Down with age-ist venues!

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

realneal

Down with age-ist venues!

Postby realneal » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:57 pm

C'mon you guys. No shows in Seattle til the end of June, and then only at the prepetually 21+ Crocodile? Sorry, I didn't get the "Fuck You" memo for your underaged fans.

I jest. I'll always love you guys (even if I have to do it from just outside the venue), I'm just frustrated with having to deal with a music scene that excludes it's youngest participants.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:13 pm

Yeah, it sucks, it feels like I'm so close, yet so far away. However, they had played a few all-ages shows in the past few months. The way I see it, they are from Seattle, so it's not like I'll never see them again. I can also understand their wanting to do a club-like show, whereas in the past few months they've played (in WA) at places like WWU, Snoquamie Pass, the Seattle Art Museum, and the Sonic Boom stores. All of which I attended. The under-age music scene blows, but it's getting better, with places like the Vera Project, although the Paradox is dead :(.

Forrest

Postby Forrest » Sat Jun 07, 2003 5:37 pm

Sorry, kids. Good news is (at least for those in WA) is once the tours over, you'll probably get plenty more chances to see 'em again.

heather

Postby heather » Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:20 pm

NO shows in Seattle till the end of June?

Oops. On a second read-through of your post, I realized that it is directed at the Long Winters, and not at Seattle in general. Okay. My bad. But if you have some spare time, and want to see a few (or five) awesome shows, here the info:

June 10: Matt Sharp @ Mars Hill Church.. ALL AGES.
June 11: The Dismemberment Plan/Enon @ The Graceland.. ALL AGES.
June 12: The Dismemberment Plan @ The Graceland. 21+
June 13: The Vera Project Prom Benefit thing, featuring the almighty Revolutionary Hydra.. ALL AGES (of course).
June 14: Slo Mo Rabbit Kick/So Many Dynamos @ WWU.. ALL AGES (i'm pretty sure it's all ages).

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:48 pm

We played our cd release show in the form of three all-ages shows in one day, for the love of pete! Actually, we've played more all-ages shows in Washington than 21+ in 2003, and we'll keep on doing it, including Bumbershoot. Y'know Sean and I both play solo shows and duo shows that are all-ages as well.

In short: up your nose with a rubber hose.

And stay off drugs.

Damien_82

Postby Damien_82 » Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:30 am

Thus sayeth King God. ha ha rubber hose. Seriously, don't be a whiner.

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:50 am

Honestly the "no alcohol under age 21"-law is one thing that I don't understand about the US. Do I have a good reason to think so or is just everyone else smarter than me?
You can drive a car at 16, as far as I know possess certain kinds of hand-guns at 18, but you are not allowed to drink till you're 21.
Mind you I think if you're not able to handle alcohol when you're 18, you won't be able to do so when you're 21.
But you get a whole lot of violently drunk college kids like you'll hardly find them in most parts of Europe (at least where they've reasonable laws regarding alcohol consumatio)

realneal

Postby realneal » Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:43 pm

Damien_82 wrote:Seriously, don't be a whiner.

Thanks for the compassion, Damien.

I was at the SAM and Sonic Boom shows, and both blew me away. I can't let them play an age-exclusive show without lodging my formal objection. Or whining. Whatever.

But seriously, isn't a little silly that we apply liquor restrictions to music?

And I'm already giddy about seeing you at Bumbershoot. All is forgiven.

realneal

Postby realneal » Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:45 pm

And how does a young Winters' fan stay up-to-date on solo shows?

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:18 pm

Now that we have this web site I seriously doubt that any Long Winter will so much as drip spaghetti sauce on his shirt without posting some announcement about it, and I say that with the full knowledge that I am really the only one in the band with a propensity for dripping sauce on myself.

The reason rock shows happen in bars is that you would have to be drunk to enjoy most of them. The other reason is that studies prove that if you equate dangerous drugs and public drunkenness with rock music while silmultaneously denying teenagers access you create the coveted trifecta of cool which, when combined with extra virgin olive oil, is both a terrific hair pomade and an excellent source of alternative fuel.

esatnik

Postby esatnik » Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:59 pm

The only good all-ages clubs that Seattle ever had, Velvet Elvis and RKCNDY (and possibly even the Paradox) are long gone. I don't remember seeing any of you snivelling brats there (obviously, or else they might still be in business)

Sorry to all the kids out there, but when bars (Graceland, Crocodile, and Showbox) try to pretend to be all ages venues, it never really works. I like alot of bands that intentionally play all-ages shows and I think it is very noble when bars let the youngsters inside, but the bottom line is that Seattle has no real all-ages clubs. Maybe your complaints should be addressed to the city council message board, not here.

All that I am saying is that punks these days talk a great deal but when it comes down to it you are all pretty lazy. In my day, we had a little something called initiative. For example, if you find an open space in South Seattle accross from the drug rehab place then you've got yourself an all-ages venue. Same goes for arcades, Fire Stations, or any other building with a warehouse space. If you don't charge admission, the fire marshall can't do shit. Stay away from the east side though, fuckin bicycle cops show up every time. In the city, they are too busy beating up drug addicts to worry about a "private party".

