Electric Aphorisms

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Jenny
Current Heading: West

Re: Electric Aphorisms

Postby Jenny » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:36 pm

My boyfriend bought one Friday night. He had John sign his favorite passage. The book has an entry for every day of the year.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:48 am

orochics wrote:
grant wrote:Yes, though less well illustrated than his previous beautiful work.

Mike McCusker wrote:"Fifty years ago, journalist John Roderick bought a small farmhouse in Japan for $14." He looks deceptively young.

How, John is only 41??
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Roder ... usician%29

It's the grey pearls. And some creative record keeping with the clerks of court.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:43 am

not only did he have the foresight to buy this house for a mere $ 14, but further proof of hotrod's financial prowess is in his blog on the side
Easing into investments can pay dividends
Waiting to invest, or reinvest? Today's column is for you.

I stumbled upon this short online article the other day, and thought it explained well some of the advantages of dividend paying stocks, as to other investment strategies. I was also reminded of a childhood memory when I was first introduced to the nature of dividends, and forming a chant with my little sister, "We like dividends, ...". Lots of goodtimes.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:13 pm

The reading last night was fun. John did an acoustic version of Ultimatum, read some excerpts from his book (which he had his mom choose for him), then sang an acoustic version of Pushover by request from someone in the audience.

The group discussion at the end of the reading was interesting but hard to summarize. It started out as a discussion about trying to capture a sense of the Pacific Northwest in writing. It sort of evolved into a discussion about the somewhat standoffish attitude in Seattle, complete with a heckler in the audience who asked if the writers were calling us all d-bags. John very smoothly countered that the heckler was the only one in the room who had talked all during his first song so maybe he was the only d-bag in the room. (Personal rant - What is with people talking through shows lately? It just seems to be happening more and more. It's bad enough when it happens in a club during a loud rock show, but this was a quiet show in a lounge.) I was on the other side of the room but I could hear the guy. I kept looking at the people around me to see who was talking because it didn't occur to me that someone across the room would be talking so loudly. Maybe I don't go to enough literary readings but are hecklers actually common at these events? Maybe the alcohol being served had something to do with it.

I talked to John a little after the reading. There aren't any Long Winter shows scheduled for the near future but they will be at Sasquatch next year.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:25 am

my husband has played at several literature/music events, and quite often the literary people seemed completely uninterested in the music part of the program. I'm fairly sure if it had been the other way round, anyone talking through a spoken word part, the lit set would have been outraged.

Squid

Postby Squid » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:05 pm

It would be very interesting to see if the person with Loud Talker was actually talking back or just standing there dying of embarrassment. I've had that experience. It's awful. Everything seems fine and then suddenly the event begins and you find out you've befriended Mr. or Ms. I Have No Social Graces.

As for Loud Talker himself - coulda been booze that lowered his level of social awareness. Mix that with someone who isn't a big fan or finds themselves incredibly witty (or both) and you're in for an especially annoying night.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:10 pm

In his defense, he did apologize to John afterwards (with his empty martini glass held at a somewhat precarious angle). He seemed to have a fairly loud speaking voice so maybe he didn't realize how loud he was? It's strange but he seemed to be by himself when I saw him earlier. I don't know if he was on the phone or just accosted some poor unfortunate stranger who happened to sit near him.

Mike McCusker

Postby Mike McCusker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:07 pm

Truthfully, I have been both sides of this one. Telling strangers to "shut the fuck up!" at a Sufjan show and also being with a friend, who was 'tired and emotional', being asked to shut the fuck up during an Elbow gig in Manchester.

Squid

Postby Squid » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:56 pm

Mike, you win on that last one, that's a horrendous situation.

Elbow make me completely emotional all on their own. If I was already losing it, I'm not sure I could bear to listen to them, especially live. But do they have that many quiet numbers? I'd think it'd be hard to hear someone. The biggest issue is probably that they're *from* Manchester (or what is it, "Greater Manchester", I think that's what they call it) so you had a passionate hometown crowd to contend with, right?

Sigh. I adore Elbow. Thread hijack. Sorry. Couldn't help it...

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:39 pm

Sometimes this is cultural.

