely board meetings can never be as exciting as a Long Winters show. Except on this board, of course. (Oh god, did I really make that joke?)

weird-charlie

Postby weird-charlie » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:21 pm

Hey guys, just got back from the long winters show here in Brussels ...
I'll review it another time but I just wanted to drop a note on how awesome the show was. Again Long winters RULES !!!

fmmjha

setlist brussels

Postby fmmjha » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:45 am

1. clouds
2. scent of lime
3. rich wife (request)
4.shapes (request)
5. the sound of coming down (drummers choice)
6. honest (request)
7. scared straight (request)
8. cinnamon
9. blue diamonds
10. the commander thinks aloud
11. pushover (request)
12. teaspoon
13. seven (request)
14. stairway to heaven (intro)
15. sky is open (request)
16. fire island, ak (request)
17. samaritan
18. stupid (request)
19. it'll be a breeze (request) (only john + eric)
20. carparts (request)
21. feelin' stronger every day (chicago-cover)
22. (it's a) departure

requested but not played : mimi, nora, delicate hands, ultimatum (the acoustic and electric version

After the show, John even excused him personally that he didn't play some of these songs...

as you can see, what a night ....

sour29

Re: setlist brussels

Postby sour29 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:58 am

fmmjha wrote:requested but not played : mimi, nora, delicate hands
Three of my favourites! But they played so many other awesome songs, it's hard for me to shake my fist in anger! I'm so excited to be seeing them for my sixth and seventh times respectively -- March can't come soon enough.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:36 pm

oh, I knew it, now the regret comes of not going to see them again. I mean, Chicago?!? What brought that on?

Thanks for posting this setlist, really nice to see some oldies showing up again, like Samaritan and Scent of Lime. I've been thinking for months that Unsalted Butter is never played anymore, and what a shame that is, and that I should request it sometime. Feel free to do it for me, if you should like to hear it too, just to see it show up on a setlist would be goodness.

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:17 pm

Chicago is awesome. They've been in my 'rotation' for the last month or so.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:17 pm

You can hear me (loudly) requesting Unsalted Butter on the Toronto bootleg (along with many other shouts and WHOOOO's throughout), but it was not played. I do recall it being played on some of the earlier 2006 shows, though. I'm quite sure they know how to play it.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:24 pm

Liesbeth wrote:oh, I knew it, now the regret comes of not going to see them again. I mean, Chicago?!? What brought that on?

Thanks for posting this setlist, really nice to see some oldies showing up again, like Samaritan and Scent of Lime. I've been thinking for months that Unsalted Butter is never played anymore, and what a shame that is, and that I should request it sometime. Feel free to do it for me, if you should like to hear it too, just to see it show up on a setlist would be goodness.

I know! This is gonna be such a problem in the future....to hear all your favorite songs the shows will have to be six hours long.

I mean, you read a set list and already start saying something like, "You know that set didn't include Mimi!" And then you think, "Holy Batman, sometime in the future every set might not have Stupid in it! Or Blue Diamonds! Or It'll Be a Breeze! Or Scared Straight...." And then you realize that you also have to hear Honest live, like immediately, like right NOW.

And then you realize that there is already an entire set full of absolutely indespensible all time super favorites that doesn't leave room for any new songs.

Definately this will be a big problem. How to deal?

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:53 am

Four words: Six Hour Set Lists.

GMM

Postby GMM » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:30 am

Well I am setting off now. I'm the one in the Barsuk hoodie, Harvey Danger t-shirt and hair.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:58 am

GMM wrote:Well I am setting off now. I'm the one in the Barsuk hoodie, Harvey Danger t-shirt and hair.

Harvey Danger Hair?

junker347

Postby junker347 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:24 am

Ok so how long have shows been lasting? (including punctuality of start times) because they are slated to go on at 11, and I would theoretically like to make a 1:30 bus home... granted i'd also like to hang out after and chat a bit, but after 1:30 there's not another bus til 7:30 and spending 6 hours in the dead of night on a tuesday in Madrid isn't my idea of a good time (unless there's an afterparty, eh guys??)

