Messin' With Texas 4/29/10

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

zach

Messin' With Texas 4/29/10

Postby zach » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:08 pm

Messin’ With Texas: Seattle Bands Sing Songs of the Lone Star State feat. members of

VISQUEEN, SHIM, WIDOWER, PABLO TRUCKER, THE LONG WINTERS, THE MALDIVES, THE HEAD & THE HEART,
THEE SGT MAJOR III, HANNALEE, JAMES APOLLO, MOSTLY DIMES, DARK PLUM (feat. Sarah Shannon)
SHELBY EARL, BRYN LUMSDEN, BARTON CARROLL, BEN LONDON, MARTIN FEVEYEAR & more!
a benefit for MusiCares

http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleEv ... Id=1322835

Had anybody heard about this?!? What song/s will John do?

Squid

Re: Messin' With Texas 4/29/10

Postby Squid » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:28 am

A certain 2/3rds bearded trio with syncopated gestures and a proclivity for leather dusters comes to mind.

Why, they're the best thing ever created in Houston! Aside from me, of course.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:27 am

Are we sure John is performing? I don't see it listed under Shows page on the website with the other upcoming John solo shows. I know Eric sat in with one of the bands for the Quadrophenia MusiCares show so I assumed he was the Long Winters member that was performing.

zach

Postby zach » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:48 pm

pahouk wrote:Are we sure John is performing? I don't see it listed under Shows page on the website with the other upcoming John solo shows. I know Eric sat in with one of the bands for the Quadrophenia MusiCares show so I assumed he was the Long Winters member that was performing.

I thought about this option, too.
Maybe it IS Eric.

Clarification?

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:33 am

the ticketweb link doesn't mention any Long Winters member participation, which is even more of a mystery.
But then again, these things are generally such a mystery to the band themselves, that they don't show up on the official site until after someone posts them here first and we discuss who might be in it.

edit: word from the master is he will probably play some keyboard with one of the other bands.

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:34 am

zach wrote:Clarification?

I can assure you that the people who are supposed to put these things on the homepage know as little as you do, aaand it's not for the lack of trying to get an answer.

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:20 pm

I am supposedly playing piano on a Spoon cover in a band featuring Leslie Beatty, Shelby Earl, and Rachel Flotard. I have not rehearsed or listened to the song.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:46 pm

The show was a lot of fun last night. I had to catch a bus so I wasn't able to stay until the very end but I managed to see most of the show. I did see John play keyboards on the Spoon song. In addition he did two Buddy Holly songs. The first he did as a solo. Then Kurt Bloch and Mike Musburger joined him for Not Fade Away. John's footwear was especially stylin'. (They were about at my eye level so they were hard not to notice).

Slightly off-topic rant: I'm getting very tired of all the talking during shows. I don't know if it's the acoustics at the Tractor but it always seems bad at that venue. I know at these kind of shows there's more dead time between songs as bands set up their gear but it seemed like no one stopped talking once the band started to sing. If you didn't come to listen to the music why did you come? If all you wanted to do is drink and talk to your friends there are plenty of other places to go to. End of rant.

zach

Postby zach » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:14 pm

pahouk wrote:In addition he did two Buddy Holly songs. The first he did as a solo. Then Kurt Bloch and Mike Musburger joined him for Not Fade Away.

Do you know what the first song was? I wish I could've/would've gone!

What were the other highlights?

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:07 pm

I'm not that knowledgable about Buddy Holly. I think it was Words of Love. I have to admit I didn't know all the performers and the songs they sang. Everybody was great and there was a large range of material. (Also it started at 9 and when I left at 12:30 they were just about finishing up so it was a long show.) I remember there were great versions of T for Texas and The Cowboy Song but that's mostly because I'm familiar with those songs. Shim was playing a great version of La Grange when I had to leave.

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Sat May 01, 2010 1:38 am

pahouk wrote:Slightly off-topic rant: I'm getting very tired of all the talking during shows. I don't know if it's the acoustics at the Tractor but it always seems bad at that venue. I know at these kind of shows there's more dead time between songs as bands set up their gear but it seemed like no one stopped talking once the band started to sing. If you didn't come to listen to the music why did you come? If all you wanted to do is drink and talk to your friends there are plenty of other places to go to. End of rant.

Tell me about it. I am thinking about getting this tattooed on my back. Then of course I'd have to go to every show shirtless from now on... oh well, I'll just have that printed on a t-shirt. It's pretty much all there is to say about this issue.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Sun May 02, 2010 12:40 pm

Some nice photos from the show at the Ear Candy blog : http://www.earcandybeat.com/?q=node/652.

Edited to add : Here's some footage of Shim doing La Grange: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4FUZ1Uad34.

It sounds like there was a big finale number that I missed (stupid bus schedule). Does anyone know what it was?

Return to “Give Me a Moment”