TLW Play at the Showbox Market in Seattle on July 5th

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

leigh

Postby leigh » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:24 am

Any Long Winters is good Long Winters, n'est-ce pas?

Mais oui! And how very lucky I was to get to see them on their mini-tour!

kaiden

Postby kaiden » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:26 pm

Full set list in order for once!

Give Me a Moment
Seven
Stupid
Teaspoon
Cinnamon
Scared Straight
The Commander Thinks Aloud
Blue Diamonds
Fire Island, AK
Honest
Hot For Teacher
Wish You Were Here
Hindsight
Jazz Bass (John puts his hair in pigtails)
Pushover
Nora
Ultimatum (EP version)

kaiden

Postby kaiden » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:27 pm

sour29 wrote:EDIT: Did they have any merch? Anything new or unexpected?

Indeed they have a new grey t-shirt with a weiner dog on it.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:45 pm

EDIT: Beat to the punch!

The "true" setlist:

Give Me a Moment
Seven
Stupid
Teaspoon
Cinnamon
Scared Straight
The Commander Thinks Aloud
Blue Diamonds
Fire Island, AK
Honest
Hot For Teacher (VH tease)
Wish You Were Here (Floyd tease)
Hindsight
Pushover
Nora

**Encore**

Ultimatum (EP version)

A few notes:

--"Give Me a Moment" is the new "Nora" in terms of guitar solos
--I think this was the first time I saw John play a show and not play "Shapes" (which I was glad for)
--Boat was incredibly awesome, one of the best opening bands I've seen in a long time.
--The Cops had some catchy songs, but overall I thought their set sucked. Vocals were non-existent, and there was waayyyy too much rock posturing for me to take them seriously.
--John broke a string near the end of Cinnamon
--The Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here" impromptu jam was one of my all time favorites.
--The acoustics for the whole show were kinda lousy.
--One of my favorite moments of the whole show was (I think during Nora) when John was on keys, he kept trying to turn around and get the sound guy's attention to turn up the vocals, but he was just blankly staring off into space.
--I still really miss Sean's vocals on "Stupid", among other songs.
--It was really, really great to see TLW live again.
--New merch included a t-shirt with a dachshund on it.
--I've recently reached the realization the TLW have a big enough catalog that unless they play a 2 hour long set, there will always be at least 4-5 songs that I'd hoped they played that they never get around to.

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:01 pm

Geez, even when I saw the Long Winters play a 2-hour set, I still missed at least a couple of songs I really wanted to hear.

Luckily, I got to hear them the next time the band came around.

Thanks for the reviews, guys. Makes it easier to imagine I was there for real.

leigh

Postby leigh » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:28 pm

--Boat was incredibly awesome, one of the best opening bands I've seen in a long time. --The Cops had some catchy songs, but overall I thought their set sucked. Vocals were non-existent, and there was waayyyy too much rock posturing for me to take them seriously.

Hmm...I walked away with a different impression. It's the 2nd time that I've seen BOAT and while there is nothing I don't like about their music, I find it pretty forgettable. I enjoyed The Cops, maybe 'cuz they reminded me of a couple punk bands that I adored in my youth (The Poster Children and Naked Raygun). I admit that they were pretty over the top, but I wasn't convinced that it was posturing as much as genuine insanity.

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:44 pm

I liked The Cops. I liked their whole deal. What's wrong with a little stage charisma? Whether it was real or fake, they had it in spades and made them fun to watch. They looked like they were having fun playing rock music, and it probably made me enjoy them more than just hearing their music by itself.

Chris, I'm shocked that as such a big Harvey Danger fan you say you're not a fan of rock posturing. With all his assorted gesticulations, Sean is the master! ;)

I agree with Leigh; after Saturday's show I'm a bigger fan of The Cops than BOAT.

What did you think of the tweaked Commander arrangement in TLW set? I really liked the addition of Jonathan's guitar part. I think it might be my favorite version of the song yet.

kaiden

Postby kaiden » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:56 pm

Unremarkable wrote:--"Give Me a Moment" is the new "Nora" in terms of guitar solos

You are right and I was extremely happy to get to hear it since it was one of the few songs I had yet to hear live. I said this last year after Wulapalooza as well but I have been impressed at how amazing their versions of the TWYCDIH songs are. Every time I get to hear one I am reminded of the true greatness of those songs.

