TLW contribute for Led Zeppelin tribute.

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

orochics

TLW contribute for Led Zeppelin tribute.

Post by orochics »

Source: http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/09/0 ... n-tribute/ (Track List after the jump)

To be honest, the independent music scene in Portland, Oregon isn’t the first thing that comes to mind when I think Led Zeppelin. Kick ass rock music and calls for a reunion are though. So is a $691 book. But thanks to the folks at Jealous Butcher Records, you may also soon associate the iconic UK outfit with the likes of M. Ward and Death Cab for Cutie’s Chris Walla.

These independent musicians and more — including The Long Winters, Loch Lomond, Laura Viers, Portland Cello Project, and Nick Jaina — have covered Led Zeppelin classics for an upcoming tribute album titled From The Land of Ice And Snow: The Songs of Led Zeppelin. So, for example, Mr. Ward tackled “Bron-Yr-Aur”, while Walla did “In The Evening”. And for those wondering, Kelly Blair Bauman handled “Stairway to Heaven”.

The 33-track, 2-disc set will arrive starting October 12th and will be available on a double gatefold CD. Also included will be artwork created by Carson Ellis of The Decemberists. You can find the complete tracklist below and artwork to your top right.

What’s more, a percentage of proceeds from sales of the compilation will go to First Octave, a music education-based organization that believes that consistent music education fosters creative as well as intellectual values and is essential to a balanced core curriculum in schools.

It appears we can hear a cover of "In the Light" due out October 12th. I hope it wont be too hard to get this 2 disc set.
pahouk

Re: TLW contribute for Led Zeppelin tribute.

Post by pahouk »

It looks like this CD is available for pre-order now: http://jealousbutcher.com/iceandsnow/preorder.html.
pahouk

Post by pahouk »

My copy showed up on Saturday. I haven't had a chance to listen to it all but I did listen to TLW's song. The credits list John as vocals and something called an ebow, Nabil on drums, and Eric as everything else. I was curious to see if they would indie rockify (if I may make up a word) the song but it sounded fairly true to the original to me.
sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by sour29 »

pahouk wrote:My copy showed up on Saturday. I haven't had a chance to listen to it all but I did listen to TLW's song. The credits list John as vocals and something called an ebow, Nabil on drums, and Eric as everything else. I was curious to see if they would indie rockify (if I may make up a word) the song but it sounded fairly true to the original to me.

Ebow is a really cool battery powered magnet that causes the guitar string to vibrate indefinitely, as long as the ebow is held over it, basically creating infinite sustain. It often sounds like bowed instruments, ie. the violin, because of this.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

i got my copy yesterday and after hearing the song rushed to the board to talk about it, only to find the website server was down due to a tech problem. Bad timing, this song is so sweet!
I too jumped to TLW straight away. Now, don't necessarily go thinking Led Zep is not your thing, I'm by no means an expert, but this over-8-minutes rendition of In the Light rocks. From what I know the LW rendition indeed stayed pretty true to the original, which is a gamble, seeing how it's not that easy to live up to a band with such a distinctive sound, not in the least because of the vocals of Robert Plant. But truly, this song rocks in all it's guitar freaking glory and John's vocals are amazing. I'm in love with this song.
Gotta get it on my phone: at over 8 1/2 minutes, I can play it a good three times on one bike-ride to work. Yippee.
grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Post by grant »

sour29 wrote:It often sounds like bowed instruments, ie. the violin, because of this.

That "woooooo WEEEooooooo" sound in the background of Bowie's "Heroes" is an ebow.
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

grant wrote:
sour29 wrote:It often sounds like bowed instruments, ie. the violin, because of this.

That "woooooo WEEEooooooo" sound in the background of Bowie's "Heroes" is an ebow.

It's also featured very prominently on R.E.M.'s fantastic E-Bow The Letter (feat. Patti Smith!)