ugh... seriously?

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

h4ck
Current Heading: East

ugh... seriously?

Postby h4ck » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:01 pm

el dubs, please dont ever do this to me.*

i used to see these guys @ the bowery for like 10 bucks. 42 in tightpantsburg? yeah, maybe 42 at madison square with a full orchestra, and firebreathing trapeze artists and the beatles opening for them...

would love to see 'cab again, but im protesting that. unless i can call some friends, i dont want to pay that much to see (not hear) a band play 10-12 songs with a bunch of screeching 16 year olds.

*i'd go if tlw was opening

okay im done bitching. and honestly, i'll probably end up going anyway. its only 40 bucks.
but still.
ridic.

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:24 pm

Ha. They were playing for like $60 here on the Plans tour. And that's when our dollar value still sucked, so that's a good $70+ US a ticket! Or well over $150,000 for one night. Of course, obviously, only a fraction of that actually goes to the band, but DAMN. They make more money in one night than I make in six months. And they were here for two nights! DAMN.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:25 pm

Granted, I have paid well over $175 to travel to Montreal to see the Long Winters, if you take into account bus and hotel expenses.

the new girl

Postby the new girl » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:54 pm

Yeah. I've come to the realization that I probably won't see them again anytime soon which is really too bad. For me, not them. They deserve the $$$ that comes with big shows, expensive tickets, and (worst of all) annoying screaming kiddies.

At least the last time I saw them was with TLW opening in Spokane, a week or so before Transatlanticism came out, so that was a damn good show to end things on (for now, at least).

My current quasi-overpriced concert dilemma is Wilco for $40 or so. Hrm. (and I just dropped significantly more than sour's $175 to see the Harvey Danger in Seattle, but those were extenuating circumstances. and kind of killed my concert budget for a bit.)

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:33 am

the new girl wrote:At least the last time I saw them was with TLW opening in Spokane, a week or so before Transatlanticism came out, so that was a damn good show to end things on (for now, at least).

My current quasi-overpriced concert dilemma is Wilco for $40 or so. Hrm. (and I just dropped significantly more than sour's $175 to see the Harvey Danger in Seattle, but those were extenuating circumstances. and kind of killed my concert budget for a bit.)

I helped Forrest man the merch table for the Thursday HD show, did I meet you (and tell you that their non-xl shirt selection was not extra large) without knowing it?

The secret DCFC / TLW show at the Crocodile right before the spokane show led me to actually register for this board, rather than just lurking in the shadows.

the new girl

Postby the new girl » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:15 pm

Flyn wrote:I helped Forrest man the merch table for the Thursday HD show, did I meet you (and tell you that their non-xl shirt selection was not extra large) without knowing it?

I'd say there's a 50/50 chance... I bought the little booklet-thingy and a small poster Thursday, so I must have met you or Forrest briefly. I didn't really look at the shirts all that closely, I glanced at 'em, saw nothing new and exciting, and proceeded to snag my other stuff.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:38 pm

Is it just more, or is it easier to pay a huge sum of money to TRAVEL to see a band than it is to actually pay for an expensive ticket? I've traveled to Montreal to see DCFC twice, when tickets were still under $25 each (one time being $18 for the triple bill of TLW, Nada Surf, and DCFC which was pretty much an extended aural orgasm), this will be my third trip to Montreal to see Nada Surf, and have done it twice for TLW.

But as soon as Death Cab tickets got to be over the $40 range, I stopped traveling to see them, let alone seeing them in a town that I already inhabited.

I think, maybe, it has to seem like the music awesomeness to ticket value ratio has to be particularly high to mandate my attendance. And the travel expenses, because of the experience, are exempt from the equation. Now, this doesn't mean that I don't want to give the band the money -- on the contrary, the less money I spend on a concert ticket, the more money I spend on merchandise. See John Vanderslice, where I dropped $80 for his album oeuvre because I was guest listed. But it's difficult to swallow that initial up-front cost of admission. Especially when it exceeds $25 or so.

Does that make sense? Am I the only one? Really.

dianna

Postby dianna » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:05 am

^ You're not the only one. I spent ridiculous amounts of money going to the Netherlands and to Spain last fall to see JV play (for clarification: I was living in France, I didn't randomly hop the pond twice), but I cringed a little bit when I had to drop 30$ on a Spoon ticket a few weeks ago. I'm broke because I spent all my money in Europe.

Moni

Postby Moni » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:56 am

Makes sense to me, too. Maybe because taking a trip (even a short one to a city nearby) feels like a small vacation (I could elaborate but I'm lazy).

Anyway I'd be thrilled if the LWs are going to play bigger venues and be able to charge 30,- for a show some time in the future. Of course that doesn't mean that once this actually happens I'm not going to complain about how nice it was when they still played small clubs and charged only 10,- a show :)

kyle_s9

Postby kyle_s9 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:15 am

well...
Their shows look alot better, with the lights, and that cool plans stage thing they had.
But yeah... it's not too bad most of the time. Death Cabs next show in toronto is $56, but thats also with Stars, Rogue Wave and Young Galaxy, and the cost of the ferry ride to the island. That seems reasonable...
i dunno

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:23 am

kyle_s9 wrote:well...
Their shows look alot better, with the lights, and that cool plans stage thing they had.
But yeah... it's not too bad most of the time. Death Cabs next show in toronto is $56, but thats also with Stars, Rogue Wave and Young Galaxy, and the cost of the ferry ride to the island. That seems reasonable...
i dunno
I get what you're saying, really. But a part of me also interprets it as

"They're spending a lot of money on superfluous gimmicks to inflate the price of tickets. Also, they will be playing a shortened set because they are performing with at least two other bands capable of headlining successful shows in Toronto, whose sets will also be dampened. Furthermore, they will have to stick to the hit songs and singles to appease the casual fans who are there for the opening acts. Plus, as if the cost of public transportation and admission wasn't enough, you also have to pay for a boat to take you there. That's ridiculous.
Trust me -- I had both of these conflicting conversations in my head when I saw tickets were going on sale. I really want to be able to justify it, but I just can't.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”