John at The Showbox 4/7/13

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

pahouk

John at The Showbox 4/7/13

Postby pahouk » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:04 pm

John will be appearing at The Showbox on 4/7/13 with Kathleen Edwards and Dave Bazan : http://www.showboxonline.com/eventdetai ... _id=240198. That really is an amazing lineup!

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Re: John at The Showbox 4/7/13

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:32 pm

thanks for posting this, Pat, you are totally essential in keeping the website up to date!
(Well, Facebook today, website tomorrow...)

It will probably be ALL PUNK ROCK!
(http://www.seattleweekly.com/2013-03-06 ... shit/full/)

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:51 pm

Liesbeth wrote:thanks for posting this, Pat, you are totally essential in keeping the website up to date!
(Well, Facebook today, website tomorrow...)

It will probably be ALL PUNK ROCK!
(http://www.seattleweekly.com/2013-03-06 ... shit/full/)

John posted something about the show on Twitter but it got swamped pretty quickly by his arguments with apparently everyone on the internet. I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised by how passionate everyone is about punk rock. The last time I looked the article had over 200 comments.I lost track of how many people John is arguing with on Twitter.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:12 am

I like David Rees' seven-years-earlier rebuttal. Minutemen!

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:19 pm

I just got an email that the show time has been moved to 8 (doors at 7). I wouldn't want anyone to miss any of the show.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:24 am

Just a quick recap of the show. Some of you may remember John's summer residency at the Triple Door a few years back. The second show was supposed to be with Kathleen Edwards and Dave Bazan. Unfortunately minutes before the doors were supposed to open the pipes broke and the show got cancelled. Last night John talked about how everyone had been so primed for the show and how the cancellation left a "show-sized hole in his show soul". Last night's show was kind of a do-over for that missed show. This was the first time I've been to a seated show at the Showbox. For a quieter show like this I think it worked well. I think it helped keep people from talking during the show, which is my pet peeve. Scott Simpson came out and told a few jokes. Lara Meyerratken, as the opener, performed a few solo songs. I hadn't heard her music before and I liked it a lot. Then Kathleen, John, and Dave came out and joined Lara. They took turns performing solo and backing each other up. I'm not as familiar with Dave and Kathleen's work so I'm afraid I can't name the songs they did. John opened with Ultimatum. He started Hindsight twice but just couldn't finish the song so he switched to Scared Straight. Later in the show he did Connections in Nashville (which I don't get to hear too often) and Same Song (so glad I got to hear it live). Everyone closed with Commander. In between there was much laughing and sex advice. As Kathleen mentioned it was like they let all of us watch their rehearsal.

Here's a short clip from Scott Simpson of their rehearsal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4aJzvx1 ... e=youtu.be.

leigh

Postby leigh » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:50 pm

Good summary, Pahouk. Though I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed. I would have enjoyed watching a rehearsal quality show if I didn't have to pay $100 for tickets + babysitter. Throughout, John's unique ability to truly entertain via banter stood out but unfortunately 30+ minutes of banter by the other performers was pretty dull.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:08 pm

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the show. I actually thought everyone was pretty funny. For me the only awkward part was when Kathleen was introducing a new song and she started to talk about her recent breakup. It was obviously still really painful for her and I just wanted someone to comfort her and tell her she didn't have to talk about it if she didn't want to. I think she almost seemed relieved when someone called out a request for a different song. Aside from that I was laughing throughout the show. I really liked the change of pace of the show and had a lot of fun.

Edited to add: Here's Commander from the show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtIKjAtxzx0

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:56 am

pahouk wrote:For me the only awkward part was when Kathleen was introducing a new song and she started to talk about her recent breakup. It was obviously still really painful for her and I just wanted someone to comfort her and tell her she didn't have to talk about it if she didn't want to.

Depending on how new the song was (whether it's braaaand, brand new, or just new), this pretty much describes her entire last tour. I saw her perform in Hamilton around this time last year, at a venue only some blocks away from a house she'd lived in with her ex-husband (amazing guitarist Colin Cripps) -- and the heartbreak she was experiencing would have been really uncomfortable if it wasn't channeled into some of the best performances of the songs I'd ever heard. I saw her a couple more times along the way, and the stories were often the same, the heartbreak almost as palpable.

Of course, if it's a NEWER song than Voyageur, it can also be about her break up with Bon Iver/Justin Vernon. I think a lot of added pressure was put on her during the touring of Voyageur, because all the media wanted to talk with her about was the fairytale romance that blossomed between the two during the recording of the album, and rarely the songs, shows, and album (outside of the context of Vernon's involvement) themselves.

I've always enjoyed the banter at Roderick and Edwards shows, but I can see how $100+ on tickets and a loose performance would be frustrating. I would personally love for the three of them to put together a really tight set of 20 songs or so, and take it on tour. Oh, to dream....

Thansks for the reviews, all. Keep them coming.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:50 pm

She didn't mention his name but she was talking about Justin. She started to introduce the song by saying she wanted to thank a guy named Chris in town. Chris Kornelis writes for the Seattle Weekly. Last year he wrote an article about Kathleen saying people should stop always referring to her as Justin's girlfriend when they write about her.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:51 pm

...Sex advice?

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:09 pm

grant wrote:...Sex advice?

Kathleen, somewhat jokingly, wanted to get the audience's opinion on an issue they had been discussing at rehearsal, "for a friend". To keep it clean I will simply say that it was definitely unusual problem and the discussion amongst the band members degenerated pretty quickly. We were laughing pretty hard at my table. It was that kind of a show.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”