Is this real?

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Is this real?

Postby sour29 » Mon May 28, 2007 9:02 am

Rich Wife [single]

Things that make me think it may not be:
- Listed as being on the MUNCH label, as opposed to MUNICH.
- Not listed as a release on the MUNICHRECORDS website.

Things that make me think it might:
- Art work consistent with PTDTB
- Catalog # consistent looking with Munich's releases.
- I want it to be real.

I totally want to buy it to find out, but it'll end up costing me over $30. I don't want to pay $30 for a bootleg of two songs I already legally own twice.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Mon May 28, 2007 9:48 am

never seen a single listed or promoted here.
could be a promo cd from Munich, although I do'n't know if that would have a catalog number

this e-bay item could well be coming from this webstore which has the same misspelling of MUNCH.

littel websearch reveals Teaspoon, MRCDS859, no photo and no information whatsoever.

or, if you want to spend even more money, why not get this the Fire Island radio edit, surely a must-have for whoever cares about completism. Not me, surprisingly.

Patr!ck

Postby Patr!ck » Mon May 28, 2007 1:55 pm

I'd have to say fake on this one...

GMM

Postby GMM » Thu May 31, 2007 1:38 am

Yeah, looks fake to me.

junker347

Postby junker347 » Thu May 31, 2007 9:21 pm

i'm a little bit more confused as to why there is a "radio edit" (3:37) which is indeed only 5 seconds shorter than the original (3:42). i mean, i know everyone hates silence on the radio (read: not "Radio Silence"), but that's just overkill.

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Thu May 31, 2007 10:24 pm

Radio edits are often not cut for time, but instead have a different mix. Stronger drums, or clearer vocals, or whatever.

Mike McCusker

Postby Mike McCusker » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:57 pm

This is real and I own one.

Also there is a Teaspoon single on Munich too.

Moni

Postby Moni » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:57 pm

Mike McCusker wrote:This is real and I own one.

Also there is a Teaspoon single on Munich too.

Interesting. Do they have any B-sides?

Which brings me to another question:
Would it be possible to make the non-album tracks from the Ultimatum vinyl available online? In other words, would it be okay with John/the band if that happened? I certainly wouldn't mind paying for those tracks.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:53 am

Moni wrote:Which brings me to another question:
Would it be possible to make the non-album tracks from the Ultimatum vinyl available online? In other words, would it be okay with John/the band if that happened? I certainly wouldn't mind paying for those tracks.

I think that I could do this, theoretically, though I don't know if it's ok with the band.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:15 pm

I have already ripped them at 192vbr and FLAC, but have been asked to keep them under my hat for the time being. I think John is mulling over alternate methods of distribution...

It's just as well. Listening back again, there's some pops and clicks. My vinyl came with a light scratch on it. Boo.

Edit: Post 1500. Man, wish I could've made something of it...

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:23 pm

Sour, that was a fine post 1500.

I want those alternate versions to be available to y'all, but I don't want to cheapen the "exclusive bonus tracks" nature of the vinyl. What would you guys like to have happen? If board members want the tracks and Sour or Unremarkable can make it happen I wouldn't object, but I wouldn't want them disseminated widely (eg, outside of the confines of board regulars). They weren't on our official releases for reasons of their own, but we might one day release a digital EP with the bonus tracks included. [/i]

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:40 am

Well, I obviously wouldn't post them up on TorrentSpy or Demonoid ... but the nature of the MP3 is that there's no real way to ensure they wouldn't be disseminated. Other than, of course, trust in our fellow boardmates that they would respect your very reasonable wishes.

Again, I'd love to see what people say they'd like to have happen. I have made a couple of suggestions that I will copy and paste here, just to throw them into the hat.

1) Make my not-perfect-anyhow MP3s available to those who can prove they already have the album -- maybe by sending a photo of them holding the vinyl. Or, if they don't want their face seen, a picture of the vinyl with their screen name on a piece of paper. That way, those who HAVE the rights to copy the songs, but not necessarily the means, can still listen to the tracks without a record player on hand all the time.

