Stupid: The perfect pop song?

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Mr Lime

Stupid: The perfect pop song?

Post by Mr Lime »

I had an interesting experience while listening to WIPTF in the car with my friend yesterday that I think many of you will appreciate. My friend is fledgling musician, poor soul, and is commited to the 'pop sound.' While this is very frustrating when he supports artists like Avril Lavigne he also likes bands that are somewhat more substantive like Everclear, Phantom Planet, Third Eye Blind, etc. Not that these are my favorite bands, but I like them worlds more than Avril or Michelle Branch. Ugh. At any rate, I have come to the conclusion that "Stupid" is about as close to a perfect pop song as I have ever heard. I truly believe that if it were on the soundtrack to say, American Wedding or How To Deal we would be listening to it on FM radio on a regular basis. I used my friend as litmus paper to test my hypothesis. I played it for my friend without telling him the name of the band, and his exact quote was "This is the song I've been trying to write for my entire life."
This song is pop at its most basic core. I don't say this as a criticism of the song, I think it is fantastic, but I believe that of all the Long Winters songs it has the biggest breakout potential. Whether or not the band would want this to occur is another matter entirely, but I found it quite interesting that a person commited to the pop sound would have reacted as postively as he did to the song. Of course, I don't think any of the other songs on this album have the same pop appeal as Stupid, and Blue Diamonds is definately an awesome cut and an awesome single off an album this diverse and wonderful (although it might not have been my first choice).
Another interesting point that came out of the conversation is that he said, "I can see why you like this band, they sound like Harvey Danger." I was fairly shocked by the comment since I don't think the Long Winters sound that much like Harvey Danger, but he had no idea Sean is a member of the Long Winters. He knows (and how could he not know at this point) that Harvey Danger is my favorite band, so I guess he was looking for connections. He thought that New Girl sounded a bit like 'Save it For Later' which he heard on one of my previous mixes. . . I thought it was pretty funny that he would accidently get it right, especially when comparing New Girl to a song that Harvey Danger covered to begin with! Still, I give him props for being at least somewhat correct. Anyway, a long and rambling post, but I thought I'd share with the group.
stephanie

but you have no idea

Post by stephanie »

Briefly and in direct response to the title of yr post: YES.

"Stupid" has been stunning me senseless since just after TWYCDIH hit the streets.
The first (or second or third) time I ever saw TLW, I declared it my favourite anything, ever -- especially in a live setting, they never fail to just BRING IT with that song. When we saw them in Bellingham, largely indifferent audience and not-exactly-spectacular sound system notwithstanding, I rocked out and sang along so hard to "Stupid" that I was shaking.

(Did I just admit that in a public forum? Wait. Fuck.)

In a perfect world, it'd be a chart-topper.
Every time I hear it, under the current of singing along at the very top of my voice, I'm sort of unsettled by how viciously catchy and shiningly pop-pitch-perfect and all-around brilliant it is. The vocal harmonies in the chorus are one of my favourite things about being alive.

I could probably extol the virtues of "Stupid" alone for hours.

Damn.
That one sentence far exceeds the limit of unabashed nerdiness from a single person in any given post, which means it's officially time for the morning's first cup of coffee.
mildlyrestarted

Re: but you have no idea

Post by mildlyrestarted »

stephanie wrote:I could probably extol the virtues of "Stupid" alone for hours.

i dare you. :)
jhb

After 80 or so listens...

Post by jhb »

...of WIPTF that is.

Scared Straight is in fact the perfect pop song.

With Stupid a close second :-)
Midori

Post by Midori »

While I personally do like Scared Straight better, I don't think that it has the broad appeal that Stupid does. I think Stupid would be more accessible to the masses.
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

Midori wrote:While I personally do like Scared Straight better, I don't think that it has the broad appeal that Stupid does. I think Stupid would be more accessible to the masses.

Through first listen, I thought that too, but when I give other people listens, they usually prefer Scared Straight, as do I.
Midori

Post by Midori »

Unremarkable wrote:
Midori wrote:While I personally do like Scared Straight better, I don't think that it has the broad appeal that Stupid does. I think Stupid would be more accessible to the masses.

Through first listen, I thought that too, but when I give other people listens, they usually prefer Scared Straight, as do I.

Yea, but your friends aren't neccessarily an accurate sampling of the unwashed masses. They're probably cooler.
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

The thing is - I have yet to meet a person who can not relate to the lyrics of Stupid
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

Liz wrote:The thing is - I have yet to meet a person who can not relate to the lyrics of Stupid

very good point!

musically my vote would go to Shapes, it just sticks in your head no matter what - and that counts for a lot in my book on popness, try to hear a Kylie Minogue song and not sing it for the rest of the day - but the lyrics don't have the immediate appeal of Stupid.
meg
Mod Emeritus

Post by meg »

Liz wrote:The thing is - I have yet to meet a person who can not relate to the lyrics of Stupid

It would make a nice theme song for Craigslist Missed Connections, wouldn't it?
Moni

Post by Moni »

meg wrote:

It would make a nice theme song for Craigslist Missed Connections, wouldn't it?

exactly...
interesting site.
as an aside, i thought serendipity (the movie) sucked. john cusack or not.
meg
Mod Emeritus

Post by meg »

Liz wrote:as an aside, i thought serendipity (the movie) sucked. john cusack or not.

It did not suck as hard as Money For Nothing. Worst Cusack film EVER. Worse than One Crazy Summer!
i love my car

Post by i love my car »

Stupid... the perfect pop song... available to listen to on my international Northwest flight!!! Oooh, booyah!

eh, but I like Shapes better too.
LoveSickJerk

Said I Love Trouble

Post by LoveSickJerk »

However, Identity was very cool. Yay John Cusak!

And right now, It'll be a breeze and The Sound of Coming Down are ranking. With Cinnamon, Prom Night At Hatter High, and Scared straight leading back up, and the rest in reserve, cause it used to be the other way around. damnit, im a listener!