Nada Surf - Friday

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

kyle_s9

Postby kyle_s9 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:39 pm

sour29 wrote:
kyle_s9 wrote:i'll see you at the opera house probably?
that'll be my first nada surf concert!
I'll be there. I really wish your first Nada Surf experience wasn't at the UGHpra House. I hate that venue with a passion. In fact, I'm traveling to Montreal the next day to see them at a venue that's half-decent.

why do you hate that venue?
i'm actually quite fond of it

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:30 pm

You mean other than the mediocre-at-best-but-generally-horrific sound? I find the people that work there are real assholes.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:43 am

kyle_s9 wrote:i'll see you at the opera house probably?
that'll be my first nada surf concert!
Hey Kyle -- how was it? Hopefully you had a fantastic time. The sound improved for Nada Surf, thankfully, since it was pretty muddy for the Jealous Girlfriends (who were still pretty awesome)! Can't believe I didn't run into you -- I must've ran into three or four people I didn't even know were going to be there!

kyle_s9

Postby kyle_s9 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:52 am

yeah, i didn't spot you either
but yeah, i thought they were pretty awesome. They played for a pretty long time i must say. I'd say my favorite part was the whole encore, and see these bones.
I was surprised no acoustic guitars though.
And i really wanted to hear Are You Lightning? lol, but yeah, awesome show.

brodie

Postby brodie » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:34 pm

hey, i too was at the opera house. damn, they were sweet. i agree that the sound was quite muddy for the jealous girlfriends(giant wall of blended instruments), but nonetheless they still impressed. I was very pleased that Nada chose to play a good mix of old(lots of let go) and new(a couple tunes from lucky). Highlights include fruit fly, see these bones(which was even more spectacular than i thought it would be live) and the triple repeat at the end of blankest year(the third time matt started taking his guitar off than realized everyone still wanted to party). Also, iras talk of how bass is an easy instrument was pretty funnny and his sweet shirt. overall, pleased i attended even thought it cost me studying for exams.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:21 pm

Sorry I didn't get to catch you guys, but it was a good show. I was really digging the Jealous Girlfriends until the sound got so bad I spent their set chatting with my friends by the bar. Oh, well. Nada Surf sounded much, much better, but still only so-so. They sounded at least 10x better at Club Soda in Montreal the following night, although the setlist was virtually note-for-note the same (with an exception of Concrete Bed being moved from the opening song to around the 12th. Boo to that.

Montreal didn't get taped because we showed up around 9:10 expecting to catch the Jealous Girlfriend's set, and Nada Surf came on stage almost immediately after, and I didn't have time to set up my mics or anything. Oh well, even the most vigilant of tapers deserves a night off, I reckon. I wish they had mixed up the setlist a bit (the order, at least, if not the songs!), which made the second show a little bit of a bore -- but was worth the much-improved sound and lighting.

On that note, I am uploading the recording of the Toronto show to HaterHigh.com as I type this, and should be up before The Office airs later tonight. ;)

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:16 am

Man, we Torontonians really hijacked this thread, didn't we?

Maybe this will get the thread back on topic?

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:52 am

sour29 wrote:Man, we Torontonians really hijacked this thread, didn't we?

Maybe this will get the thread back on topic?

Let's bring a bit more attention to this gem: 'this' is nothing less than a recording of Nada Surf doing the Commander cover, and totally worth the 35 odd Mb dowload!!
But where did you get it from, Sour, that looks like it comes from a complete recording... (what I'm actually curious about is how the song was announced, so I would love to hear the end of t02)

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:30 pm

It does come from a complete recording, available to all at DimeADozen.org . Of course, you have to already be a member, or be one of the lucky few applicants they offer up every day or so. I only grabbed this track from the recording, but I might go back and get the whole thing since the sound is so excellent.

h4ck
Current Heading: East

Postby h4ck » Tue May 06, 2008 12:36 pm

found a more complete version..but still not the whole thing.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJghICb5MDI&NR=1

also, hard to see, but is john wearing a chester arthur these days?

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Fri May 09, 2008 9:09 am

Dare one rather say a "Lemmy"?

Return to “Give Me a Moment”