When I Pretend to Fall

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

When I Pretend to Fall

Postby Unremarkable » Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:15 pm

Is a great album. The liner notes are a great piece of art. I think it sounds much more positive than TWYCDIH. I can't really say I like it better or worse than TWYCDIH, because they're both really different. It does sound a lot more fun. I would really like to hear them play "Nora" live. I've heard them play almost every other song.

Who else has heard it? What is your impression of it?

defrocked

Postby defrocked » Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:03 pm

OK, I knew you had the songs, but how in the hell do you have the liner notes? I'm jealous to an unhealthy degree.

Is there a way to hear the songs besides SoulSeek? It won't connect for me lately. And don't worry guys, I have never just downloaded the songs in place of buying an album. This is only until it's officially released, then I'll buy it. I'm not a thief, just an impatient dork.

mandy

Postby mandy » Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:00 pm

The songs I HAVE NOT heard (on an album which I DO NOT have a copy of) are...well, okay, I wouldn't necessarily say more positive, but they're not as moody and self-hating. Except for "Nora", kind of. Not that I would know any of this.

Uh, yeah, so I like it. And stuff. Or, you know, I would like it if I had a copy. Especially "Prom Night at Hater High" which makes me giggle like crazy.

stephanie

Postby stephanie » Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:04 pm

I, uh, also do not have a copy.
If I did, my personal favourites would probably be "Bride and Bridle" and "Nora." And "Stupid," especially live, even when one must fly 2,000 miles with their best friend to see it performed with all due dispatch. No joke.
I am buying a copy of the new record for myself and every one of my good-music-enjoying friends/relatives on May 6th (including my mum); have no fear. (That's right; I'm stopping at the record store on my way to the TL/Rx show in Chicago.)

The liner notes are indeed amazing. I have this fetish, which appears to be exclusive to collector geeks like yrs truly, that involves an album release being even more exciting if there are extensive and strange liner notes including many in-jokes no one outside the band will ever understand. Be still my ("nerds!!!") heart!

Something tells me there's a new URL my employer has yet to block! And I think the people downstairs have just notised that their upstairs neighbour has been drunkenly howling off-key vocal harmonies to late 90s powerpop gems for an hour or so, as I just heard the unmistakable sound of a broomstick hitting their ceiling/my floor!

Still, it is all good.
I am going to go pass out on my livingroom floor.

Unremarkable

liner notes

Postby Unremarkable » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:32 pm

My fav songs on it are: Cinnamon, New Girl, Nora, and Scared Straight.

By the way, in the liner notes a "Stephanie & Laura" is mentioned in the thankyous section...could that be you and your friend? I ask because weren't you the ones that were thanked by the Winters at the WWU show?

mildlyrestarted

Re: liner notes

Postby mildlyrestarted » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:00 pm

Unremarkable wrote:My fav songs on it are: Cinnamon, New Girl, Nora, and Scared Straight.

By the way, in the liner notes a "Stephanie & Laura" is mentioned in the thankyous section...could that be you and your friend? I ask because weren't you the ones that were thanked by the Winters at the WWU show?

that just may be us. :) *blushes*

meg
Mod Emeritus

Postby meg » Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:11 am

I was all up in the "Cinnamon" camp for awhile, but these days it's about playing "New Girl" so loudly that I hurt the molars of the Federal Reserve guards across the street. The end.

call me stupid

Postby call me stupid » Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:45 am

seriously, how do all of you get these songs so early? i'm dying here. may 6th is too far away!!!

stephanie

our fifteen minutes are ticking away.

Postby stephanie » Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:26 am

Unremarkable wrote:By the way, in the liner notes a "Stephanie & Laura" is mentioned in the thankyous section...could that be you and your friend? I ask because weren't you the ones that were thanked by the Winters at the WWU show?

Yes, on both counts -- unless they know another pair of best friends who have our names, in which case only the latter statement is true.
We are amazed and flattered and ohsograteful, in the way that only true, bonafide music geeks can be.

Sigh.

Unremarkable

Postby Unremarkable » Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:46 pm

mandy wrote:I wouldn't necessarily say more positive, but they're not as moody and self-hating. Except for "Nora"

I guess I can agree with that.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”