The Gap

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

dear_prudence

The Gap

Post by dear_prudence »

Over the past few months I have heard the Long Winters in Nordstrom (Clouds/Fire Island + music video), and now they are on the Gap cd. Last month it was Pushover and this month it is Cinnamon. Has anyone else heard them in a strange place?
No You Are
Current Heading: North

Post by No You Are »

Best Buy
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Re: The Gap

Post by Liesbeth »

Gap cd??
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

no, but i've heard death cab in macy's and belle & sebastian in nordstrom.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

I heard Calexico in an Urban Outfitters once. And Neko Case in a Starbucks in Japan!

As much as my 90s youth rebels against the idea of "selling out", it's a good thing to hear good music in public spaces. I'm pretty darn happy that people are into Death Cab in the popular sphere. And anyway, there's a huge difference between a pleasent mix while shopping and mutilated lyrics selling something, ne?
Squid

Post by Squid »

Speaking of which, have you heard that wendy's commercial that uses "Blister in the Sun" while the voiceover talks about fresh, juicy flamebroiled burgers? All i can think is "Blister + Burger = Blisterburger". And I mean, no one wants a blisterburger. Do they? Of course not.
bijou

Post by bijou »

the new target commercial with hello, good buy (;-C)
sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by sour29 »

Betty Felon wrote:there's a huge difference between a pleasent mix while shopping and mutilated lyrics selling something, ne?
I prefer the Death Cab I could go and see live for $12-18 over the Death Cab that now costs $45-60. Call me greedy, but I love being able to afford the concerts of bands I enjoy.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

bijou wrote:the new target commercial with hello, good buy (;-C)

I LOVE that commercial. There is something so soothing about it. lol.
zach

Post by zach »

Squid wrote:Speaking of which, have you heard that wendy's commercial that uses "Blister in the Sun" while the voiceover talks about fresh, juicy flamebroiled burgers? All i can think is "Blister + Burger = Blisterburger". And I mean, no one wants a blisterburger. Do they? Of course not.

Yeah. I heard that and let out an audible, "WAH?!?" But nobody around me could sympathise. They were all 15 years old and, decidedly, not into "that kind of music." I kept hoping to hear some adapted lyrics:

"When I'm out walking, I strut my stuff, yeah, I am so hungry..."
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Squid wrote:Speaking of which, have you heard that wendy's commercial that uses "Blister in the Sun" while the voiceover talks about fresh, juicy flamebroiled burgers? All i can think is "Blister + Burger = Blisterburger". And I mean, no one wants a blisterburger. Do they? Of course not.

I haven't heard this commercial but this post is starting to sink in. Squid....that's so gross.
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

I have a feeling I've posted this before, but my weirdest shopping/music experience has to be hearing Diane in a shoeshop. Don't know if you know the song, it's originally by Hüsker Dü, but was a European chart hit in the early 90's version by Therapy?, a band from Northern Ireland. That chart position was unlikely in itself, since it's a song about a girl being raped and murdered - and to hear it in a major chain shoeshop was extremely weird.

Anyway, I hope the Femmes are getting big bucks from Wendy's and I assume they appreciate the irony fully.
A Brutaful Smile

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

In November at the Guess store in Bellevue Square I heard a Long Winters song. And I thought it was a weird coincidence because it started right after we walked in.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

"a movie script ending" was playing when i was in j.crew today. ben gibbard's soothing tenor made me want to buy even more of their clothes than i normally do.
forgettheinternet

Post by forgettheinternet »

I hear a lot of music I like in The Gap and American Eagle. I actually kinda hate both stores but occasionally wander in if I feel like listening to some music I like. It makes me a little sad though cause I know the kids in there have no idea what's playing, they are just so eager to get their sticky fingers onto the mass produced merchandise.
Sally

Post by Sally »

I happen to own a clothing boutique in which I make a point of playing awesome music and no top 40 allowed... Death Cab is treading on thin ice, sadly!
I love when someone comes in and is all like, who is this? what is this cool tune? and I get to educate them on some cool band!
I love the threads on here on what you guys are all listening to, cuz I can find "new to me" music and introduce it in my store, and support my embarrassing CD habit... write offs, baby, write offs!!!
Patr!ck

Post by Patr!ck »

I'm sad at Death Cab.... but unfortunately I've never heard TLW anywhere public. I suppose that should make me sad. : (
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

are you saying Death Cab aren't making good music anymore? coz if it's just a matter of a good band hitting the charts, that in itself is not a reason to not play them anymore, is it? And what about bands that charted in the past - I mean, don't tell me you cannot play Nada Surf or Harvey Danger. I would shop all day with you if you would play either of them.
Sally

Post by Sally »

Liesbeth, well come on down, cuz I do play both Nada Surf and Harvey Danger- and I still play Death Cab, of course- I said they were treading on thin ice... they have not broken through. Nor will they- let's be honest, I do love them.

I mean I don't play like, Christina Aguilara, Justin Timberlake, Nickleback, blah blah etc, etc. You know, Top 40 "type" music. For example, I play Radiohead and I play Bob Dylan and I play Johnny Cash and I play Iggy Pop and I suppose they have all had hit songs, but they are not what I would call typical top 40 fare. Do you see what I'm saying? I try to not sound like all the regular mall-type stores that have dance music thumping away... I like a certain ambiance in my store- plus I'm not in a mall and am fairly anti-mall/big-box.... so interesting music lends itself well to what I'm doing fashion-wise... that is to say I carry clothing that little indie-band people seem to love!
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

good, now that's sorted all I have to do is save up a little money for clothes and a lot for the plane ticket