2) iTunes still would also be a great idea, and net the band sales of people who didn't pick up the vinyl because either a) they didn't go to the shows, b) they didn't know about the vinyls, or c) they didn't bother spending the money since they knew they had no way of playing them. This option may be kicked out the window now that I've read John's last post -- especially since this has potential to occur down the road. Maybe the majority of the board members would rather wait for an official, non-vinyl rip copy?

3) We host it on HaterHigh.com (or here, Dorsiafilms, or the Long Winters Library ... whoever wants to handle the bandwidth) at a hidden link that would be sent to you once you donated a dollar or two to the band via PayPal or something.

Now, those are just three ideas I have already thrown out into the wind at one point or another. Do you guys have any suggestions? Even just throwing a link up in the Treehouse, perhaps? That way, in theory, only board regulars would come across it...

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:00 am

I'm all for hosting the files at some secret location, in return for which the lucky punters give a working e-mail address. At which, with some increasingly regular regularity, I will then nudge the downloader to buy the vinyl - for a more fulfilled life!! You don't even need to be able to play vinyl to cherish it. It will enhance your life. It will be better than a penis extension (I think) and most definitely less expansive, ahem expensive (this was a genuine misspelling, mind).

sour29 wrote:I have already ripped them at 192vbr and FLAC, but have been asked to keep them under my hat for the time being. I think John is mulling over alternate methods of distribution...

It's just as well. Listening back again, there's some pops and clicks. My vinyl came with a light scratch on it. Boo.

Excellent, leave the pops and clicks that way, this is vinyl. It shouldn't be flawless, as much as you might want it to be, Sour ;-)

Anyways, I think people oughta do a little bit more than surf to the Treehouse and click on a link.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:08 am

Thanks, that was one of the funniest LOL moments on this board, Lies'. :D

Liesbeth wrote:Excellent, leave the pops and clicks that way, this is vinyl. It shouldn't be flawless, as much as you might want it to be, Sour ;-)
I did leave the pops and clicks in my copies, because you're right -- I like them like that. Just not fair to assume everyone would. But, for those people, John will theoretically be releasing an all-digital copy with said future possible EP. Yay.

Moni

Postby Moni » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:33 am

Hey thanks for the replies :)

I agree with Liesbeth that the link should not be posted on the board, even in the Treehouse people who have never posted but have a active account could see it; and you cannot assume that everybody will keep this to themselves and not make it available anywhere... I think you can trust that boardies who want to hear these tracks will eventually find the person who has them available, or other way round.
And yea, clicks and pops are fine. And I guess if those tracks are going to be released in some commercial form some time, they should only be offered as mp3s for now (as much as I'd love to have flacs myself!).
A paypal account for donations sounds like a good idea to me, too.

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:25 pm

I've been wondering whether to start a "fan club" type of group, for special stuff like this. We're working hard on a website redesign, and the new record is going to be pretty neat sounding, so it seems like maybe we should consider enshrining the active members of the board community into some kind of "super treehouse". Thoughts?

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:20 pm

I like the idea of an official "fan club" group, and a super treehouse sounds awesome... but I'm wondering what the qualifications would be? The idea definitely shows promise.

icapants

Postby icapants » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:38 pm

If it comes down to hosting the files and a super secret location, I would be happy to provide some interweb space for it.

Though personally, I like the idea of a "super treehouse".

the new girl

Postby the new girl » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:47 pm

I'd love to hear the extra Ultimatum tracks, but my lack of a turntable is the current impediment. I'd gladly chip in a few bucks via paypal or the like, but would rather not have to physically own the vinyl in order to get the tracks--I have enough stuff cluttering the house that I can't actually use for anything, plus it seems a little wasteful to buy something that you can't use (without buying more stuff and thus continuing the vicious cycle :).

Other brief thoughts:
*Clicks and pops are good.
*A super treehouse sounds good, especially if it means we can have a slide and a firehouse pole to slide down. Although I must admit to having a certain affection for the redneck treehouse:

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:30 pm

That's the one I was thinking of, exactly. I think the membership can be pretty easily defined by the recognizable names around here. I mean, I don't want to punish lurkers, but considering that this band is going on two years since the last record was released and you noble gang of people still check in regularly I'd say we know who the fans are. Even the super-lurkers have to post once in a while. The fair-weather fans don't even have to know there IS a super-treehouse. Up to you.

j

Return to “Give Me a Moment”