1 May, clothes shopping day?

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

1 May, clothes shopping day?

Post by Liesbeth »

Top Indie Bands to Perform at Urban Outfitters Locations as Part of Yaris/Urban Outfitters Free Yr Radio Campaign

"After launching a brand partnership to support non-commercial radio at the South by Southwest Music Festival in Austin, TX, Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. (TMS) and Urban Outfitters (URBN) announced some of the 13 bands who will make the upcoming "Free Yr Radio" Tour. "Free Yr Radio" is a series of free, in-store performances by some of the biggest indie music names at Urban Outfitters locations across the country."

"Each performance will be co-presented by a local non-commercial radio station that will benefit from the campaign's fundraising. Participating stations will be able to award one of their listeners with a brand new Toyota Yaris, presented with a check which can be used towards modifications suggested by the station's Free Yr Radio band. Stations will also receive proceeds from a "Free Yr Radio" compilation CD that will be released at the end of the year-long program"

http://www.freeyrradio.com/
Squid

Post by Squid »

pffffffffffft - those Yarismobile free taxis were NOWHERE to be found when we needed them in Austin.

That said, I am intrigued by les Weenters performing next to expensive socks. I only hope that the band remember me as they pilfer small piles of street couture-type accessories in their guitar cases for profitable resale at a later date.

(I like purple socks, Cap'n. Just like Donny Osmond.)
Patr!ck

Post by Patr!ck »

Are the boys stealing us clothes!?
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

though urban outfitters is not without its share of controversies, this is pretty awesome. however, i must know what time they will be playing.
h4ck
Current Heading: East

Post by h4ck »

hmm. ironic that the LW would be supporting an organization like this ($10,000 to rick santorum???) if john is apparently very much unhappy with the republican party.....

im seeing this more as a benefit for the republican party.
sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by sour29 »

I think it's more likely that John is supporting KEXP.
No You Are
Current Heading: North

Post by No You Are »

Actually, john is a closet conservative.

If you play Blanket Hog backwards you can hear him railing against softwood tariffs.
Liesbeth

Re: 1 May, clothes shopping day?

Post by Liesbeth »

Participating stations will be able to award one of their listeners with a brand new Toyota Yaris, presented with a check which can be used towards modifications suggested by the station's Free Yr Radio band.

this sounds so KEXP. Not.
I am curious though what modifications TLW would suggest. I mean, at least they might want to advise a different colour than this boring old grey?
edit: gee, that picture is so big it might look like I'm a Toyota fan. I'm not. I'm one of those people who knows what colour a car is, not the brand.
Flyn

Post by Flyn »

I think that might be a rebranded Volkswagen Killyourself!
h4ck

Post by h4ck »

by bringing people in to the store, and promote your goods, to develop brand recognition, and further sales? i could understand a benefit for KEXP at a more neutral venue, not a clothing store

sour29 wrote:I think it's more likely that John is supporting KEXP.
sour29

Post by sour29 »

The tour, part of the multi-phased "Free Yr Radio" campaign that will channel much-needed funding to participating independent radio stations[...]

Sure, it could have been done at a more neutral place -- but would a more neutral place have the funds to run free concerts AND channel support to independent radio stations? Probably not.
Squid

Post by Squid »

All kidding aside and re: the "corporate interests" issue - these in-stores have been happening for a while, tho the Toyota partnership is a new develelopment. And trust me, bands WAY more punk rock than the el dubs play these things, corporate alliance or no. (There were uberly hip bands playing at the URBN in Austin during sxsw last year.) These days, "corporate" is a relative term. So is "venue".
h4ck

Post by h4ck »

yeah, thats true too.

honestly, i dont give much of a shit. as long as they fucking rock the hell out of the socks and underwear section, thats all i care about.
A Brutaful Smile

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

altho i am not excited about the fact it is on a week day evening, i will try to get in there. i can bring the kid. i think he's concerned about his fan statis. him and i had this conversation before steve and i left for tlw show the other week.

connor: so you're going to the long winters?
me: yea...
connor: do you think...whatshisname....remembers me?
me: john?
connor: yea...
me: i'm sure he does.

it was cute. so i think it's about time to bring him to another show asap.
sour29

Post by sour29 »

I have no idea how John remembers us all, but he always seem to. Roth Vader, too.
pas de nom
Location: Seattle... at the moment, in the middle of France (Montluçon)

Post by pas de nom »

chelsea wrote: i must know what time they will be playing.

John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

It will probably surprise none of you that we don't really do extensive vetting of the entities that invite us to play. For instance: no one knows what Dan in Yakima is REALLY up to behind this whole "optometrist" front? In the case of the Urban Outfitters/Toyota pairing, (I'm guessing you can imagine the facial expression that accompanied my first response to the offer), all someone had to say was, "It's a benefit for KEXP". We would chew finishing nails for KEXP.

At some point, I have to trust that my record company isn't going to suggest that I do promotion for evil companies, and in this instance, although the event does sound a little like it was concocted by a team of "casual friday" publicists drunk on vodka/Red Bulls, the involvement of our favorite radio station is endorsement enough.
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

Can you get them to sell Long Winters shirts, perhaps? I've been wearing my grey birds t-shirt a hell of a lot, it's so comfortable it should be available in any shop! Or at least in the Barsuk shop so I can buy another one for back-up.
Squid

Post by Squid »

While we're at it, I need a reprint of my black script-y logo one. All the non-black stuff is hella rad and all, but not quite dire enough for Princess Cthulu. Cheers.
A Brutaful Smile

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

this may make it so i don't drive into seattle today...

Immigration rally, M's game could mean commute headache

SEATTLE - Transportation experts are warning that Tuesday's afternoon commute may be particularly hard for motorists wanting to go through downtown Seattle.

Hundreds of marchers are expected to take part in a May Day rally downtown as part of a nationwide immigration demonstration.

The march, from 4 to 6 p.m., will begin at Seattle Center, wind its way to the Westlake Center and then return.

Authorities say the demonstration could impact all transit service around Seattle Center, South Lake Union, Belltown and downtown areas. During the march, traffic, including buses, will be blocked at Fourth and Fight avenues between Pine Street and Mercer Street. Traffic will be detoured around the area.

To make matters a bit harder for motorists, a Seattle Mariners game is set to begin at 7:05 p.m. at Safeco Field. That means game traffic is likely to be heavy about the same time as the march from the downtown area south to the Safeco Field area, and around Pioneer Square and the Chinatown International District, and south of the ballfield.