Long Winters converts

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Long Winters converts

Post by sour29 »

My brother has been bugging me for months. He's away at university, and apparently has a song I play all the time stuck in his head, excepting he doesn't know how it goes, what it sounds like, or what the melody is. Basically, it could be any of the 9,000 mp3s on my computer. He came back this weekend, so I put my entire Music drive on a WinAmp playlist and played a short clip of them all until we found what the song was. We only had to go 1074 songs until we found what it was, though: Blue Diamonds. He now wants to listen to When I Pretend to Fall. I'm pretty sure he's about to be hooked. I'm very excited.

I got an ex-girlfriend to really like them. The Long Winters were lucky in that they escaped the large list of songs I can no longer bring myself to listen to because of the negative association, although she accompanied me to a show in 2003 and we listened to them together a few times.

My friend, Julia, who accompanied me on my trip to both shows in Eastern Canada, was a casual fan from my constant shoving it down her throat in university, but got really hooked earlier this year listening to their stuff to prepare for their concert. Now I think she's addicted.

I don't remember if I got Jessica into them, or whether I fueled an existing fire, but I know she loves them too...

Next up, my ex-roommate, Jesse! (I have a lot of friends whose names start with J)
Patr!ck

Post by Patr!ck »

My ex-band mate and good friend Ryan gave me the three albums before the show in Detroit back in September. The only songs I knew at the show were Hindsight, Cinnamon, Teaspoon and Prom Night at Hater High. After the show I listened to the band nonstop, as it was the coolest show I'd ever seen. And my first concert.

Then I made my best friend Kyle listen to them, and he has a liking for them but he listens to too much metal.

Same with my girlfriend, but I think she likes them more.

I got my neighbor to love them, and I'm working on his sister.

Spread the love!
GMM

Post by GMM »

My best friend and my now ex girlfriend were both converted for the purpose of having someone to go to a show with. And they love 'em. To the degree that it restored the ex-gf's faith in live music.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

we got a friend to come to the first Dutch show August 2003 because he had nothing better to do, and on the 2003 Fall tour one of the shows was in his hometown so he went there of his own accord. However, he still only knew one song (Cinnamon), so I had to buy him WIPTF from the merch table. Good investment: he's been to shows on almost every LW tour since, even though they never played in Arnhem again, and now talks people into coming to shows himself, which is pretty good conversion, I think.
cam_rock
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by cam_rock »

I've been pushing my pro-LWs agenda for a long time to people I know, I got a message a couple of months ago from a friend of mine in Seattle going to school:

"dude...i finally got the latest long winters cd. [PTDTB]

i understand now."
kyle_s9

Post by kyle_s9 »

my dad
pas de nom
Location: Seattle... at the moment, in the middle of France (Montluçon)

Post by pas de nom »

my mom, I even brought her to the concert the other night, which she loved.
Once after playing "Cinnamon" for my dad he was whistling it for the rest of the evening.
my sister and a couple friends.
A Brutaful Smile

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

sadly, no one. it seems no one i know has the same taste in music in this respect as i do. except for all you guys of course. :)
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

here I am talking about this friend when my most difficult conversion was my husband. Actually, this friend was a lot easier to convert than Stefan, it took a couple of years and several albums, hell, even live shows didn't do the trick for a long time. It took some solo shows and the new album.

I kinda miss his gentle mocking of my fanhood. Oh, who am I kidding, he still does that, but at least he understands now why seeing more than one show on a tour is such a good idea.