Central Park SummerStage Show, 6/8/10

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

pahouk

Central Park SummerStage Show, 6/8/10

Postby pahouk » Mon May 03, 2010 6:50 pm

John will be appearing at the Central Park SummerStage show on June 8th, 2010 - http://www.summerstage.org/index1.aspx?BD=21734. According to the website he'll be performing a Simon and Garfunkel song as a duet with someone. Does anyone have any more information? It sounds like it will be a fun show.

Edited to add : It appears that there will also be a sneak preview rehearsal show the night before - http://www.citywinery.com/events/85771.

Squid

Re: Central Park SummerStage Show, 6/8/10

Postby Squid » Mon May 10, 2010 1:36 pm

Duet with Loudon or it didn't happen!

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Tue May 11, 2010 9:36 am

I found this on Aimee Mann's website: http://www.aimeemann.com/news.php?nid=64. It sounds like she will be singing with John. I'm curious what song they'll be performing.

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Tue May 11, 2010 11:41 pm

It's a bummer the cheapest tickets are $69.-! I'm afraid we won't get too many fan reviews/pictures etc. And I really need to see a video of this! Gah.

zach

Postby zach » Wed May 12, 2010 12:02 am

pahouk wrote:I found this on Aimee Mann's website: http://www.aimeemann.com/news.php?nid=64. It sounds like she will be singing with John. I'm curious what song they'll be performing.

Woah. That's kind of big, right?

As for a guess, I'd say The Sound of Silence?

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Wed May 12, 2010 4:54 am

Moni wrote:It's a bummer the cheapest tickets are $69.-! I'm afraid we won't get too many fan reviews/pictures etc. And I really need to see a video of this! Gah.

The rehearsal tickets are a bit cheaper (they start at $25). I really hope some video of this turns up somewhere.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Wed May 12, 2010 12:39 pm

this is a kick-ass thing, for sure!
if they're smart they record it professionally and make some more money for their programme by making it available somehow. Hopefully not for $69 though...

Moni

Postby Moni » Sat May 15, 2010 4:42 am

zach wrote:Woah. That's kind of big, right?

That's what I thought. I'd love to know how that collaboration came about!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sat May 15, 2010 4:50 pm

Remember when John "butchered" that Aimee Man concert at the Largo and she was there?

I'm wondering less about how the collaboration came about, and more about how he still convinced her to do it after that. ;)

Moni

Postby Moni » Thu May 20, 2010 5:33 am

sour29 wrote:Remember when John "butchered" that Aimee Man concert at the Largo and she was there?

I remember that, and that was exactly what I was wondering: How did "You screwed up the verse of my song" become "We should play a song together"...? I guess John's cover wasn't so bad after all :)

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:04 pm

ms Mann was satisfied this time

photo proof

song performed was Only Living Boy in NY

NY Times had a pretty rippingly acid review, but thankfully didn't mention John and Aimee Mann in their 'failed' list. Not in the 'few songs that were good list' either, but hey.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:42 am

Huh. I'm curious about the arrangement there. Was the guy with the deeper voice singing the Garfunkel part? Or was there some swapping of verses?

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:37 pm

In all honesty, the show was an abortion. Aimee and I did Only Living Boy, and we did it fine, although she transposed it up a step-and-a-half to make it easier for her to sing making it impossible for anyone to sing the Garfunkel parts, high or low. So we traded verses and sang in unison. There was no comparison to the version I used to do with Sean Nelson, but then I was just along for the ride and it was fun to be in Central Park and Aimee is great. And the reviewer is correct that Gibbard and St. Vincent were awesome.

But the rest of the show was an embarrassment, and the reviewer is NOT correct that Marc Cohen did an interesting blue-eyed soul rendition, or that there was anything interesting or good about the show whatsoever. None of the singers appeared to have ever heard the music of Simon and Garfunkel, no one appeared to have rehearsed in the slightest, and the performances were lazy, egotistical, and pathetic. As a fan of S&G who has performed their songs over the years I hoped that this would be the chance of a lifetime to play for the masters. I felt "OK" about what Aimee and I did, not great, but the rest it was gross, the whole concert was gross, and I was ashamed to be there. I actually walked off stage during the finale, it was so terrible. Ach. Awful.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:08 am

what a shame, beforehand it seemed like a great event with interesting artists...

Return to “Give Me a Moment”