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:56 am

Punctuality of starting times depends pretty much on the venue, I guess. Without a curfew, i'd say they are likely to play at least 1,5 hours, depending on their mood there've been shows up to two hours.

Betty, trust me, as the years go by, it is getting more and more imperative to see at least two or three shows to get that full spread of songs you ache for. Two nights in a row is great, because usually the more unusual songs are not played two nights in a row. My guess is in 10 years time we will all have to become deadheads and collectively follow whole tours, shouting out for obscure songs like Carparts and Teaspoon.

But think of it this way, it is very, very likely the day will never come that Cinnamon is not played anymore - some things can be relied on.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:05 pm

....Carparts is so good live....the harmonies at the beginning just knock me over every time...

I hear what you are saying Liesbeth. Only I live in the midwest for now, and you know what they saw about Indiana: Don't go there on purpose. I guess i'll have to become better acquainted with Wisconsin.

Must be awesome to live in Europe.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:55 am

But Wisconsin's great, just say cheese!
I was just trying to justify my concert average, really. If you like densely populated countries, this part of Europe is great value for money. If you like some open space however...

GMM

Postby GMM » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:54 am

The show last night was absolutely incredible ultra awesome. The guys went on sometime a little after 9 and came off between 11 and 11.30 I think. (The less said about the support band the better. Well ok: 1. Awful laughably bad emo-by-numbers pop-punk idiocy 2. Mildly entertaining but bland indie pop/rock)

There was about 45 people who stayed for their entire set which included (vaguely but not cetainly in order) Fire Island AK, Carparts, Shapes (request), Cinammon (request), Blue Diamonds, Commander Thinks Aloud (my request!!), Sky is Open (unexpectedly fantastic), Stupid, Scent of Lime (my request!!!), Hindsight (request), Rich Wife (my request!!!), at this point John broke his guitar (a whole string came off I think) so he went to the piano and did - Delicate Hands, A hip hop song because Nabil triggered some kind of hip hop sample on his drum pad and John started rapping, and an epic broken-guitar-solo-heavy Nora.

Then I chatted to him and Eric for 5/10 minutes which was amazing. They're very nice people. As is Jonathan Rothman who was running the merch stand before the show (i did not realise it was him at the time) and was asking us about British currency as they'd only just got here. (I got a great t-shirt, a kazoo and a lovely tour poster)

Talked to John about my Harvey Danger t-shirt and touring Europe and Britain and making the next album a totally unlistenable prog record and The Crane Wife and record releases and Barsuk. Talked to Eric about his John Vanderslice t-shirt, Barsuk, Harvey Danger, touring Europe and the UK, moving LWs CDs to the front of the rack wherever I can find them and when they might return to the UK (I think he mentioned May/June or later?)
Eric also mentioned that there might be being some kind of Long Winters + Harvey Danger benefit show (I forget what for, sorry) in Seattle in a month or a few months.

It was incredible, I have a little video of the end of Carparts which I'll try to get online before VDay is out.

Thank you LDubs and fellow LDubs fans, you rocked my face off.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:49 am

they sold the tourposters? how come I didn't realise? Jonathan Rothman, you must squeeze more money out of fans like me, it makes us happy to be completists!

can you say one more thing about the support act, i.e. what it was called?? I'm updating the Library, and if I cannot be complete on my tourposters, I can try to be on inconsequential info like support acts.

GMM

Postby GMM » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:08 am

Liesbeth wrote:they sold the tourposters? how come I didn't realise? Jonathan Rothman, you must squeeze more money out of fans like me, it makes us happy to be completists!

can you say one more thing about the support act, i.e. what it was called?? I'm updating the Library, and if I cannot be complete on my tourposters, I can try to be on inconsequential info like support acts.

I'm happy to say I didn't catch the name of the first terrible support band

The second better ones were...51 Breaks

Return to “Give Me a Moment”