Then all you have to do is ask your rich daddies to give you the money to book the band and then you will be set. And, if the band you want is The Long Winters, it shouldn't cost all that much.

Be sure to read my next installment: "Old Gold: Why Seattle Weekly Hipsters should fucking die" to find out what I think about 21+ shows.

realneal

Postby realneal » Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:02 pm

esatnik wrote:The only good all-ages clubs that Seattle ever had, Velvet Elvis and RKCNDY (and possibly even the Paradox) are long gone. I don't remember seeing any of you snivelling brats there (obviously, or else they might still be in business)

C' mon, be kind to us younguns. We're sensitive to digital name-calling.

Actually, Nik, if you check your chronology you'll note that the "sniveling brats" who were of concert-going age back when the Elvis and RCKNDY closed are now all 21+. It was by mere circumstance I managed to visit both before they closed (actually, my first encounter with Sean was at a This Busy Monster show at the Velvet Elvis). And if you review your local history, I think you'll find it was the Teen Dance Ordinance that killed those venues, not poor attendence.

And it was the repealing of the TDO recently that closed the Paradox (Mars Hill decided it wasn't needed any longer to prop up the dying underage music scene in Seattle.)

You have something in the your accusation of laziness. We're a pretty apathetic bunch. But you'll have hard time convinvcing any of the underagers up here who organized and attended weekly punk shows last winter in a freezing shell of a building down at the beach.

Except we're losing that venue at the end of the summer. Such is life.

esatnik

Postby esatnik » Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:31 pm

Hail the Teen Dance Ordinance!

If you lived in some luxurious condo Downtown overlooking the water, you would vote to keep loud drunken hooligans out of your lobby, too. Did anybody else notice that Krist Noveselic is getting shorter and balder as he gets older?

"Yediot na hooi, sooki."

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:04 pm

What do you mean, "if you want the Long Winters it shouldn't cost that much"? Just for that our price doubled.

mad as cat

Postby mad as cat » Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:17 pm

So two packs of cigarettes and free drinks?

esatnik

Postby esatnik » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:21 am

We'll pay double, but you better not pull an Axl Rose on us.
Seattle hasn't had a good concert riot since Bumbershoot '96.

Ryan

worth every penny...

Postby Ryan » Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:42 am

why, just last summer, i saved brooke shields from drowning and blew the reward money hiring van halen to play my birthday party.

in hindsight, i guess i should have gotten the long winters.

but if i come across any large sums of money in the near future, i'd certainly hire them to play. hell, i'd hire them to just stand around in french maid outfits, or dress up like the cast of gilligan's island, or maybe pay them to sit around and eat large quantities of chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes with me.

because they are that good. and they are worth every penny...

Forrest

Postby Forrest » Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:34 am

For the sake of prolonging this wonderful discourse: what, pray tell, is a
"Seattle Weekly Hipster?"

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:48 pm

Ok, hopefully this doesn’t come off sounding bad…

First off I fully support the all ages scene. I believe it is needed and should be there. I was thrilled when the TDO was changed. In fact I even attend an all ages show from time to time…

BUT…I would prefer not to. Over the past few years as I have gotten older (I’m almost 30) my want to go to all ages shows has declined significantly. And now I actually avoid it. It’s become where it has to be a damn good line up for me to go to an all ages show. Or have a band I totally love…like TLW. And luckily this being Seattle, most of the bands you can see every few weeks anyway so I know I can always catch the 21+ show if I skip the all ages one. The last all ages show I went to was only because of a conflict. The Divorce were playing a show the same night some friends of mine were so in order to see both shows I went to The Divorce early all ages show.

Basically it comes down to this. I’m gettin old. I don’t really want to hang out w/teenagers. I have nothing against them, some of them I even call friends, but on a whole at a show I feel old, out of place and slightly uncomfortable. This is true even of the bigger name shows I have gone to lately at the Graceland or The Paramount. The bands I tend to like attract a younger crowd and although I don’t look much older than they, I feel like I’m one of the parents who came to chaperone their kids….even if I don’t have mine w/me.

I’m not saying that there should be a separation. Everyone under 21 over there and every over 21 over there. I’m just saying for me now, I feel more comfortable at the bar w/the older folk.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:54 pm

I agree with you, Brutaful Smile, but for an opposite reason. If a band I love, like TLW, is playing a 21+ show, I don't get too broken up about it, because I know they'll be around and play some all ages shows sometime. And, like John said, they have played more all ages shows here in the past year, than 21+. I am in a weird place, I'm 20 years old, no longer a teenager, but not "old enough" to drink (which I don't do much anyway). I ain't no baby! ;) But, drunk guys in their 20s, can get just as rowdy as drunk teens.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”