Ken Stringfellow's cover of Breeze

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

h4ck
Current Heading: East

Postby h4ck » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:35 am

the only thing i like about ken stringfellow is his Taylor guitar. and i dont even like THAT very much.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:57 am

I must say that I didn't notice the lyrics change until it was pointed out here, I often don't pay attention to lyrics in full detail. So I checked the ep again and I'm afraid I have to say he did it on the recorded version too. Which might mean Ken will get his ass kicked in Seattle next month?! John should be able to have him easily.

What I don't understand is why Ken changed it, even if he thought it was grammatically better: in the sound of the song 'are these' just doesn't fit both in timing and in sound, whereas 'is it' combines perfectly in sound with 'kisses'. I guess that might be the thing that's been bugging me about Ken's version subconsciously, because that line doesn't flow right. Ken should have known better than that from a songwriting point of view. Which might mean John's a smarter songwriter. Which is probably why I make a Long Winters' page, not a Stringfellow website.

Having gotten curious, I have also listened to the WIPFT recording of Breeze and cannot find anything weird about the guitar part (but then again, I'm no expert on guitar and sound). My guess is that this guitar thing might well be the reason why Ken picked this song to put on the cover ep. I once read his notes on the recording of - I think - the Posies' Frosting On The Beater album, which clearly revealed how much of a guitar sound nerd he really is.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:00 pm

all I can contribute to this is the sincere hope that Ken has moved on from the distracting super-mullet he had when I saw the posies in japan.

However, I would like to hear Prince cover Breeze, like he did Creep at Cochella: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u1ekw3LB0I

Wouldn't a Prince/Breeze cover be something? Prince-ify it! Guitar solo! Sex it up!

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:20 pm

Ken has had some strange hair over the years. Your link is already gone, and Prince's lawyers should be sending you a letter regarding your watching of the video, and subsequent compliments.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:39 pm

Flyn wrote:Ken has had some strange hair over the years. Your link is already gone, and Prince's lawyers should be sending you a letter regarding your watching of the video, and subsequent compliments.

sucks. it was really good. *sulk*

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Thu May 08, 2008 12:37 am

Ken played the song again two days ago (and I'm sure he's gonna play it every show of this little tour, fantastic bill by the way, with Trouble Over Tokyo and Asha Ali), and it was fantastic. His voice sounded great, he played it sans mic and with "wrong" grammar again :)
And I've never seen so many people keep so quiet during that song; you could hear a pin drop!

By the way, he also made some little changes in other places, too: "your voice it appeals to me" and "i am a tree, you can build a nest in my hair". just for the record for all the songwriting-grammar nerds here.

Anyway, I think the video recordings of the cover don't do Ken's real performance justice. Right.

sour29

Re: Ken Stringfellow's cover of Breeze

Postby sour29 » Thu May 08, 2008 5:53 pm

... in other words, he had made the guitar sound * really * strange
Oh my god, I totally hear it now. YOU RUINED THE SONG FOR ME, STRINGFELL'ER.

h4ck
Current Heading: East

Postby h4ck » Sat May 10, 2008 2:04 pm

he's an asshole.

Moni wrote:Ken played the song again two days ago (and I'm sure he's gonna play it every show of this little tour, fantastic bill by the way, with Trouble Over Tokyo and Asha Ali), and it was fantastic. His voice sounded great, he played it sans mic and with "wrong" grammar again :)
And I've never seen so many people keep so quiet during that song; you could hear a pin drop!

By the way, he also made some little changes in other places, too: "your voice it appeals to me" and "i am a tree, you can build a nest in my hair". just for the record for all the songwriting-grammar nerds here.

Anyway, I think the video recordings of the cover don't do Ken's real performance justice. Right.

Patr!ck

Postby Patr!ck » Sat May 10, 2008 4:19 pm

I want people to stop covering this song.

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Sat May 10, 2008 5:02 pm

I want Phil Collins to stop covering songs...

Moni

Postby Moni » Sun May 11, 2008 1:38 am

h4ck wrote:he's an asshole.

what the hell...??

And I want Phil Collins to stop writing songs

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Sun May 11, 2008 5:53 am

Wow, today's points for subtlety go to h4ck.

And I want people to stop talking about Phil C., it gives me nightmares.

zach

Postby zach » Sun May 11, 2008 1:08 pm

I DON'T want people to stop covering this song.

In fact. I'd like to make an entire mixtape filled with covers of this song. And as many different ways of saying "is it your kisses I'm feeling" as possible!

Burning Bride #7

Postby Burning Bride #7 » Sun May 11, 2008 3:05 pm

Let's have an mp3 of this song. Since he screwed the lyrics up we can all have a free listen, I say.

Patr!ck

Postby Patr!ck » Sun May 11, 2008 6:52 pm

I feel a great divide of L-Dubs fans coming on...

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Sun May 11, 2008 10:34 pm

Ken Stringfellow is the Mason-Dixon Line of TLW fans.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Mon May 12, 2008 4:37 am

longtimecoming

Postby longtimecoming » Mon May 12, 2008 2:02 pm

i know the posies used to look silly alot, cuz i remember looking at a cd with their pictures on the back and burst into laughter. i think it was an eighties time warp.

i always thought breeze was about someone over dosing, waking up and seeing their lover cry and kiss the guy for being alive..maybe overdosing after a fight, like the line are u still saying im a liar...then he fades in and out cause it was a bad overdose. but shocked he got her kisses, not yells...

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Mon May 12, 2008 5:44 pm

longtimecoming wrote:i know the posies used to look silly alot, cuz i remember looking at a cd with their pictures on the back and burst into laughter. i think it was an eighties time warp.

To be fair to them, the album you probably saw came out in 1988, which is generally considered to be part of "the eighties".

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Tue May 13, 2008 12:02 am

No one has even referenced Ben Gibbard's version of this tune. He moves the chords around differently.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”