In high school I went to a movie with an exchange student from Germany, and she proceeded to talk throughout the previews, which was fine except for the volume, but once the movie started she kept going. People around us were getting restless, so I had to interrupt her to say we could continue to talk after the movie was over.

She seemed pretty puzzled by this. I just wrote it off as a cultural thing, but maybe she was just an impolite person who just happened to be from Germany.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:13 am

The French critics for Cahiers du Cinema, some of whom went on to become the directors of the New Wave, would bring full dinners and table settings into movie theaters.

I've also talked about this with friends who were attending movies in the 50s - people would go to movies regardless of the showtime. You'd watch the middle, then the end, then it'd loop back to the beginning, and then you could get up and leave if you felt like it. "This is where I came in," one guy told me, is an expression that stems from that experience. It seems a little alien to me, but I can sort of picture it.

Of course in both those situations, you're dealing with proper theaters that gave you large seats with elbow room and a mildly sloping floor - not like the airplane seats on steep stairs in front of the tiny screen you get nowadays. Manners were different because the space was different. Talking, though, would still be discouraged.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:58 am

Now that I think of it, the same guy who told me the "This is where I came in" story is also the most outspoken guy I know about "listening rooms" and how that's what's wrong with venues nowadays - it's really hard to find a place where people come to listen, as opposed to drinking and socializing with live music going on in the same room. He's a musician, big in the 60s.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:57 am

NatureBoy wrote:I just wrote it off as a cultural thing, but maybe she was just an impolite person who just happened to be from Germany.

I'm not an expert on German movie going, but seeing how in general Germans are polite and formal in all sorts of situations, I sincerely doubt that this was a cultural thing.

Squid

Postby Squid » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:10 am

grant wrote:The French critics for Cahiers du Cinema, some of whom went on to become the directors of the New Wave, would bring full dinners and table settings into movie theaters.

Grant, as usual, thou art amazing. This is a perspective I had never considered. You are absolutely correct.

I have to admit, though, that the first thing that springs to mind is this. ('Bout 2:22 in)

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:38 am

yesterday I went to the Crossing Borders festival: music and literature. It was also one of only 3 European Decemberists shows where they played Hazards of Love completely. I was prepared for a festival audience where not everyone was as fond of or familiar with the D's as me, but dang-doodle: about 2/3 in, a boy and girl come stand behind me talking continuously for two songs. They were so captivated that they didn't see people looking at them. It pissed me off so much that I was less than friendly when I finally told them to shut it.
They did, but then a song later - and in the middle of the song, not at the end of one - the girl taps me on the shoulder to explain why they "had to talk": the girl being 1.50 m. (about 5'1") the boy "had to fill her in on what was happening on stage" because she was behind me and I'm 1.80 (6ft.) tall.
I was so baffled, and anxious to get back to the concert, that I just answered that next time she could kindly tap on shoulder and I could move a bit. The rest of the concert I thought of better responses like: hadn't she better listened to what was going on, could he not have at least talked into her ear a bit more, did it really take 2 whole songs to explain what was going on, couldn't they have come a bit earlier if they really cared to see this, and why oh why did I not go and stand in the front rows where there was likely to be less talking. Ah yeah, I remember, because I'm 6 ft tall and don't want to block everybody's view by standing in front.
Reminder to self: next time I will bite my tongue and move, leaving the stupid talkers do their stupid talking so at least they don't ruin the rest of my show.

Thank you for letting me rant. The show was amazing.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:36 pm

Squid: As ever, I would die 4 u.

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:24 am

In case you were wondering how big/huge/tiny/small/mediumsized the book is....

Aww! :)

orochics

Postby orochics » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:47 pm

I want a TLW Kazoo!

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:16 pm

doh! i also took pics of mine when it arrived. the packaging was just too cute to not document it before i torn it open. if anyone cares, mine is stamped 10/30/09. and i seriously wish i was the person that went "i know! i'll put all of john's rambling tweets into a book!" stupid genius.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:47 pm

Here's a quick review of John's book : http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland ... id=1921992. It says the show this Sunday in Portland is the release party for the book.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”