so how is the new record coming along?

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:31 pm

Generally I agree with you Jason, no musician should write songs just because people expect them to do so.
In certain cases deadlines can do wonders tho, even with creative works. Especially when you tend to procrastinate.

But of course, saying something like "I have to write an album's worth of songs untill the end of the year" probably wouldn't be a useful strategy. But maybe there are musicians who work like that, who knows.

zach

Postby zach » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:55 pm

sour29 wrote:Edit: Fixed awful typo. GOSH. Where's the grammar police on this board?

Was the only difference 'wreck-ord' versus "wreckord'?

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:39 am

Nope. It was half instead of have. BRUTAL.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:36 pm

Moni wrote:But of course, saying something like "I have to write an album's worth of songs untill the end of the year" probably wouldn't be a useful strategy. But maybe there are musicians who work like that, who knows.

Those bands are bands on major labels. Most of them have deadlines. Or at least a quota of records made in a certain time frame. Like contract states "3 records in 5 years".

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:41 pm

I'd bet Barsuk has a quota. Our Barsukians need to put food on the table, too! :D

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:23 am

I think it can be good to have at least an a tentative deadline for a creative effort. Even if mostly it yields half-ass attempts, there's bound to be some nuggets in there worth keeping. Plus it might keep you from putting things off until you have worked yourself into a place where you think you cannot ever get the creativity flowing again.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”