Bumbershoot 2009.

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

cam_rock
Current Heading: Ascending

Re: Bumbershoot 2009.

Postby cam_rock » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:12 am

09/05/2009 Broad Street Stage, Bumbershoot, Seattle, WA

Bride & Bridle
Teaspoon
Fire Island
Scent of Lime
Blue Diamonds
Honest
New Song (didn't catch the name, it's in 5/4 time and is TOTALLY SWEET)
Cinnamon
Scared Straight
The Commander Thinks Aloud
Sound of Coming Down
Pushover
Departure
Nora

Bride & Bridle had a long intro and was way rocked up from the record. Sounded sweet.
The new song is really, really good.
Sound of Coming Down was Nabil's request for his last show.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:34 am

Sweetness.

Kasper

Postby Kasper » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:41 am

That setlist is way sweet. Hasn't it been a long time since they played Bride and Bridle?

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:04 pm

Kasper wrote:That setlist is way sweet. Hasn't it been a long time since they played Bride and Bridle?

Hasn't it been a long time since they've played anything? ;)

I think they played a few times at the end of the PTDTB tour -- so not as long as you might suspect. But I would love to hear an amped up version of it. Hopefully Nabil and the band has a fantastic farewell show. The setlist definitely looks solid. Thanks for the setlist, c_r. Hope you had a great time! :)

Moni

Postby Moni » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:15 pm

Kasper wrote:That setlist is way sweet. Hasn't it been a long time since they played Bride and Bridle?

I am not sure, but I remember when they played Bumbershoot in 2003, they opened with Bride&Bridle with a long intro, too. Coincidence?

Either way, goodbye Nabil :(

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:51 am

goodbye Nabil, hello 5/4 time
such mixed feelings

that setlist is beyond sweet, it's only a few songs away from my dreamed setlist

kaiden

Postby kaiden » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:08 pm

The rock version of Bride & Bridle was quite amazing. In all of the times I've seen TLW live I had never seen them play that song, acoustic or not. I was very happy with it. The new song was one of my favorites of the set. It makes me extremely excited for the album now. Also, I would like to reiterate something I've said numerous times before: I am so tired of Honest. I really wish that song could be phased out of their standard sets.

John's banter was again spot on, but for the life of me I can't remember any of what he said.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:34 pm

I still like Honest, but I'd probably trade it for Hindsight. That being said, this rock version of Bride has piqued my interest.

kaiden

Postby kaiden » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:46 pm

The new song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU5uUiHpb20

You can see the back of my head in this video. I'm the tall guy whose head is blocking out the right side of John's monitor.

As for Honest, it's understandly a personal preference, but it is easily one of my least favorite TLW songs and it's been played at every show I've seen since PTDTB came out. I could name a dozen songs I would have rather heard at that point in the show. C'est la vie.

Kasper

Postby Kasper » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:27 am

Oh so it turns out they just played 'Portland' again. Had hoped it was another new song, its still rather rad though!

Moni

Postby Moni » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:04 am

(sound) magazine
9:53pm
The Long Winters
Broad Street Stage

In what was a clear return to form after a somewhat subdued performance at the Doe Bay Festival earlier this summer, Long Winters frontman John Roderick had a high joke-to-song ratio going on the Broad Sreet Stage. “We’ve taken something of a hiatus so that Eric and I could grow our hair out,” Roderick said, referring to his longtime and fellow longhaired bandmate Eric Corson. Roderick went on to say that the band is currently recording its next record, a follow-up to 2006’s Putting the Days to Bed, and is will finish just “as soon as Eric finishes writing the lyrics.” Roderick, the band’s true lyricist, has been having trouble deciding on his lyrical verse. Work is being done, though, as evidenced by a new track the band debuted. After a false start that mutated into a bit of blues wankery, the band started in on a track that is markedly different from what the band has created before. Most striking was the songs structure, built entirely around a clean, bright and repetitive guitar line from Corson that never once deviated from its set path. Someone, it seems, as been playing with a looping peddle while writing his songs. While the song needs a bit of life breathed into it instrumentally, the lyrics are coming around. “Hope has got me by the throat.” Roderick sang towards the end, “the bicycles dream about their breaks.”
The show also served as drummer Nabil Ayers final Long Winters show. While the drummer has already lived in New York for more than a year, Ayers was still a semi-official member of the band. With his recent hire at 4AD Records, though, the drummer will be hanging up his sticks permanently. Roderick gave him a fitting farewell, leading the band through Ayers final request, a rousing rendition of “The Sound of Coming Down” off of 2003’s When I Pretend to Fall. MARK BAUMGARTEN

SeattleWeekly
Bumbershoot Review: The Long Winters Roll Out the New Stuff
By Paige Richmond
Who: The Long Winters
Where: Broad Street Stage
When: 9:30 p.m.
photo by Justin Dylan Renney
Unexpectedly, The Long Winters unveiled a completely new song halfway through tonight's set. (It was unexpected because the band has been working on a new album for quite some time, but they still weren't playing any new songs as recently as last month, when they headlined Doe Bay Fest.) Lead singer John Roderick introduced the song by joking, "We were taking a hiatus for a while, so Eric and I could grow our hair." Roderick started out a little cautiously, attempting what he described as a "blues jam" on guitar, then stopping, then restarting the song by skipping the opening altogether, saying, "It sounds better on the recording anyway."

The Long Winters then launched a slow pop song with swirling guitars and lyrics about wanting to run away from a relationship but choosing to stay and attempting to find happiness with what you already have instead. The performance was a little rough at times, and the chorus was hard to understand. But the theme of the song came across loud and clear: "Hope, it's got me by the throat," Roderick sang.

When the song was over, he told the audience, "If you videotaped that or are going to blog about it, e-mail me for confirmation first. Or let's just not blog about this. Okay, fine, you can blog about this, but only if you write for Three Imaginary Girls."

Three Imaginary Girls
[ . . . ]
After an hour of Rhett Miller's crooning (and one scarfed festival burrito), it was off to the highlight of my day, the Long Winters - a band who we in imaginary land love dearly, and who hadn't played a public show within the Seattle city limits in over a year. John Roderick introduced the band as Sebadoh, and then opened with a 10 minute long 70's rock jam version of "Bride and Bridle" (normally a haunting country-esque number). J-Rod talked about how the Long Winters have been on a break so that they could grow their hair, but when the album was done, they'd cut their hair and looks like Elementary school teachers again. The audience was treated to a new song entitled "Not Moving to Portland" (which is officially my new favorite song title) that hopefully we'll all be hearing very soon. After playing, Roderick asked that if anyone recorded the song, that they run it by him for confirmation first, and that no one should blog it unless they write for Three Imaginary Girls (!). Aw J-Rod, we love you too. They played quite a few favorites, such as "Scent of Lime", "Sound of Coming Down", and closed with a gorgeous 10+ minute version of "Nora". I spent their entire hour set grinning from ear to ear, and couldn't stop smiling as I walked to the car in the rain.

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:17 am

Moni wrote:(sound) magazine
9:53pm
The Long Winters
Broad Street Stage
...Most striking was the songs structure, built entirely around a clean, bright and repetitive guitar line from Corson that never once deviated from its set path. Someone, it seems, as been playing with a looping peddle while writing his songs...

I was talking to a good friend of mine last week about his songwriting process, and he said he actually had to throw away his looping pedal a few years ago because it so severely interfered with his ability to write lyrics. To sit down at any given moment and compose a song in minutes is seductive - so much so that he couldn't break the habit.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”