SXSW 2009

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

zach

SXSW 2009

Post by zach »

The Long Winters added to the lineup!

Also: Andrew Bird, Ra Ra Riot, The Little Ones, Langhorne Slim, St. Vincent, Grand Archives, J. Tillman, and a whole lot more.
No You Are
Current Heading: North

Re: SXSW 2009

Post by No You Are »

That is a LOOONG list of tha rock.

I've been meaning to make that trip for years. Gotta do it, gotta do it, gotta do it.
sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by sour29 »

What are the dates? I wonder how long it would take to get a passport...
Moni

Post by Moni »

sour29 wrote:What are the dates? I wonder how long it would take to get a passport...

March 18-22, but I'm afraid at this point it's already way too late to get a hotel/motel room for a decent price anywhere in Austin
Squid

Post by Squid »

Moni's right - these days hotels are gone by November if not sooner. There are literally reminders to book for the coming year as you're leaving on the Sunday. Time to make friendly with people who live there!

I didn't even see they were playing! But in my defense, it's a big list and I initially only scan for stuff from NZ/Japan, so hopefully you will all cut me a tiny bit of slack...
sour29

Post by sour29 »

*le sigh* and I almost had something to do with my breadth of vacation time to use this year. :S
chadham

Post by chadham »

check craig's list...there are loads of people that rent out houses and/or rooms during the festival week...
schawe

Post by schawe »

As of today, looks like LW are NOT coming to SxSW.
What's up with that?
grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Post by grant »

A friend of mine told me that last time? They were driving to Austin through, like, the Hill Country? And they were really tired from driving? And so late at night, they picked up this hitchhiker? And he was kind of weird and had, like, a metal plate in his head and kept talking about Vietnam? Then he asked them to pull onto this dirt road and go just a little farther? And then there was this guy, like, in the road? And he was holding something in his hands? And there was something wrong with his face? And then when they got a little closer, they could see that the guy was holding a CHAINSAW and it was, like, running? And he had some kind of mask on? And the guy with the plate in his head said, "Hey, don't worry, that's my brother! He's just playing around!" and Nabil was like, "No way, he's got a chainsaw!" and the guy said, "Naw, really, he's just funnin' with y'all," and Eric was like, "Wake up, John! Wake up!" and the guy was like, "Aw, he ain't gonna wake up for a good long while, on account of we been sharing my whiskey!" and Nabil and Eric were like, "No way!" and Jonathan was smelling the bottle and he said, "It smells like ether!" and the guy was like, "We brew it up strong in these parts! Knock you right out!" and then he opened the door of the van and started yelling, "Come on, brother! Dog will hunt! Dog will hunt!" and the guy with the mask, like, revved up the chainsaw and started running toward the van, and Jonathan and Eric started screaming and Nabil put the van in reverse and started driving backwards and the guy who was yelling started poking at him with a wire clothes hanger and laughing and saying, like, "Hey, don't you go running away now! Dog's gotta eat!" and then Jonathan kicked him out of the van and Nabil, like floored it backwards, then skidded around and did a perfect bootlegger's reverse and John's guitar tuner flew out of the van onto the road? And then they drove away really really fast and when they got to Austin, like, they let John sleep it off in the van? And they had to play the next day, and when John couldn't find his tuner, they told him what had happened? But he didn't believe them and he got really angry because it was his favorite tuner and they got into an argument, and then? They agreed they didn't want to go back to central Texas unless they really, really had to. For the band.

That's what my friend told me.
No You Are
Current Heading: North

Post by No You Are »

Well, that explains why Nabil took off for NYC.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

this story made my day.
especially the bit about John's favourite guitar tuner.

it's those kinda details that really bring home the truth of the dirty dirty life on the road
Mike McCusker

Post by Mike McCusker »

grant wrote:A friend of mine told me that last time? They were driving to Austin through, like, the Hill Country? And they were really tired from driving? And so late at night, they picked up this hitchhiker? And he was kind of weird and had, like, a metal plate in his head and kept talking about Vietnam? Then he asked them to pull onto this dirt road and go just a little farther? And then there was this guy, like, in the road? And he was holding something in his hands? And there was something wrong with his face? And then when they got a little closer, they could see that the guy was holding a CHAINSAW and it was, like, running? And he had some kind of mask on? And the guy with the plate in his head said, "Hey, don't worry, that's my brother! He's just playing around!" and Nabil was like, "No way, he's got a chainsaw!" and the guy said, "Naw, really, he's just funnin' with y'all," and Eric was like, "Wake up, John! Wake up!" and the guy was like, "Aw, he ain't gonna wake up for a good long while, on account of we been sharing my whiskey!" and Nabil and Eric were like, "No way!" and Jonathan was smelling the bottle and he said, "It smells like ether!" and the guy was like, "We brew it up strong in these parts! Knock you right out!" and then he opened the door of the van and started yelling, "Come on, brother! Dog will hunt! Dog will hunt!" and the guy with the mask, like, revved up the chainsaw and started running toward the van, and Jonathan and Eric started screaming and Nabil put the van in reverse and started driving backwards and the guy who was yelling started poking at him with a wire clothes hanger and laughing and saying, like, "Hey, don't you go running away now! Dog's gotta eat!" and then Jonathan kicked him out of the van and Nabil, like floored it backwards, then skidded around and did a perfect bootlegger's reverse and John's guitar tuner flew out of the van onto the road? And then they drove away really really fast and when they got to Austin, like, they let John sleep it off in the van? And they had to play the next day, and when John couldn't find his tuner, they told him what had happened? But he didn't believe them and he got really angry because it was his favorite tuner and they got into an argument, and then? They agreed they didn't want to go back to central Texas unless they really, really had to. For the band.

That's what my friend told me.

That's always happening to me too.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

Yeah... that's generally something that actually happens to people... outside of movies. We aaaalll know how that feels.