Unremarkable wrote:--Boat was incredibly awesome, one of the best opening bands I've seen in a long time.
--The Cops had some catchy songs, but overall I thought their set sucked. Vocals were non-existent, and there was waayyyy too much rock

I thought BOAT was a bit boring but at least their set was short. The first couple Cops songs had promise and then basically the entire rest of their long set felt exactly the same throughout.

Unremarkable wrote:--The acoustics for the whole show were kinda lousy.

I was standing center stage and about four rows back (tall guy with a shaved head and big beard if anyone thinks they saw me) and the sound was perfect.

Unremarkable wrote:--I've recently reached the realization the TLW have a big enough catalog that unless they play a 2 hour long set, there will always be at least 4-5 songs that I'd hoped they played that they never get around to.

This exact same thing has happened to me so many times in the last few years that it has become painful. While I like PTDTB I always want to hear a good amount of the old songs at every show. Unfortunately those songs get rarer and rarer with every release which is why I usually try to request them whenever I can. (I had my requests for Samaritan, Scent of Lime and Medicine Cabinet Pirate fulfilled during the last tour). Most recently The Decemberists and Flogging Molly are the two bands that I can no longer bring myself to go see because I really don't like their new stuff nearly as much as their old. Luckily, I have yet to hit that point with TLW.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:04 pm

kaiden wrote:
I was standing center stage and about four rows back (tall guy with a shaved head and big beard if anyone thinks they saw me) and the sound was perfect.

were you the guy in the penny arcade shirt? if so, you were just to our right. my boyfriend noted that the characters on your shirt were his very most favorite from penny arcade!

kaiden

Postby kaiden » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:00 pm

chelsea wrote:were you the guy in the penny arcade shirt? if so, you were just to our right. my boyfriend noted that the characters on your shirt were his very most favorite from penny arcade!

Indeed, that was me and my girlfriend to the left of me and at certain points in front of me. Were you the two to our left that were dancing through parts of the show?

leigh

Postby leigh » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:03 pm

From the descriptions, I'd estimate I was to the right and front of Kaiden...probably a little too short to be very visible but the friend I brought is tall and was likely the only white guy in the place with a 'fro...

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:22 pm

kaiden wrote:
chelsea wrote:were you the guy in the penny arcade shirt? if so, you were just to our right. my boyfriend noted that the characters on your shirt were his very most favorite from penny arcade!

Indeed, that was me and my girlfriend to the left of me and at certain points in front of me. Were you the two to our left that were dancing through parts of the show?

yes, we did some dancing!

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:42 pm

Video footage of the show and interview with John Roderick from Seattle Weekly.

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:01 pm

Great Footage!!!
Well, the nursing home just said "lights out", see you tomorrow!!!
Last edited by Harvey Winters on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

longtimecoming

Postby longtimecoming » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:52 pm

damn, i wish i was there. i had no money for cabfare and no place to stay. im going to the dj gig, and im bringing john a dozen home made cookies and a big huge im sorry i couldnt make it to camp rock aka ldubs steak. tee-hee. had to work on the fourth. john forever!

whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeee whhhhhhhhhhoooooooooo!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:59 pm

Unremarkable wrote:Video footage of the show and interview with John Roderick from Seattle Weekly.
Wow. I'm loving the long locks. And that Give Me A Moment?! I heard ten seconds of it and it's already got me itching for some more Long Winters! Sooo good!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:01 pm

And it looks like they all have new guitars! Jon's rocking a Telecaster, and John a Firebird... and I didn't get a good look at Eric's bass, but what I did see looked snazzy!
Last edited by sour29 on Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cam_rock

Postby cam_rock » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:32 pm

Eric was playing a black, Epiphone Jack Casady Signature bass. I believe he's taken a gold one out on the road in the past.

mildlyrestarted

oh, hi, here are photos

Postby mildlyrestarted » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:51 pm

haven't been here in a lonnnnng time.

i will echo the awesomeness of saturday's show, and i'll totally pretend not to be embarrassed because of the video on the weekly's blog (http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/2 ... s_at_t.php)that shows me singing/screaming along to "cinnamon".

here are my photos, hope you dig 'em: http://flickr.com/photos/righton/sets/7 ... 024841671/

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:56 pm

Ha? That was you? Awesome. I was like "There's a true fan!"

EDIT: Picture's are absolutely brilliant. You should hang out here more often.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”