Blanket hog

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

kramerface

Blanket hog

Post by kramerface »

there have been mixed reviews on the song blanket hog. i personally like it, but i was wondering what all you other long winter lovers think.
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

If I were inclined to skip a song on WIPTF, that would probably be it. Not that would I ever even think about doing that....I'm just saying.
Last edited by Forrest on Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

Forrest wrote:If I were inclined to skip a song on WIPTF, that would probably be it. Not that would ever even think about doing that....I'm just saying.
Geez you don't deserve to know your own secret!! Heh.
I love that song.
I shall mope for a while now.
Last edited by Moni on Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
supremecourt

Post by supremecourt »

Love the album, but I agree that's the song to skip. The piano is nice, but it's not very interesting or original (simplicity can be a very good thing, but it sounds just like 8 million other slow-song piano parts I've heard) and the singing is a little on the croony side for my tastes.

But then again, maybe it's supposed to be kind of funny? A ballad about a blanket hog? If so, I appreciate that, I really do. But I still find myself hitting the skip button when I hear that one start up.

So many of the other songs on the album contain clever little musical touches (like the mandolin in "Cinnamon" during the part about the gondolas). "Blanket Hog" just seemed to be lacking the same touch to me. But frankly, I'm glad. Because if every song were perfect, it would just make me feel that much more inadequate. Heh.

One of the best new albums I've heard in awhile, though. Perfect summer-with-the-car-windows-rolled-down music.
Last edited by supremecourt on Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marty

Post by Marty »

I don't have a favorite or a least favorite song on this record. That being said, I think Blanket hog sort of shows something about the author that contrasts the themes on the first record.
Bepo

I do not skip.

Post by Bepo »

I do not skip. I may have a few critiques, but the music is spectacular. I love the total disregard for all socially 'normal' musical lyrics, techniques, and rhythms. I have to agree though; I am perpetually rolling down my windows and letting my Long Winters music flow out into the masses. I had a red light stop, and a person walking on the street stopped to listen to Cinnamon.
stephanie

pure sound.

Post by stephanie »

I think it's one of the sweetest songs in the world, and I'm not prone to liking that sorta thing.. hurts my heart, y'know, in that pleasant sort of way.

It makes me sigh and swoon like the schoolgirl I'd be if I weren't too lazy and ambitionless to go to college.

[ /two cents ]
A Brutaful Smile

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

i love the way it starts out and the grand ending but on a whole it's not a favorite. at first i did skip it but it has grown on me more. i still will fast forward to the ending sometimes tho.
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

I like it, but I guess you could call it my 11th favorite song on the album...but I don't skip it, unless I am trying to turn someone on to TLW, then I don't want to scare them right off the bat.
Unremarkable

Post by Unremarkable »

D'oh!
kramerface

Post by kramerface »

well eric here are some thoughts. mixed, but overall good i believe. i do think that it is one that has to grow on you, and you have to be in the right mood for it. way to go bro, you are bad ass!
Moni

Post by Moni »

Did the song grow on me or did i like it instantly i dont really remember... strangeness...
Anyway,I like that "violent coda", especially when it builds up towards the end and suddenly all that remains is that weird little string quartet.

But I guess I'm the only one here who can listen to that song on repeat - aww.
carlitos

Post by carlitos »

Liz wrote:Anyway,I like that "violent coda", especially when it builds up towards the end and suddenly all that remains is that weird little string quartet.
Its EPIC.
call me stupid

Post by call me stupid »

With all this nonsense talk of skipping songs, it made me think of something: what is everyone's favorite consecutive songs?
I have a hard time deciding, but I'll go with Scared Straight/Shapes.
huck

Post by huck »

"blanket hog" isn't my favorite song, but musically-speaking, i think it's really interesting. the piano part may be simple, but i think that's intentional -- the song opens with a whirr of noise and then all of a sudden, just when you think it's about to rock out, this quiet piano comes wafting in from the left, taking you into what is, in my opinion, a very sweet song. initially, i didn't like the crash that comes back at the end, because it kind of startles you out of a nice slow song stupor, but the more i listen to it, the more i think it's a really clever spin on pop ballad expectations.

my favorite series of songs on the album is all four of the initial tracks. it took me 6 days to get past song number 4 (cinnamon), actually, because every time i got to the end of that song, i'd want to stop and start all over again at the beginning. yep, it's true, i'm a dork.
brently

Post by brently »

personally, i love this song. and i love this album more than i can put into words.

and i just found out i'll be able to see TLW for the second time on june 17th! yayyyyyyyyyy!
miss michaela dee

Post by miss michaela dee »

I'm with Stephanie. "Blanket Hog" leaves me all warm and cuddly, in a sort of bittersweet melancholic kind of way.

Also, my totally music-impaired boyfriend likes it a lot, so that's a major endorsment --seriously. Something has to be really really good for him to even give it a notice.

I also adore the little string quartet outro after the "violent coda" (right on, Liz). It's when you're having a really violent and weird dream that suddenly changes tone and location... or something like that.
Moni

Post by Moni »

miss michaela dee wrote:"violent coda" (right on, Liz)
Note: I'd love to claim the copyright for this one, but those were John's words...

Oh and I think the song did grow on me, it didn't take much time tho. But then if it doesn't take much time you cannot really call it "growing" per se, right?
miss michaela dee

Post by miss michaela dee »

Liz wrote:
miss michaela dee wrote:"violent coda" (right on, Liz)
Note: I'd love to claim the copyright for this one, but those were John's words...
Erm, right on, John! Right on, Liz for erm...quoting John! (:
Liz wrote:Oh and I think the song did grow on me, it didn't take much time tho. But then if it doesn't take much time you cannot really call it "growing" per se, right?
Hmmm. I think that's splitting hairs somewhat -- but I mean, of the song doesn't grab you immediately, then it grows on you, right? Or something like that? Apparently, I need more coffee. My incoherence this morning is totally unacceptable.
Last edited by miss michaela dee on Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unremarkable

Post by Unremarkable »

I'd really like to hear how they play it live as a full band, I've only heard it done as a John+Sean duo. As for my favorite consecutive songs...I think I would go with...wow, this is tough...um...New Girl and The Sound of Coming Down.