The "Blue Diamonds" video..

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

call me stupid

Post by call me stupid »

Any chance that the video will be posted on the LW site???
Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Post by Merlin »

call me stupid wrote:Any chance that the video will be posted on the LW site???

I'd love to put the video online (and in a friendlier format than MTV's providing), but unfortunately a file of that size would be a killer under our current server constraints.

We are always looking for help locating the extra disk space and bandwidth that would allow us to share larger files with everybody, for what it's worth.

So not immediately, but, yeah, we're working on it. :)
BladeRunner

Post by BladeRunner »

psst, Merlin this help?

p.s. eric! = nice
Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Post by Merlin »

BladeRunner wrote:psst, Merlin this help?

Hmmmm...well it certainly could. My gosh that's a lot of tasty bandwidth. I must speak with this Eric! and see how he can be plied.

:)
eric!

Post by eric! »

according to my cpanel:

Space Available: 595.30 Megabytes
Bandwidth Usage: 2336.77 Megabytes

this is out 30gb of monthly bandwidth, and no you can't have all of my remaining disk space, as it's not all mine. ;P

i'm willing to host for at least until august, providing you act fast!™ and let me know how you'd like to deal with the files.
meg
Mod Emeritus

Post by meg »

A Brutaful Smile wrote:not yet, but it will be on 120 minutes at some point.

I don't think 120 Minutes exists anymore. Maybe "Subterranean"? A poor substitute for 120 Minutes (great bands, bad interviews, the same damn videos every week), but this video could only improve it.
Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Post by Merlin »

Yeah, Subterranean would definitely be the place for it as far as I know.

Apparently the video has been "accepted" by MTV, which is the first step toward some kind of airing; its appearance on their website with according-to-Hoyle bio materials would seem like a good sign (as well as indicate that someone's doing their job pretty well).

[<cattywampus> Was it just me or was that interviewer fellow actually making poor Neko fall asleep last week? She seemed completely bored by the proceedings. Can I also just continue to mention how much Carl Newman is completely my hero and an unheralded genius? Thanks. </cattywampus>]
omphale

Post by omphale »

What a bunch of silly kids!

I love the way John looks like he's perpetually on the verge of giggling when he sings. I'm not sure if that's irony or actual glee, but either way it's endearing.

And the Sad Sweetheart of the Rodeo video is totally badass. I had no idea Sean was such a fine dancer!!
A Brutaful Smile

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

meg wrote:I don't think 120 Minutes exists anymore. Maybe "Subterranean"? A poor substitute for 120 Minutes (great bands, bad interviews, the same damn videos every week), but this video could only improve it.

doesn't MTV2 still do it? i dunno, that's just what i was told...that it would be on 120 minutes.
Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Post by Merlin »

A Brutaful Smile wrote:doesn't MTV2 still do it? i dunno, that's just what i was told...that it would be on 120 minutes.

Well, it's basically the same show and format. But the 120 Minutes name sort of painted them into a corner in terms of the running time.

Plus "60 Minutes" was already taken. :)
Cynical_Satan
Current Heading: North

Post by Cynical_Satan »

Well, it's on MTV/MTV2's radar, if it gets played is something else entirely. Who directed this fine, fine piece of work? Sean?
NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Post by NatureBoy »

I heard it was a friend of John's...but I'm not sure which. For there are many...
smelllikelime

Post by smelllikelime »

Darn 56k and darn real player, but the few frames I did catch were delightful!
meg
Mod Emeritus

Post by meg »

Merlin wrote:[<cattywampus> Was it just me or was that interviewer fellow actually making poor Neko fall asleep last week? She seemed completely bored by the proceedings. Can I also just continue to mention how much Carl Newman is completely my hero and an unheralded genius? Thanks. </cattywampus>]

I missed the NP interview, but I saw both the Nada Surf and Ted Leo episodes of the show and both interviews were incredibly painful--Mr. Jim Shearer doesn't seem to know how to make anyone feel comfortable, his questions are generally dull, and wow, hey, how about that motif of interviewing "underground" bands in basements?

I'm very cranky about this.
miss michaela dee

Post by miss michaela dee »

Merlin wrote:I don't think there are any other Long Winters videos, but, in a previous life, John played keys in Sean's swell old band--and got tied up by Ione Skye at the end of the video for "Sad Sweetheart of the Rodeo." Tough break, eh?

Great video:
http://www.thinkseattle.com/harveydanger/

oh my god. that's got to be far and away one of the funniest things i've ever seen. what a brilliant video!
miss michaela dee

Post by miss michaela dee »

Liz wrote:I guess either grant or miss michaela dee will have to give us a Lacan film crit on that matter (Bellour might be more appropriate here but who really wants that...)

I'm sure there's something in Lacan about subtitles, human pinatas, and icecream.

Let me look into it, and I'll get back to you. :D
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

blue diamonds vid on WIPTF Munich release

Post by Liesbeth »

According to the Munich website the European version of WIPTF includes Bonus CD-ROM "Blue Diamonds" video.

That might be a solution for disfunctioning real players and the like...
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Re: blue diamonds vid on WIPTF Munich release

Post by Moni »

still no lacan?
~sniff~

Liesbeth wrote:According to the Munich website the European version of WIPTF includes Bonus CD-ROM "Blue Diamonds" video.

That might be a solution for disfunctioning real players and the like...

ooh nifty!
i'm wondering if the artwork is gonna be slightly different? (it usually is on european releases)
well, will have to get it anyway...
hooray! :)
grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Re: blue diamonds vid on WIPTF Munich release

Post by grant »

Liz wrote:still no lacan?
~sniff~

Consider this an illustration of the eternally retreating object of desire, the desire defined by absence or, indeed, the desire as absence itself.

In other words, our hands are tied. We may be able to mouth the words, but you will not hear our actual speech, only a prerecorded soundtrack, playing out a familiar scene. All the necessary archetypes already exist within your imaginary - the cardboard villain, gloating over the lack of analysis, the lack that is desire for analysis. The henchmen, the femme fatale, always shadows, always retreating under the gaze. The child beating against the grown self, recognizing the Other within the Self by acknowledging the split between Self/Other as the configuration and prefiguration of desire-as-violence, the violence of the pinata AS and AND the violence of analysis.

So you will have to wait.
Bepo

For most people, that would have been considered odd.

Post by Bepo »

And by most people, I refer both to the subject and the fans. But even those deeply mired in denial would admit that you have to be slightly different than your average plebian to work with, and-or listen to, The Long Winters.

So I rather enjoyed the video, all two by three inches of my MTV viewing screen. While I did find pleasure in both the running ice-cream commentary and the piñata finale, I would have to say of all the little moments this video presented- I enjoyed John getting his hat knocked off. I'm not even going to pretend to understand while that struck me more than anything else.

Bepo