Talkin' Guitar Shop with John

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

longhorn1

Talkin' Guitar Shop with John

Postby longhorn1 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:23 am

Having the distinct pleasure to sit in with the LWs over the last few years, I've also had some great but all-too-brief conversations with JR regarding gear. As with most topics, John's opinions on guitars, amps and their history is highly compelling and, of course, his acerbic wit is in full effect when talking on the subject. So I thought I'd do a little Q&A with him for fans that are more dialed into the "sound" might appreciate. Some highlights:

"Maybe this year I'll splurge and get the Explorer before Dave Grohl breaks them all."

"There was never a more perfect picture of a human being than George Harrison in '64 with his brown Gretch Country Gentleman."

"Hendrix played a Strat, but so did Ritchie Blackmore, Yngwie Malmsteen, and Jimmy Ray Vaughn, so the coolness more than evened out."

"Every Microsoft millionaire with ten vintage guitars in a humidity-controlled vault means ten other guitarists who have to save for a year to buy some crappy, second-rate Strat."

http://indierawk.blogspot.com/

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:53 am

Great stuff!

For the film, John took me on a Cribs-style guitar tour through all of his gear, netting about 2 hours of great equipment nerdery, and it's as fascinating as it is entertaining.

Elements of it will be in the doc, but the entire uncut thing will probably find its way onto the DVD as well.

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:35 pm

Nice to know that John loves him some Yamaha acoustic guitars. It's true (at least in my experience) that, although almost uniformly the cheapest, a Yamaha will sound as good, if not better than, it's bigger brand-named cousins.

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:40 pm

good stuff; though that metallic blue Gibson Firebird is a heavy monstrosity.

chelsea

Re: Talkin' Guitar Shop with John

Postby chelsea » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:00 pm

longhorn1 wrote:
"There was never a more perfect picture of a human being than George Harrison in '64 with his brown Gretch Country Gentleman."

i don't know that i've ever heard a statement more true than this one in my entire life.

etreewin

Postby etreewin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:59 pm

longhorn1 wrote:
"Every Microsoft millionaire with ten vintage guitars in a humidity-controlled vault means ten other guitarists who have to save for a year to buy some crappy, second-rate Strat."

His definitely talking about Sean Nelson, right. I thought those two were friends again.....

GMM

Postby GMM » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:30 am

etreewin wrote:
longhorn1 wrote:

His definitely talking about Sean Nelson, right. I thought those two were friends again.....

I'd guess more the musician friends he mentioned once that I don't think were ever in the LDubs and gave up rawking to work at Microsoft and IBM.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”