How will you feel then?

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Betty Felon

How will you feel then?

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:40 pm

The Long Winters are so good. So unbelievably good. We all know it’s just a matter of time before they are unbelievably huge.

While we wish the band members the best and they surely deserve to be filthy rich and ridiculously famous, how will you guys feel when you can’t see them in an intimate setting anymore?

When there are no more sweaty hugs? When you have to stand in line next to some guy in a Korn tshirt to buy $35 tickets to watch them behind a string of obscenely huge bouncers in a stadium with bad sound? When your obscurantist music snob friend (we all have one) starts to accuse them of selling out? When John starts dating Drew Barrymore?

BladeRunner

Postby BladeRunner » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:25 pm

lies, lies, LIES!

they'll never do that to us.......

heather

Postby heather » Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:28 pm

I can't wait for that to happen.

I really want them to play a back to back song extravaganza with Death Cab on TRL. I will be up in the front, rockin out hand in hand with 13 yr olds smeared in glitter. Not that I like 13 yr olds, glitter, or yeah. But it would be freakin HEE-larious.

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:07 pm

i would be thoroughly freaked.

omphale

Postby omphale » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:43 am

i dunno. all sounds ok except for the bad sound system part.

i might have to join the throngs of fans-with-bands trying to hitch a ride on their success...that would be pretty pathetic and sorry...

but really, fame is just not that much fun. i'm almost completely certain the boys are having the most fun they're likely to have in their career as rockstars right now. i have a strange feeling they enjoy the sweaty hugs as much as you do...

so maybe they won't go down that path, even if they could. people have certainly made weirder choices.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:05 am

I hear what you are saying, but do you really think it's something they would have control over? Can you make less people buy tickets to your shows? Continue to play small gigs even though there are arenas of fans?

I'm thinking of Wilco here. At least in Chi, you just can't see them. Thier drummer's side projects sell out. They aren't behaving obnoxiously or plastered all over MTV and Rollingstone, but you aren't gonna see them at a venue under 2000 people ever again.

I guess I'm drawn. I'm delighted at a good band's success. And I love sharing The Long Winters with new people. But I'm afraid of a time when I can't see my favorite bands the way I want to see them.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:49 am

truthfully???

i'd have the biggest most ugliest screaming and kicking tantrum ever witnessed.

and then i might be forced to resort to..."DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM???"...in order to get around security to get that sweaty hug. ;)

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:10 pm

Betty Felon wrote:but you aren't gonna see them at a venue under 2000 people ever again.

There are bands that maintain some kinda approachability even when they are really big, and I think R.E.M. are a fine example of that. For a band who tour arenas only, they are doing everything they can to close the gap, by doing some small scale shows (and they know how to make a 5.000 venue seem like something intimate...), by doing extra things through their website and fanclubs, by staying down-to-earth.

Thing is, I'd rather see my favourite bands in large venues than not at all because they split, which happens all too easily if a certain threshold of fans isn't reached at some point.

Anyway, wouldn't TLW post a secret password in the treehouse section of this board, for us to get our share of sweaty hugs.

meg
Mod Emeritus

Postby meg » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:38 pm

I'll feel HILARIOUS.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:51 pm

meg wrote:I'll feel HILARIOUS.

How does one go about feeling hilarious? Sounds like fun.

meg
Mod Emeritus

Postby meg » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:52 pm

It's like snorting pop up your nose, only it's HILARITY bubbling from within, not carbonated beverages.

HILARIOUS: Now a feeling.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:02 pm

sounds messy. going around snorting hilarity all over everything.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:24 pm

Ok, given some post show thought, I've done a complete 180 on this issue. For completely selfish reasons, I can't wait until they go bigtime.

The small shows are great. They are intimate. You get to talk to the band boys and they are smart and funny and adorable. Everyone is nice and civilized.

But when the music is playing, you feel the wiggle chemicals, and just when you are about to rock out, some doofus taps you on the shoulder and asks how you know all the words. You never get completely pulled out of self-consciousness because the guy next to you keeps eyeing you concerned about spilling his beer.

I can't wait until I'm standing in the middle of 2000+ people who all know the words to every song and completely lose their shit the minute "Carparts" comes on. I can't wait to jump up and down and be smushed in a mass of people and then collapse and lean on your friends for "Scent of Lime" only to go nuts again for "New Girl". And I want it so loud my ears ring the next day.

That's it, everyone I know is getting Long Winters cds for Christmas. Including my Grandma.

the end,
by Betty

heather

Postby heather » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:01 pm

I am getting myself another copy of When I Pretend To Fall for Christmas. I think the one I have is starting to skip from being played so much. Or maybe my discman is a piece of shit. Who knows? Alls I know is that I'm buyin me some muzak when I gets paid.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:03 pm

heather wrote:I am getting myself another copy of When I Pretend To Fall for Christmas. I think the one I have is starting to skip from being played so much. Or maybe my discman is a piece of shit. Who knows? Alls I know is that I'm buyin me some muzak when I gets paid.

I still needs to gets me a copy of DCFC's Transatlanticism.

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:25 am

Betty Felon wrote:
I can't wait until I'm standing in the middle of 2000+ people who all know the words to every song and completely lose their shit the minute "Carparts" comes on.

I think I’d feel semi-hilarious (would that be snorting up hilarity at a lower frequency or a smaller amplitude? Huh).
2,000+ is a nice number, but a 15,000-arena or maybe even a stadium – I don’t know. But on the other hand if that’d mean they play lots and lots of shows in Europe, that’d be great of course.

LWnumbaunofan

TRL!!!!!!!!!!

Postby LWnumbaunofan » Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:19 pm

Yeah guys!!!

John, Eric, Shawn, and Michael would be TOTALLY requested if they were just given one shot to be on TRL, my favorite TV show!!!!!!!! I just know that they would become just as popular, if not more, than Justin Timberlake or Britney!!!!!!!! Maybe they could go on tour with them, and that would be a really good way for them to gain a really big fan base. Those musicians sell out shows all over the world. It would be way cool if they could just get a chance to reach out to all of those people. :-) :-) :-0

Luv to all the LW fans,
the LW's Numero Uno fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Re: TRL!!!!!!!!!!

Postby NatureBoy » Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:23 pm

LWnumbaunofan wrote:Yeah guys!!!

John, Eric, Shawn, and Michael would be TOTALLY requested if they were just given one shot to be on TRL, my favorite TV show!!!!!!!! I just know that they would become just as popular, if not more, than Justin Timberlake or Britney!!!!!!!! Maybe they could go on tour with them, and that would be a really good way for them to gain a really big fan base. Those musicians sell out shows all over the world. It would be way cool if they could just get a chance to reach out to all of those people. :-) :-) :-0

Luv to all the LW fans,
the LW's Numero Uno fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just threw up in my mouth...

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:27 pm

I think someone is playing a very cruel joke on us.

LWnumbaunofan

Confused

Postby LWnumbaunofan » Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:34 pm

Unremarkable and N8TR Boi,
Why on earth would you say that???????

I'm the newest and biggest fan of the LW's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just want them to be super famous just like Britney and JT, why is that wrong??????
I still LUV U ALL
and want U to Join My new LW's Fan club!!!
PM ME!!!!!!!

Return to “Give Me a Moment”