"The Newton Girls" live at the Crocodile 26 May 2010

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

"The Newton Girls" live at the Crocodile 26 May 2010

Postby Unremarkable » Thu May 27, 2010 12:18 am

Wooooo, great show! My first TLW show in over a year, first show since I've been back in the USA, and first show in the newly remodeled Crocodile (way different, like whoa). I had a great time, it had been too, too long. A bit of a different lineup than we've been used to: John and Eric on guitars and vocals, and two "rookies", Alex on drums, and Andy on bass. No keyboard, it was a rockin' show. Also, the banter was in full effect. Set list:

*new song* (I don't know the title, but awesome)
Fire Island, AK
Teaspoon
Not Moving to Portland
The Sky is Open
Stupid
Obedient to You (another new song!)
Cinnamon
Pushover
The Commander Thinks Aloud
Clouds
Scent of Lime
Rich Wife
Carparts
Ultimatum (rock version)

leigh

Re: "The Newton Girls" live at the Crocodile 26 May 2010

Postby leigh » Thu May 27, 2010 6:06 am

also, another guest (guitar) on Commander Thinks Aloud and John was sporting clear braces...

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:42 am

Thanks for the great details. I wonder who the new guys are, and if they're the latest fixture or a simple fill-in. Specifically, I though J-Roth was still on the official roster? Perhaps not.

Must have been something to see Eric on six-string duty all night!

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Thu May 27, 2010 10:14 am

whoah, amazing setlist!
whoah, new guys!
whoah, Eric on guitar for a whole show!
Am so very jealous (with emphasis on so, very and jealous), and to rub it in, Unremarkable is 'complaining' that not seeing TLW for a year is too long. It's been three frigging years here, mate, and counting!

anyway, photos in Seattle Weekly

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Thu May 27, 2010 11:48 am

Had a great time at the show last night. The Newton Girls definitely rock a bit more than The Long Winters. Some random notes:

It threw me a bit when Eric started to play the guitar. I had forgotten what a great guitarist he is.
I think Andy played the bass for Say Hi's Bumbershoot show.
I noticed the lack of keyboards (because "they would be inappropriate in these times of strife and strufe") the most on Commander. I liked the more rock versions of the other songs but I missed the more plaintive version of Commander.
I've now heard several incarnations of Not Moving to Portland (from solo acoustic to last night's rock version). I'm not sure which version is my favorite but I loved last night's version.
The first song was listed as Super on the paper plate set list from the Three Imaginary Girls site : http://www.threeimaginarygirls.com/blog ... ecret-show.
Someone asked for Hot for Teacher. Alex started to play but then stopped. John chastised the "rookie" for not continuing then issued him a yellow card.
John said he will be doing one show a month in July, August, and September at The Triple Door. He said there will be several special guests at the shows.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Fri May 28, 2010 3:35 am

I'm posting links to photos and previews and stuff about the current run of shows on the Library site, and won't tire you with all here, but must plug Laura's complete photoset.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”