Sessions on West 54th

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Re: Beautiful Noise.

Postby sour29 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:49 pm

Flyn wrote:I think there are three main issues that are unclear in this topic:
1. The show isn't Sessions at West 54th. It's Beautiful Noise.
Ooops. Thanks for the clarification there! :)

dcaley

Postby dcaley » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:16 pm

sour29 wrote:Just got my confirmation, with this note:

Code: Select all

As a reminder, doors open at 7:30, show will start at 8.
All ages show, ID required for licensed area.
No photography, no obvious logos on hats or t-shirts.

so no taking pictures at all? i guess no fan recordings either since its for a tv station.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:21 pm

Code: Select all

Here are the rules for the taping:

-- No small children (too many dangerous obstacles)

-- No cameras or recording devices of any type

-- No obvious brand names or logos on hats or shirts

-- Agreement by entering venue to appear in broadcast / please stay home if you don't want to appear on TV!

Patr!ck

Postby Patr!ck » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:34 pm

I'm driving from Detroit. There's no way to secure tickets. My friend Ryan and I are coming for sure, we don't want to be let out.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:16 pm

Secure tickets by sending that e-mail, silly!

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:48 am

Funny how this is recorded in Canada for a US station, makes me think of 21 Jump Street (yep).
The Long Winters are becoming so hightech that I wonder if they will release their next album on a USB stick or in rebound will go for back to wax rolls.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:14 am

Lots of things are recorded in Canada for US stations. Production north of the border is much, much cheaper. Toronto, Hamilton, Vancouver and Montreal are hotspots -- because they look like the US (sans landmarks, which is what the second unit is for!), but keep the budget way, way down.

Patr!ck

Postby Patr!ck » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:50 am

2 friends and I will fo' sho' be attending!

Patr!ck

Postby Patr!ck » Wed May 02, 2007 11:46 pm

Due to poor planing and being in the financial situation of a college student, I will be backing out at the last minute.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Thu May 03, 2007 5:34 am

:(

Patr!ck

Postby Patr!ck » Thu May 03, 2007 6:33 am

Tell me about it.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri May 04, 2007 6:26 am

Alright, posting this from my buddy's gf computer after a mostly sleepless night on an uncomfortable couch. If I didn't wake up with the setlist right next to me, I'd swear it was a dream. Excellent venue, excellent crowd, excellent show. Fun times all around.

Things were delayed about twenty minutes. My understanding of it is they were recording an interview while all the fans waited in line outside. I'm guessing John's verbose and long-winded answers drew out the interview process. If only Beautiful Noise knew what they were getting themselves into...

We finally get into the venue, expecting it to be -- well, to be a church. And it was, some time ago. But it was renovated into a music hall with a great big stage surrounded by drapes and covered in oriental rugs. All the pews are removed, so there was nice standing room for about 200 people and crew. I'm not sure if 200 people showed up -- last I heard it was 160 people had signed up via e-mail, but I don't think quite that many showed. Still, it looked like a good sized crowd from where I was standing (yup, front and centre!).

The band sounded great. They played probably double the songs I expected. In spite of John's warning at the outset that there would be no comedy between the indie rock songs at this particular show, that lasted all of about two or three songs before he was making his hilarious jokes and observations between every track or two. The crowd, obviously, ate it up. Don't know how much of it will make it to broadcast.

John is now without mustache, and Eric has a new haircut, for those keeping track of such things. Now, onto the meat and potatoes...

Scared Straight
Fire Island, AK
Stupid
Rich Wife
Sky is Open
Clouds
Seven
The Commander Thinks Aloud
Blue Diamonds
Cinnamon
Carparts
Teaspoon
Pushover
New Girl
It's A Departure

Before the show, Nabil said the band would not be able to take requests, seeing as they had to inform the production crew of the setlist before the performance. Not a big surprise. But I believe just before Carparts, someone shouted a request for New Girl. It was more-or-less ignored by the band on stage, until John announced he was skipping a song in the setlist (which I later found out was Honest, in between Carparts and Teaspoon), and added New Girl in right before It's a Departure. A good mix of old and new, and should come across brilliantly on TV.

The band was all out, socializing, being their usual wonderful, jolly and otherwise personable selves after the set. Talked with everyone after the shows for a bit before they took off to eat Dim Sum and Sushi. I heard a rumour that John chipped his tooth on some of the sushi. That's what you get for trusting Canadian Chinese food. Heh.

Anyhow, bonus of the night: J-Roth joined my buddy and I for the midnight screening of Spider-Man 3, where we talked nerdy about Mr. Parker and our respective collections, Rami's increasingly cheesy style, and his plans for a mini vacation in New York with the GF after this last set. All in all, a wonderful time.

Alright, that's about the end of this review. Great time, as always. Thanks to the El Dubs for another fantastic night. Toronto is one lucky city and I am one lucky fan.

Patr!ck

Postby Patr!ck » Fri May 04, 2007 8:00 am

I feel like crying, for serious.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Fri May 04, 2007 11:06 am

Awwww. great review sour! Your night sounds celluloid ready... like a movie sequence of happy young americana...even though it was in canada.

Also, ding dong the mustache is dead! Hallelujah! Thank the Lord!

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Sat May 05, 2007 6:11 am

Betty Felon wrote:Also, ding dong the mustache is dead! Hallelujah! Thank the Lord!

didn't want to be the first to say it, and I couldn't have phrased it so eloquently.

It's the Spiderman part of the review that has me most intrigued (I fully expected the band/show to be nothing but brilliant): a midnight screening of a 2 h 20 m. Part III movie and you stayed awake for all of it? Must be doing something right then.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sat May 05, 2007 6:16 am

I slept in that morning, knowing full well I'd be up until all hours of the night. And I'm a film studies graduate. I had to stay awake for movies at the weirdest hours of the day (I mean, really -- who watches silent movies at 8:30am on a Monday?), so I've been well-trained.

kyle_s9

Postby kyle_s9 » Mon May 07, 2007 7:33 am

damn, it sounded really good...
really disapointed i missed it, but than not cause the Ben Gibbard shows were incredible.

cam_rock

Postby cam_rock » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:50 pm

My cousin told me he saw a commercial for this episode, and that it will be aired next Friday (check your local listings, for sure). He also said it sounded and looked great.

EDIT: Looks like it's being aired all weekend with the debut being Friday night at 9 EST on Rave HD.

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:54 pm

Tivo's not showing me any love right mow...
I'm not seeing it...

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:52 pm

If anyone can get this on DVD, I will Paypal you $30.

edit: Let me know if you can... if not, I'll pursue other sources...

Return to “Give Me a Moment”