Update

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

John
King God, Mang

Update

Postby John » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:11 pm

We've been auditioning drummers for the last several weeks and have played with a large handful of great players and super-nice fellows, resulting in the enviable position of having too many qualified candidates. Auditions are ongoing but, with the Doe Bay festival and Bumbershoot looming, we've chosen to play the upcoming shows with a couple of celebrity drummers, thereby prolonging the search for a permanent new member a little longer. For Doe Bay we're going to have famous American Mike Musburger, formerly of the Fastbacks and Posies, (and innumerable others), and for Bumbershoot we're pleased to announce that Nabil will be flying out to play one last show. Both of these guys are amazing musicians and each show will have it's own unique character. After that, look for us to have a permanent replacement fro Nabil by the time we play in Portland in mid-September.

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Re: Update

Postby sour29 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:14 pm

Wow! Fantatstic! A special treat, no matter which show you happen to make it to. Wish I didn't live so far away. :(

zach

Postby zach » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:37 pm

John wrote:...and for Bumbershoot we're pleased to announce that Nabil will be flying out to play one last show.

Awesome. I was worried I'd seen Nabil drum for the last time. At least my watch is right two times a day.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:07 am

Oh, tha Musburger is a formidable force, but it's cool to see Nabil return one more time to shoot those bumbers and do it well. What is a bumbershoot, anyway?

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:23 am

Liesbeth wrote:What is a bumbershoot, anyway?

It's something that Seattle natives sometimes own, occasionally take out with them, but almost never use: an umbrella. I have been caught in at least one torrential downpour at Bumbershoot (during the Posies, I think), but I'm usually worried about blocking someone's sightlines.

Moni

Postby Moni » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:33 am

The! Mike! Musberger! Awesome. I seriously hope someone's gonna bring back audiovisual proof of this.
And it's nice to hear that Nabil will be doing a final show with the band!

Chunkaway

Postby Chunkaway » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:02 pm

Just had to pat myself on the back.

On Feb. 13th, I wrote this in the Band Nerd Section, "So, is Nabil no longer with the band? Time to start calling Mike Musberger? (Might as well get all 9 former/current Posies in there.)"

Not bad, if I do say so. We drummers aren't always a bad lot. Mike is one of my all-time favorite drummers (in a Keith Moon kind of way), so I'm sure this will make for a great show. Congrats!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:19 pm

Maybe it was that very post that made John pick up the phone and say, "Yo, Mike!" and put the wheels in motion?

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:40 am

Nice article by John about what they've been going through to pick a new drummer: http://www.seattleweekly.com/2009-09-02 ... rs-drummer . Sounds like the final decision hasn't been made yet.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:08 pm

Thanks for the heads up!

I wonder who the final three are? They should've filmed a reality TV show during rehearsals.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:20 am

sour29 wrote:They should've filmed a reality TV show during rehearsals.

I can see it now...

"I'm sorry, [....] please pack your drumsticks and go"

"As you know, in the world of Long Winters drumming, one day you're in, and the next, you're out."

"The band has spoken, bring me your high hat."

Moni

Postby Moni » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:59 am

Excellent idea. I'd love to know what those "increasingly difficult initations" are. Adam?..... Adam?! Sounds like a job for the man! :)

The drawing that goes with the article is really great, too. Seems to have been done by the same person who's also responsible for John's twitter-avatar.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:10 am

Moni wrote:The drawing that goes with the article is really great, too. Seems to have been done by the same person who's also responsible for John's twitter-avatar.

Is it just me or does he look like jerry garcia in that drawing?

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:22 pm

Has there been any word on who will be the drummer this weekend at Musicfest NW? John had said they might have chosen a permanent replacement by this show.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:43 pm

I heard it's Pat Steward.

Who, by the way, is a totally awesome dude.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”