John to Play Three Shows This Summer at The Triple Door

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

pahouk

John to Play Three Shows This Summer at The Triple Door

Postby pahouk » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:19 pm

John will be playing three shows at The Triple Door this summer (in July, August, and September). The tickets go on sale this Friday: http://www.thetripledoor.net/Calendar/E ... 2010-07-08. It doesn't say in the listing but at The Crocodile last week John mentioned that he'll be joined by some special guests.

A Brutaful Smile

Re: John to Play Three Shows This Summer at The Triple Door

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:15 pm

duuuuuuuuude, i can take the kiddo!!!!!

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:37 am

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:19 am

YEEESSSSSS!!!! I HAVE SECURED TICKETS!!!!

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:17 am

I just got my tickets too.

Any guesses for who the special guests are?

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:53 pm

which days are people going? i picked the 1 in august. my family could not handle being drug to all 3 and that one is on a saturday so it's easy for all of us.

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:05 pm

NatureBoy wrote:I just got my tickets too.

Any guesses for who the special guests are?

Kathleen Edwards is a safe guess, all things considered. Maybe a Sean Nelson appearance is in the cards? Ben Gibbard? Other Barsuk / Seattle alum?

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:14 pm

According to the Triple Door website Jason Dodson (from The Maldives) and Karen Korn are appearing at this Thursday's show.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:48 am

Whoa. Crazy awesome show last night. Lots to talk about. The setlist:

Give Me A Moment
Sound of Coming Down
Samaritan
Hindsight
Galaxy's End (a song by John's first Seattle band, Chautauqua, circa 1991)
Copernicus
Shane (a song by John's next Seattle band, The Bun Family Players)
Delicate Hands
Commander Thinks Aloud
Through With Love (A song by The Western State Hurricanes, John's previous band)
Not Moving to Portland
Mimi
Bride and Bridal
Prom Night at Hater High
Ultimatum

As you can see, this was a show for people who like old, rare songs, and banter/long explanations about things. It's a good thing I like both. I was hoping to hear more new material, but I'm not complaining. A few notes: "Galaxy's End" was a song that John said was his first (as a songwriter) in a series of songs about dying in outer space. It was about a group of astronauts in space who choose one of the astronauts to die so that the others may survive. The astronaut accepts his fate, feeling he will meet them all again at "galaxy's end." His band Chautauqua never played a show, even though they rehearsed for over a year. I don't know much about guitars, but "Copernicus" was played with a pretty small Stratocaster that John said was the same model as Ben Gibbard's first guitar. There was lots of delay. For those who have heard a live version of "Shane" floating around out there, this was slightly different, with the chorus and verses in different order, and maybe an extra verse. "Delicate Hands" and "Commander Thinks Aloud" were played on the piano. And when I say piano, I don't mean keyboard, I mean a fucking huge Steinway grand PIANO. It sounded amazing, even though John said it was three times as big as he is good enough to play it.. John said that he really likes half of "Through With Love" and the other half he doesn't care for. He said he wrote Mimi on the beach in Spain with his sister. "Bride and Bridal" and "Prom Night at Hater High" were played on electric guitar. I don't remember what kind, but he said it was the first guitar he ever owned. The crowd chose "Ultimatum" over "It'll Be a Breeze" as the closer.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:33 am

Galaxy's End sounds like something I need to hear.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:08 am

Thanks for the wonderful review, it almost makes up for not being there. That setlist, wow! I too would have thought there would be more new stuff, but maybe he had to get the old out before the new can come in? Both Samaritan and Copernicus haven't been played for ages it seems, and off the top of my head I don't think I heard that John ever played them solo either.

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:35 am

Unremarkable wrote: I don't remember what kind, but he said it was the first guitar he ever owned. The crowd chose "Ultimatum" over "It'll Be a Breeze" as the closer.

That guitar was a Harmony Rocket.

When I interviewed Chris Caniglia for the documentary, he said that Galaxy's End was one of the best songs John ever wrote, so I requested it while in the front filming the "Live at the Showbox" show, and got laughed at for doing so. I'm really glad we got to finally hear that song.

I filmed 5 songs with Laura Mussleman. I'll work on getting those up as soon as possible.

Edit: It was good to see you, Chris. It's been a long time!

