Ken Stringfellow's cover of Breeze

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Ken Stringfellow's cover of Breeze

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:01 pm

After having played It'll be a Breeze live at many of his solo shows, Ken Stringfellow has now released a recording of the song on his new ep called 'The Sellout Cover Sessions vol.1'.

the liner notes give a nice peek at WIPTF recording/production and Ken's view of it:
I recorded/produced quite a bit of the album this song appeared on originally, but not this song, which I think is one of John's best ever. I thought Chris Walla's recording of it was...er...perhaps going for a conceptual end that was over my head... in other words, he had made the guitar sound * really * strange and I thought it would be better off recorded from scratch - but we didn't have enough time, we had to finish the other songs we were working on. John smartly included it on his album. My version was recorded live in my flat, with one mic (a Pacific Pro Audio PPA-2ube) in figure-8. I'm on one side, strumming and singing, with the amp on the other side of the mic. Sonically, it kills the LW's version. But, I'm at the point where I have to admit I could never write a song this good.

I really like Ken's version, but I prefer John's. However, I personally think Ken has written equally good songs, so that balances things out for me.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:31 pm

Wow, the silence in this topic is deafening. We're talking about Ken Stringfellow here, good people, one of the world's greatest singers and songwriters!

For your listening and viewing pleasure I have uploaded an audience video of Ken's cover version to the Long Winters Library's banter stage. I figured it would be appropriate for once to have an ex-Winter of sorts take the stage.

After that, go forth and explore the guy's own music, if you haven't before; I think you won't be disappointed.

</off soapbox>

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:36 pm

<shrugs> Looked, and couldn't find any mp3s. Thus, didn't really have anything to say about it. Maybe when an empeethree surfaces, there will be more stimulating conversation?

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:27 pm

I am a longtime Posies fan, and my very first concert was the first "endfest" for KNDD, to which I tagged along with my sister at the age of 13 in the summer of 1992. I meant to respond earlier, but wanted to hear the "official" version of it; I was thinking there might be some discs available at the Posies show next month.

I just watched the video, and it's good, though I don't know if I like the grammar change. I think "are these your kisses" is totally awkward. On a related note, I seem to recall Sean taking issue with the song being from the viewpoint of someone in a coma.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:10 pm

Flyn wrote:I just watched the video, and it's good, though I don't know if I like the grammar change. I think "are these your kisses" is totally awkward. On a related note, I seem to recall Sean taking issue with the song being from the viewpoint of someone in a coma.
Ugh... and really? Why?!

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:51 pm

The first time I heard this song, I thought it was written from the viewpoint of someone in a coma. Then a film student at the UW, I wrote a music video treatment for it from that perspective and upon giving it to John this suspicion was confirmed.

In it, the patient, played by John, astrally projects out of the hospital, to find his one true love had moved on after years of bedside vigil. In the end he returns to his body, and relieved that she would be happy and okay without him, he dies without a tremor.

I think it could have been great, but at the time, with a new album on the horizon it didn't seem like a good idea to make a video from a previous album. Still, I think it would make a nice short film, and i've thought often about resurrecting the project.

It was either that, or going with a frame by frame recreation of the Metallica "One" video.

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:25 am

I should clarify that, as I recall, he was taking issue with it directly with John, while on stage or possibly a radio appearance. But, it's possible that he was taking issue with it being written from the standpoint of someone in a persistent vegetative state, or something else that would preclude someone from writing sad songs. Eric has really come into his own in the backing vocals, but he's still got a long way to go in the arguing with John onstage department.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:42 am

Flyn wrote:I meant to respond earlier, but wanted to hear the "official" version of it; I was thinking there might be some discs available at the Posies show next month.

that's how I got mine, great Posies show in Utrecht last week.

I can see your fascination with the song from a filmmakers point of view, Adam, although as a music fan I don't know about a video that 'explains' a song like that - but as a short film it could be great.

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:12 am

I prefer Ben Gibbard's version, over Stringfellow's...

h4ck
Current Heading: East

Postby h4ck » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:19 am

2nd.

Harvey Winters wrote:I prefer Ben Gibbard's version, over Stringfellow's...

sour29

Postby sour29 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:57 pm

Flyn wrote:Eric has really come into his own in the backing vocals, but he's still got a long way to go in the arguing with John onstage department.
I make up for it by arguing with John from the crowd.

Also, maybe that's WHY Eric's the only one still around? He keeps his mouth shut and his head down... ;)

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:35 pm

You're all fired.

I, too, take issue with Ken's grammar change. What is it I'm feeling? Kisses, yours. Am I conscious of multiple sensations? I am not. A vague consciousness do I have of a single, penetrating sensation which could be, possibly, "your kisses"? Perhaps. Strong with the Force are you? Hmm?

Ken "corrected" this grammar because he thinks he's smarter than me.

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:00 pm

sour29 wrote:Also, maybe that's WHY Eric's the only one still around? He keeps his mouth shut and his head down... ;)

That stung and made me lol at the same time:

"I'd bend down to tie my shoes, and there he'd be; "YEAH! I'M THE LEAD SINGER!!!"

Moni

Re: Ken Stringfellow's cover of Breeze

Postby Moni » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:27 pm

Liesbeth wrote:the liner notes give a nice peek at WIPTF recording/production and Ken's view of it:

I've been wondering why he chose exactly that TLW cover (between all those he's done live) to put on the CD... interesting!

I seriously managed to overlook the fact he was selling the Covers EP at the Posies show in Vienna. But since he's coming back in just a week, I should be getting it then! :)

Jason I can help you out with some sounds. Or I'll kick your ass till you decide to buy "Touched" already. I can't believe KS' songwriting is so underestimated. You have no idea what you're missing.

EDIT: I just found this: KS cover of Breeze with "correct" grammar, filmed in Vienna's 16th district; on a park bench.

zach

Postby zach » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:50 am

John wrote:What is it I'm feeling? Kisses, yours. Am I conscious of multiple sensations? I am not.

"Are these your kisses I'm feeling?" seems instead like it's asking, "So, in regard to these kisses I'm feeling, are they yours?" The narrator is clearly not looking for the answer to whose kisses they are! Otherwise, the emphasis would be on YOUR.

No You Are

Postby No You Are » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:17 am

I grammatically agree with John.

NatureBoy

Postby NatureBoy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:26 am

It doesn't surprise me that Ken's version would emphasize multiple kisses from multiple girls...

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:45 am

NatureBoy wrote:It doesn't surprise me that Ken's version would emphasize multiple kisses from multiple girls...

Zing!

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:13 am

you're all ruining it for me!

granted i never put much thought into the song. or any of them really. i just enjoy them. which is why on occassion a lyric from any song by anyone suddenly strikes me as weird eventho i have been singing it for years.

h4ck
Current Heading: East

Postby h4ck » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:32 am

thats it, ken is getting an assbeating the next time he are in nyc.

AND LEAVE MY GRAMMAR ALONE.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”