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:31 am

John opened by saying these shows were supposed to be an intervention for him. He thought the threat of public humiliation about not having new material would provide an incentive for him to finish some songs he's working on. In fact he had told the Triple Door booking agent that there would be new material. As it turned out the threat of public humiliation was no threat at all and there would be no new songs that night. I'm actualy glad that he chose to do so many older obscure songs. I figure I'll be able to hear the new songs when the album's done but this may have been my one and only chance to hear something like Galaxy's End.

He mentioned something about having a lot of songs about relationships and space and someone in the audience suggested he do a song about a relationship in space. I am totally behind this idea.

Just a note for anyone who's planning to attend the other shows. If you haven't been to the Triple Door you may not be aware of their seating policy. Only groups of four or more get seated at booths. If you show up by yourself, even if you're early, they're going to seat you further to the back. (OK, so I don't know if the last part is a policy but it's happened to me enough that I'm pretty sure it's true. The first part is their official policy.) Two ladies next to me weren't too happy about how far back they were. They tried to see if they could find some more people to join up with to move to a booth closer to the stage but the hostess got kind of annoyed so they stayed put. I guess what I'm suggesting is if you want to be sure to sit closer to the front you might want to arrange to go as a group and reserve a booth ahead of time.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:39 pm

pahouk wrote:Just a note for anyone who's planning to attend the other shows. If you haven't been to the Triple Door you may not be aware of their seating policy. Only groups of four or more get seated at booths. If you show up by yourself, even if you're early, they're going to seat you further to the back. (OK, so I don't know if the last part is a policy but it's happened to me enough that I'm pretty sure it's true. The first part is their official policy.) Two ladies next to me weren't too happy about how far back they were. They tried to see if they could find some more people to join up with to move to a booth closer to the stage but the hostess got kind of annoyed so they stayed put. I guess what I'm suggesting is if you want to be sure to sit closer to the front you might want to arrange to go as a group and reserve a booth ahead of time.

That's weird. I showed up by myself, early, and they pretty much sat me down front center. There were also multiple seats available around me...

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:28 pm

That is strange. I got there about 6:30 and they sat me about 2/3 of the way back, which is where I always seem to get seated. I assumed they were just trying to balance out the customer count for the waitstaff. Maybe next time I'll just ask if I can sit closer.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:54 pm

Unremarkable wrote:Whoa. Crazy awesome show last night. Lots to talk about. The setlist:

Give Me A Moment / Hindsight / Copernicus / Delicate Hands / Through With Love / Not Moving to Portland / Mimi / Bride and Bridal / Ultimatum

Wow. These are a mix of my absolute favourite live songs, and ones that I've been **DYING** to hear live. Or at all. I was just thinking yesterday that I hope Copernicus gets brought out next time the band goes on tour, and I'm pretty sure I bug John about doing a Long Winters version of Through With Love every time he comes to town. It's like the birthday present I always wanted and finally got, but it got lost in the mail...damn this other-side-of-the-continent business!

I'm very happy for and jealous of you guys. That sounds like an astounding night with a (no pun intended) remarkable and unique set list.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:48 pm

pahouk wrote:John opened by saying these shows were supposed to be an intervention for him. He thought the threat of public humiliation about not having new material would provide an incentive for him to finish some songs he's working on. In fact he had told the Triple Door booking agent that there would be new material. As it turned out the threat of public humiliation was no threat at all and there would be no new songs that night.

well, for the sake of world peace and beyond, I think we should design a proper shame campaign if he doesn't play at least, what shall we say, 4 or 5 new songs next time, and hey, I think the third show should be the whole album in its entirety. No but's. In the meantime, I will update my collection of photos of one-toed sloths and nose-picking monkeys, just to be ready if need be.

As for Adam and Laura filming part of the show: excellent news! Drinks on me when I'm in town

Moni

Postby Moni » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:33 am

Liesbeth wrote:
pahouk wrote: Drinks on me when I'm in town

And on me! Uh well, at least metaphorically..... :-/

corkster
Current Heading: South

Postby corkster » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:35 pm

Hey TLW board. Loooooong time listener, and huge Harvey Danger fan here. Been lurking since the internet was an information superhighway.
I recently moved to Vancouver from Australia, and will be making the trek down to Seattle for the August, and most likely, the September shows. I can't believe it, I finally get to see one of my favourite bands! Anyone wanna meet up and be my concert buddy?

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:13 am

Hi corkster! I don't live anywhere near Seattle or Vancouver (hear the mushrooms are nice), but neither does Liesbeth and she's going there, so maybe I should too.

Doubt it'll happen by September, though. Unless someone wants to buy me airline tickets. And think up a convincing alibi.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”